This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - The Big DNS DDOS

Tonight on GeekNights, on our 11th anniversary show, we talk about the big DDOS that hit the US while Rym was in Sydney. In the non-spoopy news, the new Macbooks are underwhelming, and you can be hacked via your microphones and speakers. Don't use OpenDNS to get around DNS DDOSes, but do listen to our show from 2011 on DNS!

We'll be live at GaymerX on Sunday talking about writing game rules, and also live at MAGFest! Support GeekNights on Patreon!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Livestream:
  • There was a DDOS? I hadn't noticed.
  • Twitter was the main one, but FRCF was intermittent all day for me as well.
  • Was at work, and actually busy (major client threw a hissy fit so even though the problem wasn't ops related, I had stuff to do) so all I had of this was a major boss linking a news article and asking my team if this would affect us, and before I could answer my boss basically said, we don't use them so it wouldn't touch us. By the time I checked twitter later, all I saw were people complaining. May as well have been in Australia for how much it affected me.
  • The new MacBook Pros have two or four Thunderbolt ports. If you're using it as part of a big desktop/peripheral setup, the idea is that you use one port to connect to a monitor with additional ports, 3 USB-C in this case, which also supplies power to your MacBook. That seems more convenient than a bunch of cables for your MacBook or a dock.

The MBPs are still an underwhelming bump this year, most things considered.
  • Scott, the X220's unofficially work with 16 GB of RAM. You don't have to do anything weird or flash some custom BIOS, they just work. I have these in mine.
  • Scott, the X220's unofficially work with 16 GB of RAM. You don't have to do anything weird or flash some custom BIOS, they just work. I have these in mine.

Really? Are you sure? This is work PC, so I can't mess around.
  • Yes, I'm sure. I think either 8 GB SODIMM modules weren't available or were ridiculously expensive in 2011 and Lenovo never updated the hardware specs, but Google around and plenty of people are using 16 GB in their X220's and T420's.
  • Boing Boing: A fake HP printer that's actual an office-camouflaged cellular eavesdropping device. https://boingboing.net/2016/11/03/a-fake-hp-printer-thats-actu.html