This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

That Travel Thread

I couldn't find a thread that was about traveling, so I am making one.

Specifically I made this thread to ask opinions on which city to visit in Germany. Me and my girlfriend are gonna be taking a trip through Europe probably early next year. I did one a couple years ago going through Amsterdam, Prague, and Vienna. This time I'd like to visit London, go back to Amsterdam, and possibly head up to Stockholm too. I also was thinking about swinging through Germany for a night or two. Anyone have any suggestions on which city to visit? I was thinking Berlin or Munich.

Comments

• Hamburg is really really pleasant.

Luke will say it's boring, but I particularly enjoy bumming around Munich and spending time in Bavarian beergardens there.
  • edited October 2015
    Greg said:
    Strange it didn't come up when I google searched. Apparently I was also the last person to post in it.
    Rym said:

Hamburg is really really pleasant.

Luke will say it's boring, but I particularly enjoy bumming around Munich and spending time in Bavarian beergardens there.

Bumming around beergardens sounds like something I would be interested in.

We may also opt to try a different approach. I've seen deals for Rome/Barca which I think would be neat. And I've seen some for Reykjavik/London as well which would be cool.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I don't know much about Munich because I've never visited as a tourist. The European Juggling Convention it hosted in 2011 was the biggest juggling event ever, but unfortunately due to Bavaria being Bavaria, it was also the worst EJC in a decade, badly organized, and constantly made not-fun by security and police. That colours my view of the city ;)

Berlin and Hamburg are both worth visiting!
  • This is actually somewhat relevant. My wife and I will be in Berlin for our honeymoon in less than a month. Any places we should visit specifically that are more worthwhile than the rest? At this point the only place we have agreed on is the Tiergarten and surrounding areas.
  • It depends on what you're into. Nightlife? Food? Comedy? Varieté? Music? Sex clubs? History? Architecture?
  • It depends on what you're into. Nightlife? Food? Comedy? Varieté? Music? Sex clubs? History? Architecture?

I would say: food, theater/music, museums, and architecture. My wife and I both prefer more relaxed settings, so clubs and nightlife are not our thing.
  • I went to munich a few years back and had a pleaseng experience. I fondly remember eating dinner in the Hafbrahaus with my family and german relative while Barcelona fans marched the street after a Munich v Barcelona soccer game and were met bet riot police.
    I found german wine country to be very pleasent as well, although less riot-y.
  • The shitty thing about transit through Dubai Airport is how the essentially discriminate against any airline that isn't Emirates. If you fly a non Emirates flight through here you usually have to get your luggage, you can't check it through. If that's the case you have to leave the terminal and re enter, if you're lucky enough to be on an airline that drops you off at the main terminal. If you're on a low cost airline you then have to take a taxi from terminal 2 to terminal 3. Ok, not the end of the world, however, you can't check in for US flights until 4 hours before the flight, so lets say you have an 8 hour layover... 4 hours are spent in front of a closed check in desk, when you should be in the lounge you flew 86,000 miles last year for!

Sigh.