This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

a Scott Rubin moment!

edited February 2006 in GeekNights
I was just listening to the podcast “Comic Geek Speak” eps 79 and found it funny to hear them read one of Scott Rubin’s E-mails to them on the air and pretty much shot down his suggestion ^_^ I actually liked Scott’s idea (Genre based Comic sorting), but it was funny to hear him mentioned espeically when they didn't understand the end of the E-mail. Kinda like when Scott, Rym and I went and saw Michael Moore speak and he asked him “How do you eat without eating Flour!” ^_^

Comments

• Yeah, I was trying to explain to them how in Japanese book stores publisher sorting is ok because publisher and genre are synonymous in the Japanese manga market. But they didn't seem to get it. I think I could have worded that e-mail in a better way. I think what I'm going to do is get some $1 Shonen Jumps and give it to those guys at the NY Comic-Con. Then I think they'll understand.

Also, it's funny how when I asked Michael Moore that I didn't really understand wtf he was thinking. Now I realize how he was just another tool falling for the stupid Atkin's diet bullshit. Funny how someone who goes against consumerism and corporatiosn for a living falls into a fad diet trap with the rest of the idiots.
  • The thing about the Atkins diet is this.

Many people, if they follow it strictly, can lose a lot of weight. A friend of mine (Don) lost almost 100 pounds, and has kept it off.

However, like any other diet, it requires discipline. If you have discipline, you'll lose weight no matter which diet you choose (unless it's a retarded one). The claim that it's easy is bullshit. It's just a diet.

It is mostly a money-making enterprise. It's not that it's a new miracle diet, just that people think it is, so they'll buy a book about it.

For anyone who cares about diets, here are some tips:
    - Carbohydrates of all kinds are not evil. Neither is fat. Neither is sugar. It's all about calories. Eat too many, gain weight. Eat too few, lose weight.
    - If you want any muscle mass or physical stamina, you must exercise. Exercise will not make you lose weight; the calories burned through cardiovascular exercise are inconsequential compared to serious dieting. If you just want to drop inches, exercise is not strictly necessary.
    - We don't know what causes cancer. Eat whatever you want.
    - Apparently you should eat some vegetables. Or not. Some people don't observe any significant difference on diets full of green vegetables compared to meat and potatoes. If you'd like some vegetables or fruits, go ahead and eat them.
    - Don't eat when you aren't hungry, and you will never gain weight. Also, you will in fact lose weight until you are the correct size.

That's pretty much that.
  • Right on the money. The only real way to "diet" is not to diet. Eat what you want when you are hungy. Don't eat when you are not hungry. All fad diets are money making schemes. All of them, that's why they are fads.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. Calories are the only thing that matters. If you use more calories than you eat, you lose weight. If you eat more than you use you gain weight. It's that simple.

I believe that this is popularly known as "intuitive eating". And it has the support of quite a few very recent scientific studies. Don't tell the food industry. They don't want anyone to think about eating less food.
  • My personal experience in weight loss (which will recommence shortly, hopefully 5 days a week) is that the diet is fairly irrelelvent; the only trick to weight loss is "more calories out than calories in." You can accomplish this either by 1) eating less (fewer calories in) or 2) increasing your level of activity (more calories out). Either way will result in weight loss, but if you're looking to really get healthy AND lose some weight, exercise will be far better than just dieting.

Combine the two for fastest weight loss, naturally. But really, you can eat anything you want, so long as you're sufficiently active to burn it off.
  • edited February 2006
    The one thing that shocks me is how many people go on diets or start new exercise regimes without consulting their doctor. This may seem silly, but your doctor can give you a better idea of what is truly healthy for your specific body and its needs. Some exercises may be less effective or damaging base don your body type, health, past injuries, etc. and you may not think they are big issues, but they can dramatically alter what kind of exercise is right for you. Also, doctors can give you a much better perspective on whether you need to loose weight, how much is healthy to loose at what rate, if you need more exercise, lower cholesterol or blood pressure, more antioxidants (for those with cancer risks), etc. Seriously, people, if you have a small co-pay at your doctors or you have an on campus medical facility USE IT and be wary of "nutritionists" and "trainers" they often have only limited, general, or fad-ish knowledge to offer.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I am the god of reviving dead threads!!!!!!!!!!!

It is probably sensible to consult a doctor whenever a person is changing something major in their diet or lifestyle.