This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why I dont use Linux

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
Because I am already set in Windows XP. I do not want to wait to get the newest version of a program until the Linux kernel version is out. I like playing my PC games on a Windows machine. Linux is too complicated and frustrating.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    All I hear is "I'm too lazy"
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • So... You're admitting that Windows IS for idiots and Linux is for those who have a brain?
  • edited October 2006
    Actually that's exactly why I don't use Linux. I'm too lazy at the moment (and I like playing Half-life 2).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think you have a lot of misconceptions about Linux. For example, you don't have to wait for a newer kernel version to upgrade a program. Your sentence about waiting for a new kernel version does not make sense. Also, in many ways Linux is less complicated than windows. It's just different from Windows, so you have to learn something new. The only valid reason not to use Linux is games.

Maybe you should actually try Linux a little bit before you decide you don't want to use it. Go to the Ubuntu website and download the iso of the Desktop CD appropriate to your architecture. It will probably be the Intel x86 desktop CD unless you have a 64-bit cpu, in which case you want the AMD64 CD. Take that iso and burn it to a CD. Put the CD in your computer and reboot. The computer should boot off of the CD-ROM instead of the hard drive. If not, you need to change the boot device order in your BIOS, not very difficult. Once your computer boots off the CD, you will be able to play with Ubuntu Linux all you want. It won't touch your hard drive at all. Just don't click on the icon that says "install". Everything will run from the CD, so it will be a little slow, but there will be no risk in damaging your system. It's a risk-free trial. When you are done, just go to system->shut down. Once you've rebooted without the CD in, you'll be back to Windows as if Linux was never there.

It doesn't hurt to try.
  • I find Linux, Windows, and OSX equally annoying and bothersome, and I'm an IT professional! ^_~

They all have serious problems, it's just that they have different problems. There really isn't a "best" OS: just a best OS for the applications you use and the requirements you have.

That said, I prefer Linux mostly for the fact that I have more control over its problems than I would with Windows or OSX.
  • I find Linux, Windows, and OSX equally annoying and bothersome, and I'm an IT professional! ^_~
    Rym FTW. Haha.. The non-fanboy answer.
  • I don't use Linux because I'm on my parents' computer. If my parents logged on one day and found their computer on a different OS, I don't think they'd be particularly happy...
  • I don't use Linux because I'm on my parents' computer. If my parents logged on one day and found their computer on a different OS, I don't think they'd be particularly happy...
    I don't think you understand the concept of a LiveCD. You put the CD in, you try out Linux, you take the CD out. Everything runs off the CD. The hard drive goes untouched. Unless you click the giant "INSTALL" button, you can't go wrong. There is no possible risk to your computer whatsoever. I wouldn't suggest any newbie jump into the deep and and install Linux, but it is very much worth your time to try it out free and risk-free.
  • My problem with Linux is that I would love to use it. But I can't find a free way to dual boot it with my mac G4 because I still need OSX for some programs.
  • I used to have a windows machine (vista and xp), that I ran linux on as well. Personally, I got sick of both OS's. Then I took a big risk. I sold that laptop after hearing how good the macbook was. Then I got the macbook with the 2Ghz core duo and 2GB of RAM, and I was pretty damn happy. For me, nothing can replace OSX. It's so simple and for someone like me who can't organize shit, it's perfect. Plus, it seems to take everything that's good about linux, and uses it correctly. After all, it's running with the Unix shell.

So Rym, I know you have alot of experience in all the OS's. What do you think is fundamentally flawed in OSX?
  • My problem with Linux is that I would love to use it. But I can't find a free way to dual boot it with my mac G4 because I still need OSX for some programs.
    The PPC version of Ubuntu will do the trick. So will any other PPC Linux.
  • No, you can't split the hard drive easly or free.

• So Rym, I know you have alot of experience in all the OS's. What do you think is fundamentally flawed in OS X?
    I'll answer for Rym. First of all, OS X is not Linux. It is a heavily modified version of BSD. To the untrained eye, there might not be a difference, but there is. The OS X shell, and the capabilities of OS X, pale in comparison to a properly setup Linux environment, but someone who doesn't use their computer in that way would never know the difference.

