This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your D&D Ability Scores. (not a quiz, how you think they are)

edited October 2006 in Role Playing Games
So, This always comes up in geeky gaming Circles (and came up in a different thread asking what do you feel is Scott's ability scores) Using the D&D ability Score method, what do you think your ability scores would be. Feel free to edit as you see other people's scores relative to your own. (Since everything is relative) Remember things like strength are probably more about what is your potential strength if you decided to fight kobolds all day not what your laying around computer playing self has right now. For example:

ScoJo (Scott Johnson)

Str: 14-16 (Builds muscle quickly and has a higher then average strength without any effort, so the higher number is what would happen if I strength trained for a few months or started kill zombies regularly)
Dex: 10 (doesn't tend to lose balance but can't do somersaults either)
Con: 14 (Doesn't often gets sick, quickly gets back into shape when he's not a slug, heals relatively quickly and doesn’t bruise easily). A hard skill to judge because how often do you find out how many sword hits you can take? (well I guess I have +12 bonus hit points!)
Intel: 15-17 (A Above average, below average type. Hi, I am the stupidest of the smart kids, poor memory but high comprehension) hard to judge because of the many facets of intelligence. Unless you just want to go by IQ, a test I never received. Whaleshark made a good argument for intelligence being a higher value. So I'm upping mine to suit the definition.
Wis: 16-18 (figures people out pretty well, senses social situations and puts knowledge to practical use relatively easily)
Cha: 10-15 (hard to judge this, if I had to go by the number of "followers, or close friends" I would have a pretty damn high charisma because of my vast social network, however I look pretty average and have trouble public speaking but my lack of ability is usually made up for in my general empathy and likability. Therefore, it is a tough call.) Charisma is always a crap shoot.

Looks like I am fit for the Paladin, Fighter, Cleric or Druid classes. Too bad, I am a secular Humanist agnostic, or I could get some awesome holy power.

I'll probably edit as other people respond to give good reasons for different scores.

Comments

• Str: 10 (I used to lift weights, but that was soooo long ago, plus I take a hit for age).
    Dex: 9 (Other than an ability to juggle, I'm hopeless)
    Con: 12 (I've never had a broken bone, but I'm no marathon runner)
    Intel: 17 (based on test scores)
    Wis: 17 (based on being paid to advise)
    Cha: 15 (based on personal vanity)

There's a reason I almost always play mages.
  • edited October 2006
    Str: 10-ish (I need to work out more)
    Dex: 15 (I play DDR and piano, plus I have inherited my dad's amazing reflexes)
    Con: 13 (I don't really care much about pain in small increments, but when it comes in one large WHUMP, that's the end of my lack-of-girlish-high-pitched-scream armor +1)
    Int: 16.5 (I'm quite smart for my age (14))
    Wis: 16 (I also have a bit more common sense than a few of my same-aged peers)
    Cha: At least 17 (Meh, I can usually run charismatic circles around my brothers and peers, plus my dad yells at me for using semantics in our "little talks". I'm also egotistical, in case you haven't noticed ^_^).

Yep. These scores are all based on my age, by the way.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • So Thaed are those 17's in Intel and Wis caused by the bonuses you get for Old age?
  • Str: 13 (I may be tall and skinny but I'm not THAT weak. )
    Dex: 14 (Well, I can play no boundaries on the guitar...Does that count?)
    Con: 10 (I'm underweight.)
    Intel: 18 (Considering I skipped various grades.)
    Wis: 15 (Well, I know when to say things.)
    Cha: 11 (I'm shy with people i can't relate to.)
  • So Thaed are those 17's in Intel and Wis caused by the bonuses you get for Old age?
    According to the Players Handbook, Core Rule Book I, my age has modified my stats as follows:

