This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Forum Closed

edited January 2017 in Forum Stuff
In order to save $150 a month we are soon going to close this forum and move to a new one. Let me answer all the questions you have:

No more forum? Where will I live on the Internet?

No. Of course there will be a forum. We made a new one. You can even go there right now. Here it is!

http://community.frontrowcrew.com/

Wait, will all the 11+ years of content in this forum be lost?

No. Keeping all this content available at the same URLs is our highest priority. We have backups because we obsessively backup everything. You should learn and back your things up as well as we do. We are going to load our backup into a self-hosted copy of Vanilla that is in read-only mode. This will allow us to keep all the content of this forum alive forever for $10 a month instead of $150.

Why not just use the self hosted Vanilla then?

Loading the backup into the self-hosted Vanilla is good enough to keep the content available, but it's not good enough to actually use. That's why we will keep it in read-only mode.

What about private messages or discussions in this forum?

In theory you will still be able to login and see those. We are just going to disable the ability for people to make new threads or new comments on threads. Still, you should transfer your life over to the new forum ASAP.

What about threads on this old forum that I want to continue?

In the new forum you can simply create a new discussion that begins with a link to the old archived forum thread so people have appropriate context. You should also include the first and last posts from the archived forum thread. There are already some examples of this being done, so you can copy those. By linking threads this way we can maintain continuity.

I like this old forum better than the new one. Don't do this!

Tough shit. Deal with it. If you want to change my mind, send me $150 every month and I'll consider it. Maybe.

I have a question that isn't answered above.

Ask it here while you still can! Alternatively, contact us using any of the other numerous means of interweb talking.

Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Is there a projected date for the closure?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Apreche said:

I have a question that isn't answered above.

Ask it here while you still can! Alternatively, contact us using any of the other numerous means of interweb talking.

What's your favorite flavor of chips?
  • edited December 2016
    Daikun said:

Is there a projected date for the closure?

It's a matter of days. Hopefully no more than a week or two. At this point we are really just giving people time to adjust.
  • Do I understand this correctly: The content of this forum will be rehosted as read only, but it will not be imported into the new forum.

I currently can not log into the new forum, I assume because my account does not exist there. Do I need to make it anew or will the accounts be imported?
  • If the accounts will not be imported, I have some username ideas I might want to register...
  • chaosof99 said:

Do I understand this correctly: The content of this forum will be rehosted as read only, but it will not be imported into the new forum.

I currently can not log into the new forum, I assume because my account does not exist there. Do I need to make it anew or will the accounts be imported?

Correct. We are not importing the content or the user accounts. You have to register over there.
  • If the accounts will not be imported, I have some username ideas I might want to register...

I've been checking by hand to make sure nobody does these sorts of shenanigans. If I see a familiar username and the email doesn't match the one from this forum, I won't approve it.
  • That's a shame, this forum always looked and functioned nicer than others, but definitely not 150 dollars a month nice.
  • It's been functioning increasingly poorly as time has gone on. I don't have a lot of faith in Vanilla in the long run.

I dare you to search for a specific old thread here. I dare you.
  • edited December 2016
    I know I'll adjust, but this feels like the end of an era.
    Rym said:

I dare you to search for a specific old thread here. I dare you.

Googling the phrase I'm looking for plus "frontrowcrew" always gets me what I'm looking for on the first or second link.

EDIT: Looks like the new Forum isn't connecting right now...
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Heh, seems the new forum is buckling under the new load.
  • Naoza said:

Heh, seems the new forum is buckling under the new load.

Nope. We shut it down to try and enable SSL. But their documentation is wrong and it doesn't work.
  • Posting here already feels like walking around the ruins of a once mighty empire.
  • edited December 2016
    2016 CLAIMS ANOTHER BELOVED VICTIM! WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

In all seriousness, though, I gotta make a list of threads to recreate.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym said:

Posting here already feels like walking around the ruins of a once mighty empire.

Two vast and trunkless legs of stone...

• edited January 2017
    I am now closing it so nobody can make any new posts.