This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

You know you're a geek when...

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
I'm sure you guys have all seen topics like this on other boards, and I didn't see one here.

When you see somthing awesome in RL, you have an impulse to hit your SS button.
When you've mastered the art of guiding a gnat on your monitor with your cursor.
You've had an uptime of over 168 hours.

Go on.

Comments

• When people talk about a "PDA" you think of a personal digital assistant rather than a public display of affection.
  • When you are the host of a podcast called GeekNights.
  • When you download any podcast that has the word Geek on it and your day is not complete if you do not listen to GeekNights :D
  • edited October 2006
    * When you are awaken in the middle of the night to your apartment complex's fire alarm and you smell smoke, one of the first things you grab is your backup external hard drive (true story)

* When a good portion of your conversation between you and you're friends consist of internet memes, 4chan and fark quotes, video game/movie/tv show/comic book references and other assorted stuff from the intertubes.

* When you spend more time tinkering around with your computer settings and messing around in the innards of your desktop then maintaining your car.

* When the amount of computers and electrical gadgets on your desk is worth more then your car.

* When your anime and manga collection is almost worth as much as your car.. -___-
    Post edited by Kite on
  • *When you say ZOMG in actual conversation...and know what it means
    *You read technical manuals out of genuine interest
    *You read bad comic books to waste time as a teenager instead of trashy magazines (more applicable to girl geeks, maybe >_>)
    *You're trying to convert everyone you know to Firefox/Linux despite being met with failure on all fronts
    * When your anime and manga collection is almost worth as much as your car.. -___-
    ...I'm impressed. But I'm not sure if I should be. :p
  • Umm.. What is an "SS" button?
  • *When you realize every time you say "fear" you are actually saying "ph33r."
  • *You and your friends start creating D&D ability charts...about your RL selves* ;)
  • When other geeks call you "weak, sports-hating, nerdly, bookish, etc..."
  • When you know D20 is a kind of dice and not related to a 401K.
  • edited October 2006
    Umm.. What is an "SS" button?
    Screen Shot. Not everone uses prt scrn/sys req. I have another key bound to another program.
    * When the amount of computers and electrical gadgets on your desk is worth more then your car.
    This is actually true for me. My car is worth around 5 grand and I could definitely beat that. (I have all my video game console shiz in the desk.)

When in advance, you agree with a friend to buy anime dvd sets for eachother for Christmas. (also true)
    Post edited by Brineshrimp on
  • When you post on this forum.
  • edited October 2006
    When you post on this forum.
    (Puts his quote back down and backs away slowly)
    Post edited by Jason on
  • When you think about another person's Thac0
  • When you live in a place known as the "GeekHaus"
  • *When your dorm wires the bathrooms and laundry machines to the internet so you can see when one's available.

*When you have read the rules for more roleplaying game systems than you can count on both hands.

*When you squee when you hear that a new InsertFavoriteAuthor() book has come out.

*When you normally use words like "orthogonal" when talking about mundane things like politics.

*When you use Metasyntactic Variables in normal speech.

*When you own a Cthulhu plushie.

*When one of the primary criteria you use to judge appartments is the amount of books shelf space.

*When you mistakenly also use words like that when in conversation with non-geeks.

*When you antrhopomorphize your computer when talking about it more often than not.

*When your Not Girlfriend, while drunk, decides that she needs to roll under her Dex on 3D6 to stand up and then rolls.
  • When you check out the book How to do just about Anything on a Computer in 7th grade.
  • When you think about another person's Thac0
    *You know what Thac0 means.
    *Among your group of friends, there are at least 3 different pronounciations of Thac0.
    *...and you've argued about which of them is correct.
  • th
    a as in apple
    co as in cooperate
  • That's "a" as in "aim". Get it right. ^_^

* When you've run multiple games of D&D for your friends.
    * When you've run multiple games of D&D in a world of your own creation.
  • When you not only listen to GeekNights, but start a podcast of your own because GeekNights is so awesome.
    When you not only listen to GeekNights, but also adopt the mannerisms of Rym and/or Scott.
  • When you look up words on thesaurus.com instead of making them up to say what you want to say...(true)
  • You have pieces of hard drive stuck to your fridge.

You can name more than 5 distros of linux off the top of your head.

You have an obsession with the technology of cellphones and collect pictures of the new ones in Japan and Korea.
    and you also envy the relationship between your laptop and your phone. (for they are in such bluetooth love)

the thought of dragons makes you strangely happy.

and various other things.
  • the thought of dragons makes you strangely happy.
    Who doesn't that apply to?
    I've got a tattoo of a dragon.
    Most people with tattoos do.
  • edited October 2006

Pfft.

You know when you're a geek when you stay awake at night preforming draconic rituals upon yourself during the witching hour...
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • You know you are a geek when you try to summon one of the ancient ones from the necronomicon.
  • You know you are a geek when you try to summon one of the ancient ones from the necronomicon.
    You know when your a geek when you have actually done it.
    You know when your a geek when you have actually done it.
    You know you are a geek when you randomly start chanting "Cthulhu fhtagn."

((Did I spell that right?))