-1 to Str, Con, and Dex; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

The stats above are clearly as modified.
  • Str: 15-16 (I work out, and I'm naturally above average strength-wise)
    Dex: 8-9 ((I fence, box, and game, but I'm generally clumsy otherwise)
    Con: 13-15 (I have a relatively large build, and I can take a hit well)
    Int: 13-16 (This is a hard one to judge. I'm generally quick and catch on to things, but I haven't done any standardized testing(IQ, etc.), I'm in advanced classes in school(except math, but that's due more to laziness than lack of intelligence), but that isn't a great measurement for intelligence)
    Wis: 12-16 (Another hard one. I'm resourceful and quick at putting knowledge to practical use, but I'm not so great at judging people)
    Cha: 9-13 (I can handle a social situation, but I'm generally shy, and I have a somewhat rough appearance)
  • edited October 2006
    Str: 16: This is based on actual weight values that I know I can lift. Work out 4 times a week for almost a year and see what happens to you. :p
    Dex: 8 - 9: I have good manual dexterity (scientists use their hands a lot), but I'm generally a bit clumsy, awkward, and not very fast on my feet.
    Con: 10 - 12: I can take a bit of physical punishment and have a good pain threshold, but I don't have very notable physical endurance.
    Int: 16 - 18: Really, I could probably claim 18 and get away with it, since I'm thoroughly certain I'm more intelligent than 99% of human beings. This is generally true of the FRC as a whole; we don't mess around. I'll give the range just to not sound totally arrogant.
    Wis: 15 - 16: I'm quite perceptive, and am generally a good judge of people. I'm also very rational and level-headed, and have a good bit of common sense.
    Cha: 14 - 15: I used to peg this as a much lower stat, but given recent developments in my life (cough*girls*cough), and the fact that many people I know tell me I'm charming and personable and likeable and so forth, I think this is quite justified.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2006
    Oh mans!

Str: 10 - I'm not very strong at all, but I'm not so weak that I'd have a negative mod. Could I win a fight? Probably not, unless I use dirty tricks. But can I do most normal tasks and avoid dropping heavy things on my feet? Yes. Also, I beat Scott in an armwrestling arcade game in Wildwood. ;)
    Dex: 13 - I have a often have a delayed reaction time due to my laid-backness, or am clumsy due to carelessness, but my supershortness gives me a dex bonus ^_^ I also have some semblance of grace when it comes to things like baton or flags.
    Con: 11 - I have absolutely no tolerance for pain and am in poor shape endurance-wise, but I'm pretty healthy and rarely get sick or catch colds.
    Int: 15 - I've always done well in school without much effort (well, provided I'm not studying things I hate. ^^;;) I enjoy most kinds of intellectual pursuits, and am known for being booksmart and bright. Even if I couldn't win a German board game to save my life.
    Wis: 12 - I have a decent amount of common sense, and a "woman's intuition." On the other hand I am not very worldly yet -_-
    Cha: 14 or 15 - I'm a bit awkward in conversation, but I try to be polite and kind with others to mitigate that as best I can. Most people seem to take favorably to me, at least. I'm a bit shy when getting to know someone, but once you're my friend I can be a little loud or exhuberant ^_^;; Public speaking or acting in front of others doesn't phase me, and I kissed the Blarney Stone once. (No really, I did!)

So if Int and Charisma are my main stats, I guess I'd be a bard, or sorcerer/wizard?
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I'll give the range just to not sound totally arrogant.
    Yea, I think people naturally judge their intelligence higher then it would be in the system. I guess giving yourself a sub 18 intelligence is a good measure of your Wisdom ^_^ haha. I mean with a 18 intelligence how many languages are you supposed to know? I guess maybe it's when I compare myself to the intellectual greats like Stephen hawking and Einstein and other great Scientists I find it hard to give myself an 18 intelligence or even a 16.

Intelligence Versus Wisdom I thought this was a handy way of looking at the two stats.
  • Cha: 14 - 15: I used to peg this as a much lower stat, but given recent developments in my life (cough*girls*cough), and the fact that many people I know tell me I'm charming and personable and likeable and so forth, I think this is quite justified.
    Now there's a great episode of Geek Nights! Find a girl that has been the lucky "recipient" of the Whale Shark's charisma and interview her. Bonus points are given if you show her the picture of the Whale Shark wearing that infamous T-shirt at the Jersey shore.
  • Cremlian: The thing is, technically, on 3d6, the odds of getting an 18 are 1/108, or roughly 1%. I know, based on test scores, and my general cognitive ability, that I am in the top 1% of intelligences in the world. Einstein and Hawking are the top 1/10th or 1/00th of 1% in the world. D&D stats don't exactly give you a lot of room for those fine but important differences. I'm quick to pick things up, and have strong deductive reasoning. I'm not always the fastest thinker, but that's because I tend to ponder a lot of possible options at the same time. So I think the 18 can be justified.