Yes, OS X is very simple, especially for a disorganized person. If you are someone who doesn't do advanced things with your computer, then OS X is awesome. It browses the web, word processes, plays audio and video, has a ton of widgets and more. All the basic computing tasks of a normal human being are handled with ease and with eye candy. This has huge benefits for someone who is not computer savvy, and just wants to get the job done.

However, Mac OS X suffers from three main problems. One problem, which I will let Rym elaborate on, is that it is too context-sensitive and has a non-intuitive interface. The second problem is that it is so easy, that it is limiting. The third problem is that it is not free.

When I say it is too easy, I mean exactly that. OS X tries to make things so simple for people who do not know how to use a computer that it limits access to advanced functionality. Trying to use OS X to do serious computing is like trying to drive a car blindfolded. Being a heavy Linux user, I am used to being able to do whatever my computer hardware is capable of. If i want to plug in a USB gamepad and use it to control the keyboard, it's no problem. If I want to take mp3s off of my iPod, it just works. On OS X functionality is locked down. Apple treats their computers like cellular phones. You can't do anything the carrier doesn't want you to do.

And of course, OS X is not free. Sure, you can pirate it. Yes, you could say it comes "free" with a Mac, but it's not really free. What's worse than the operating system not being free, is that the software is not free. I'm not saying there are no free programs out there for OS X, there are a ton. I'm saying is that all of the really important applications for OS X are not freely available. Emulators for old video game consoles require you to pay extra for gamepad support if you use a Mac. That sort of thing is unheard of on Windows or Linux. For Windows and Linux there are many many things you can do for absolutely no money. On Mac the shareware model has somehow survived.

I'll let Rym yell about the rest.
  • I will be honest here, I am actually considering trying this Ubuntu program. Can someone point me to the correct .ISO to download. How big is the file?

Thanks,
    -LT
  • http://www.ubuntu.comRead the directions on the site. You download the desktop CD appropriate to your computer and you burn it to a CD. The file is as big as a CD, so around 700MB or so.
  • Ok thanks man!
  • edited October 2006
    http://www.ubuntu.comRead the directions on the site. You download the desktop CD appropriate to your computer and you burn it to a CD. The file is as big as a CD, so around 700MB or so.
    Yeah, my whole family uses the same computer, which has 500MB left/doesn't have a CD burner.

In a nutshell: Until I get my own computer, I'm screwed.

Any ideas? Is there any way I can get a CD without having to burn it?
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • You should be able to order a LiveCD; I remember seeing such a form somewhere on the ubuntu site before.
  • Here is the episode on starting with Oooboooontu.
  • Yeah, I'll listen to that episode again at some point.
  • Hereis the episode on starting with Oooboooontu.
    Thanks for the link.
  • I'm actually gonna try Linux out. I've never used it before, I've been on Windows on my home computers since I was 7 years old. Burning the .iso right now =)

As to the HL:2, etc. problem, I found a program called CrossOver that's supposed to work like a charm.
  • I have had good luck with the beta of crossover mac, it was able to play the demo of Defcon. I never bothered trying crossover on my linux boxes, but I'm sure it works fine since it was originally developed for linux.
  • Now I do have a question. Can any one tell me how to split my hard drive on my Mac in an easy manner. It also should be free..
  • if you use the Disk Utility on OS X you should be able to do it. In order to partition the hard drive with it, you need to start installing OS X using the install disk, then use the utilities menu to open it. You then click on the hard drive in the sidebar, and one of the tabs lets you partition the disk.
  • Hi, I'm typing this from Ubuntu right now! I think it's awesome, but since this is a shared computer, I can't install it. I do, however, have an old Windows 98 box I could go Linux with...
  • I do, however, have an old Windows 98 box I could go Linux with...
    Go for it. Ubuntu Edgy just came out today, it rocks the house.
  • edited October 2006
    I do, however, have an old Windows 98 box I could go Linux with...
    Go for it. Ubuntu Edgy just came out today, it rocks the house.
    Hey, cool, but I can't seem to find the BT file for it...Edgy, I mean.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hey, cool, but I can't seem to find the BT file for it...Edgy, I mean.
    So just download it directly from the mirror.
  • But it's...slow...and 700 mb...and...slow...