This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cross-Network Play

Microsoft has some interesting ideas for the future of consoles. Basically, they want cross-network play between various consoles. Whether you own an Xbox One, PC, or PS4, you can connect with other players on the same title.

It sounds like a golden idea on paper, but holy fuck, wouldn't there be massive lawsuits coming out of this?

Comments

• Why would there be lawsuits? Microsoft just gives the option, I don't think there will be any Xbox-Playstation crossplay going on without Sony's approval.
  • Apsup said:

without Sony's approval.

Exactly.
  • Microsoft may publish a standard, but it's entirely up to Sony/developers to adopt it.
  • Hasn't Sony had cross-play with PC since... Portal 2 on the PC?
  • Matt said:

Hasn't Sony had cross-play with PC since... Portal 2 on the PC?

Nope, they've had one since, but only one AFAIK: Rocket League.
  • Cross play among all devices and consoles would be amaze balls.
  • Cross play among all devices and consoles would be amaze balls.

That would be super boss. I mean, no reason that you can't plug a KbM set into a console(other than the companies who make them not allowing it), no reason you can't plug a controller into a PC(and many of us do). I've never gone in for all that PC master race bullshit, far as I'm concerned, let gaming be for everyone - cross platform across all devices means we all win.

Ironically, the PC master race people who get their jollies from being better than everyone else rather than enjoying games would be the stiffest opposition to this.
  • edited March 2016
    War Thunder has had PS4 and PC playing together for a whIle now. Also havnt KBM players always curb stomped controllerbros?

I think for a game like The Division or Rocqueto League it could work good. But even War Thundah I consistently see comments how the PS4 players get rolled.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • SWATrous said:

War Thunder has had PS4 and PC playing together for a whIle now. Also havnt KBM players always curb stomped controllerbros?

I think for a game like The Division or Rocqueto League it could work good. But even War Thundah I consistently see comments how the PS4 players get rolled.

Generally yes, but they could probably implement something to get around that. Assuming the game knows what you are using, you could potentially just ad an extra filter to the games matchmaker for input devices and if you don't care just leave it off.
  • Generally yes, but they could probably implement something to get around that. Assuming the game knows what you are using, you could potentially just ad an extra filter to the games matchmaker for input devices and if you don't care just leave it off.

Yep - it would be trivial to implement some sort of detection for device type. Also, it would kind of be a non-issue, if you just allowed KBM or controller on all platforms.

• edited March 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Whatever kind of handicap gets put in, I can't imagine it going on without much vocal complaint. I'm not saying it can't be implemented or that it won't be the norm over time; but I imagine much weeping and gnashing of teeth until the teeth are fully cut.
  • I'm pretty sure the ps3 supported kbm