Intelligence vs. Wisdom is one of the tougher points of D&D, but I've always associated Intelligence with ability to learn and level of knowledge. Wisdom is associated with the ability to apply knowledge and sort of react to it; I liken it to the difference between strategy and tactics.

Kilarney: Girls. Plural. Get it right, old man. :p

Honestly, though, I've been told by many people that I'm quite charming and likeable, and I'm generally inclined to agree with them. I can talk to people easily, and I can hold people's attention in a conversation. I'm not nearly as charismatic as Rym, but I'm no slouch.

And don't expect interviews with any recepients of my "charisma." I'd like to not send them off running, thank you very much. :p
  • edited October 2006
    Kilarney: Girls. Plural. Get it right, old man. :p
    Oh, I knew that's what you meant. I would have been happy hearing just one girl describe what was going through her head as she saw you walk in the room and remove the infamous goatse T-shirt. Totally priceless. ;-)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I don't wear the goatse T-shirt in polite company, just around the crew. :p
    Pansy
    Pansy
    Dude, I had goatse put on a T-shirt. A pansy I am not.

Just tonight, at my favorite local bar/burrito joint, my friend gave me the best idea for a Halloween costume. The bar/burrito joint is doing a costume contest next week, so I'm going to go...as The First Amendment. I'll wear jeans, the goatse T-shirt, and my trenchcoat buttoned up over it. When asked what I am, and then how I'm "The First Amendment," I'll just unbutton the coat. Genius.
  • Dude, I had goatse put on a T-shirt. A pansy I am not.

Just tonight, at my favorite local bar/burrito joint, my friend gave me the best idea for a Halloween costume. The bar/burrito joint is doing a costume contest next week, so I'm going to go...as The First Amendment. I'll wear jeans, the goatse T-shirt, and my trenchcoat buttoned up over it. When asked what I am, and then how I'm "The First Amendment," I'll just unbutton the coat. Genius.
    I'm just playing with you. I respect you greatly for creating what 99% of men would not. That is a great idea by the way.
  • Str: 14 - Need to work out more, I've been slacking off.
    Dex: 14 - I can be very quick when I need to be, but acrobatic I am not.
    Con: 14 - I can take a beating and keep on swinging.
    Int: 16 - I have a wide range of intellectual interests, and my grades were good for having slacked off all of college.
    Wis: 17 - I can feel your fear...
    Cha: 15 - Force of will = I can make you feel fear.

Strength's a little low for a fighter, isn't it?
  • Str: 15-16 - I might not be the strongest, but I am valuable with teh moving.
    Dex: 11 - Nothing special here.
    Con: 15 - I can take a fair bit of strenuous physical activity (prolly could be higher, but I'm not interested). I also have an inbred bonus to Alcohol tolerance, I would imagine.
    Int: 16-17 - Forgive me tooting my own horn, but I'm pretty smart, in addition to being an aspiring intellectual (head of my local chapter of the Junior Intellectuals club lol)
    Wis: 12(on a bad day)-14 - As smart as I am, I can be quite dumb sometimes. Guess that about evens it out, huh?
    Cha: 13 - Eh, might as well be honest.

I think I'd make a great Paladin. That would be so cool...
  • Just tonight, at my favorite local bar/burrito joint, my friend gave me the best idea for a Halloween costume. The bar/burrito joint is doing a costume contest next week, so I'm going to go...as The First Amendment. I'll wear jeans, the goatse T-shirt, and my trenchcoat buttoned up over it. When asked what I am, and then how I'm "The First Amendment," I'll just unbutton the coat. Genius.
    I can see it now!

Girl: "Hey, you have no costume!"

Whale Shark: "Yes I do, I'm the First Amendment!" (Whale Shark exposes the infamous goatse T-shirt.)

Girl: "I don't know, you just look like a big a**hole to me."

You better come up with a good response to that! Funny idea, though.
  • edited October 2006
    I can see it now!

Girl: "Hey, you have no costume!"

Whale Shark: "Yes I do, I'm the First Amendment!" (Whale Shark exposes the infamous goatse T-shirt.)

Girl: "I don't know, you just look like a big a**hole to me."

You better come up with a good response to that! Funny idea, though.
    ROFLCOPTER

I don't think I could come up with a response to that, even if I thought about it. Maybe I'd kiss her, because that's one damn funny girl right there.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2006
    Str: 14 - Need to work out more, I've been slacking off.
    Yea, maybe that's why I could best you in the Water ^_^ Or it could be my specialization ^_^

plus you can always be the intelligent fighter. With all the skills!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Str: 14 - Need to work out more, I've been slacking off.
    Dex: 14 - I can be very quick when I need to be, but acrobatic I am not.
    Con: 14 - I can take a beating and keep on swinging.
    Int: 16 - I have a wide range of intellectual interests, and my grades were good for having slacked off all of college.
    Wis: 17 - I can feel your fear...
    Cha: 15 - Force of will = I can make you feel fear.

Strength's a little low for a fighter, isn't it?
    Uh, shouldn't your DEX be much higher? Your magic ninja skills could take the entire forums out!
  • I've based mine on a combination of what other people have chosen, statistical odds, hard rules from the game, and 2nd Edition. ^_~ Furthermore, I'll cite evidence wherever possible to back up these (mostly arbitrary) numbers, and I plan to brag as much as is warranted.

This is a fun exercise more than anything, so don't be modest! Make your claims and back them up! Don't underestimate yourselves or your abilities. Make a case.

That said:

Str 13
    Dex 16
    Int 17
    Wis 17
    Con 10
    Cha 18

Strength - 13

While my muscles are extremely toned, and while I have practically zero body fat, I work mostly with smaller free weights and lack raw or enduring power. I can lift my own body weight handily, however, and have little trouble climbing even sheer faces.

Of course, the scale given by 3rd Edition is a little wonky. The difference between a 13 and a 14 is more than the difference between a 12 and a 13.

Dexterity - 16

I'm extremely light on my feet, nimble, and fast, as anyone who's climbed Mount Beacon with me can attest. As for manual dexterity, I have long fingers, and played the trumpet very well for a number of years. I play the piano (somewhat ^_^*), limited by lack of skill or practice much moreso than lack of physical ability. I have a 10 note spread, and have little difficulty manipulating small or fine objects.

Intelligence - 17

In middle school (7th grade), I was bussed to the local high school every day to take CP Biology (11th grade advanced track), yet still maintained a 4.0. I was offered the option of skipping grades, but declined. I was accepted to De La Salle Collegiate High School and offered a scholarship. (I refused to attend an all-male school).

During high school (10th grade), I took night classes (Stoichiometry, Organic Chemistry, and Jazz Performance) at a local college, where I was Phi Theta Kappa (and also had the honour of being the youngest student in the history of the school). I skipped ahead to take AP Biology in 10th Grade, in addition to practically every other AP course offered at the school. These transferred to RIT as 41 class credits. I maintained a 3.9 average despite refusing to do homework and skipping a significant percentage of my classes.

I was on the debate team, quiz bowl team, and science olympiad, not to mention the marching band and wind ensemble. Also during high school, I took the PSAT, achieving a perfect score. I was named a National Merit Scholar Finalist, which earned me a substantial scholarship to RIT. The monetary sum of scholarships I was awarded set a record for the high school.

I play German style board games with great success, winning a substantial percentage of the time. Throughout my life, I've tested in the 99th percentile on practically every intelligence or aptitude test I've been asked to take. My IQ was tested professionally to be above 120. (To this day, my parents refuse to reveal the actual number). I was designated by the state of Michigan a "gifted child."

I think I can justify a 17.

Wisdom - 17

There aren't many people who wouldn't call me strong-willed. I tend to read people quite well. I'm extremely cool-headed, to the point that I never lose my temper or even get angry. I have great control over my emotions. Furthermore, my "gut feelings" about people or situations almost always turn out to be right. I almost never experience or show fear, and can calmly address most any situation regardless of the circumstances.

I often act the fool, but I do so knowingly.

Constitution - 10

This is a tricky one. In childhood, I was somewhat sickly, and even through RIT I often succame to strep throat and sinus infections. Also, being very lean, I'm fairly fragile, and I have a very low tolerance for pain.

But, I run regularly, and can climb Mount Beacon at a pace that has left practically everyone I've ever brought winded. I have a great deal of endurance when it comes to physical activity.

Seeing as how this stat matters more for hit points and physical resistance than actual endurance, I'll have to go with the former assessment.

Charisma - 18

After much thought, I feel perfectly justified in claiming an 18 here. You can't deny that I have a powerful force of will, and that I can be very persuasive when I want to be. I tend to rise to leadership positions in all I do, and I'll easily dominate small discussions or panels if I'm not careful to check myself.

I'm a good storyteller, and I can often elicit laughter in those around me without a thought. When I speak, people listen. They may disagree or argue, but they -listen-. When making plans, people defer to me. When hosting gatherings, people gravitate toward me.

I can bluff without skipping a beat, and I easily modify stories in slight ways to bring out whatever emotion I'm reaching for with a crowd. At conventions, I can take control of a mob in short order, a skill which earned me a staff position at Animazement upon demonstrating it. I took over the RIT Anime Club almost without effort, and could have been re-elected indefinitely had I not graduated. I can speak extemporaneously on practically any subject, and I stand out in a crowd.
  • edited October 2006
    The one problem I see with this is that you are surrounded by other geeks. As I read your post, it is clear to me that these stats apply as compared to other geeks. Almost every example you give is geek related. Sure, you can "control" a crowd a crowded convention. Does that mean you'd be as successful in the prison yard? Trust me, you wouldn't. I also doubt that you'd be the "leader" of your cell block.

For me, the most important element of charisma is that it applies in all settings. Not trying to nit-pick, but your reasoning seemed quite insular to me.

I'm somewhat of a chameleon in that I'm not too much of anything. I'm a little bit jock, a little bit geek, a little bit artistic, etc. I was elected president of my fraternity, and yet I'm nerdy. I've worked as a roofer, and played on a beer league softball team. Yet, I've attended model United Nations, high-school bowl, etc. I submit to you that my charisma would be higher, since I am accepted almost all situations. The truth is that your looks alone would alienate a lot of blue-collar types. That knocks down your charisma right there.

I know I'm being somewhat of a hypocrite since I did not do the exercise, but I just wanted to insert my two cents.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I just used the most handy examples, which happened to be geeky. When I was a child, I swindled other children and visiting relatives out of their pocket change in various schemes. In high school, surrounded almost entirely by more normal people, I had the same successes, people deferring to me regularly and hanging on my words. (Hell, I was asked to the junior and senior proms when I was still in MIDDLE SCHOOL).

I've very often talked my way out of arrests or traffic tickets. I placed in the only public speaking competition I ever entered. I was lauded by every professor I had at RIT for my presentation and speaking skills. I joined the Toastmasters briefly, only to be asked why I even bothered.

I have the same domination in my work as I do among geeks, taking over meetings and smooth-talking clients. At IBM, I was volunteered to work on an internal project team which I took over and was immediately elected president. All of my previous employers have tapped me consistently as a public face or professional schmoozer.
  • I can attest to the fact that I have known non-geeks that have met Rym and have commented to me, privately, that he was the most charismatic person they'd ever met.

The FRC are generally quite a self-perceptive bunch.
  • I know when my mother first met Rym at Tora-con, she was quite taken with him. This was after about only 2 minutes of talking with him. He's not lying, his charisma score is indeed ridiculous.
  • I'm not sure if most of my abilities are due to attributes or acquired skills and feats. Could just be class abilities.
  • yea I figure my higher ability scores are off set by lots of Flaws taken to gain more points in other things ^_^