This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii hands on report

edited October 2006 in Video Games
Here is a good review of the Wii from someone who got to spend some time playing it.

It's an interesting review. Setting aside fanboy status, it's really concerns me that the gameplay may not be as fun as originally thought. The graphics aren't there, so it's all got to be about gameplay.

Comments

• It's an interesting review. Setting aside fanboy status, it's really concerns me that the gameplay may not be as fun as originally thought. The graphics aren't there, so it's all got to be about gameplay.
    Gameplay is the only thing that ever mattered, so it's cool.
  • edited October 2006
    My point is that the hands on review questions the gameplay. Did you see what they said for Zelda? The way you use the Wiimote is no more engaging than a regular controller. It turns out that you don't use the Wiimote like a sword, etc. That's troublesome to me.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I was kind of hoping for a controller that forced people to move around a bit. Not quite the same as being active but seemed like a nice idea - better than just sitting with a controller in your lap.

Still, best to reserve judgement for when you actually get to play for yourself. I thought the controller could be used at least two different ways (as a sword or as just a control?) in Zelda to cater to people who don't want to look completely daft. :p Whereabouts in the article does it say you don't use the Wiimote as a sword? That's disappointing, if true.

I'm not worried about the graphics. I still think the PS2 and Gamecube generation graphics are teh awesomes, so, I'm pretty easily pleased.
  • edited October 2006
    Two very disturbing paragraphs from the review:

What I had discovered is that as much as we all want the Wii remote to actually work as if it was a magic wand, the actuality is that it has been designed to mimic a joypad, with a few neat tricks thrown in. When I was swordfighting in Zelda for instance, I wanted to be able to hack and slash in a way that felt natural. The actuality is that it is easier to sit down, and instead of hacking and slashing, flicking your wrist in one way or another. The wrist flicks correspond to what button presses would have done in years gone by and so ultimately you end up with a game that is not drastically different to what you're used to (except you do wrist flicks instead of button bashing).

Don't get me wrong, this preview wasn't intended to slate the Wii and everything it stands for. The Wii is fun to play and has some interesting titles lined up for release. What I do want to do is provide a little realism. Too many journalists are giving out the impression that the Wii will provide an unbelievable, unique experience unlike anything you will have ever played before. That the Wii remote allows for completely dynamic gameplay that will revolutionize the gaming world. These facts are half-truths, based most probably on people spending a small amount of time with the console at a booth at one of the big conventions. When you get down to the nitty gritty of the Wii you find something a bit different from the 360 and PS3, but not drastically as you may have thought/hoped.

Prior to this review I was ready to buy the Wii sight unseen. Now I think I'll want to try it first. If it aint about the gameplay, then a PS2 is looking like a nice choice right about now.

I should also point out that the host of Cnet's Buzz Out Loud podcast had essentially the same reaction. Troubling indeed.
  • edited October 2006
    Another disturbing quote from this review:
    Dispatching enemies at a distance took the use of the bow and arrow. Midna told me to aim using Z and fire at my targets. This was where the Wiimote became tricky. You must point the controller at the sensor bar and not the TV and I found myself struggling to locate my center. Taller people gaming with a low sensor bar will make things much harder because you must turn your wrists down in order to get a center spot on the monitor. Compound this by a slow and unresponsive camera, and you'll spend more time losing arrows and taking hits than actually killing baddies. I tried to picture myself in an eight hour session marathon of Zelda (which is totally common for me and the franchise) using only the Wiimote. I cringed at the thought.

And this:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance was the most disappointing display at the party. I’m sure this game would be perfect with a normal controller, but with the wiimote it was a disaster.

Yeah... I think it's now a "try before you buy" purchase for me. Bummer. I was all psyched.

• Marvel Ultimate Alliance was the most disappointing display at the party. I’m sure this game would be perfect with a normal controller, but with the wiimote it was a disaster.
    Who could possibly think that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance would be a good game under any circumstance?
  • edited October 2006
    Who could possibly think that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance would be a good game under any circumstance?
    That's not the point. The point the author was making was that there are many games that work fine with a regular controller, but just don't work well with the Wiimote. I'm okay with that, since I suspect there will be plenty of games that will work well with the Wiimote. But... it is a valid concern for any game that is ported to the Wii (Madden 2007 included.)

My biggest bummer is Zelda. It sounds like the Wiimote just isn't as cool as I thought it would be for Zelda. Add in a serious lack of anti-aliasing (which ALL reporters seem to be distrubed by), and I wonder what's left.

As for graphics, the general impression is that the games look like good Gamecube games. That doesn't bother me, but it does bother me that Nintendo is promising "double" the graphics power of the Gamecube. If this doesn't prove to be true, what other promises are not true? I understand that these games are early, but if Zelda doesn't look good... what will? That's their flagship game, after all.

Trust me... I really want to like the Wii. I want it to be what it is promised. My point is that I'm just being a little more cautious now, and will try before I buy.
  • Does the Wii come with a normal controller too? Even if you have to buy one separately, will you still have the option of choosing between playing with the wiimote and using a standard controller?
  • edited October 2006

Marvel Ultimate Alliance was the most disappointing display at the party. I’m sure this game would be perfect with a normal controller, but with the wiimote it was a disaster.
    For what it is worth, all the reviews are around 80-90% so it shouldn't be a "disaster". I'm going to play it safe and maintain a healthy dose of skepticism even though it would be so easy to go into full Nintendo fan boy mode. I plan on trying it out at a friend's house before buying it, after all it shouldn't be difficult to buy one so there is no rush.

This article is probably going to be a good prediction of what the general public's initial reaction to the wii will be so lets not get too defensive, time will tell if the wii controller is a gimmick or a revolution.
    Post edited by Kite on
  • Does the Wii come with a normal controller too? Even if you have to buy one separately, will you still have the option of choosing between playing with the wiimote and using a standard controller?
    I was under the impression that they had "classic" controllers available for purchase as well.
    Many games have tons of Control options (check out the video of Metal Slug for Wii on joystiq) however, the classic game control is only to my knowledge, used for games that are downloaded. All Wii games purchased outside of online should use the Wii controller unless it's actually a Gamecube game and then you'll be using the Gamecube controller!
  • You also have to understand that games like Zelda were not built from the ground up to be a Wii game. So the controllers might be harder to adapt too and less natural because of it. You can rest assured that the next Zelda on Wii probably won't have those problems!
  • The point the author was making was that there are many games that work fine with a regular controller, but just don't work well with the Wiimote.
    And that's why the classic controller is being released. I'm damn sure that the old style controller will work with all these games at some point.
  • edited October 2006
    And that's why the classic controller is being released.
    Okay... so I have to buy at least one extra Wiimote, now I have to buy two extra old-school controllers. My $250 has turned into $340 very quickly. Now we aren't far from XBox 360 territory. (And yes... I know the XBox only comes with one controller.) Besides, what's the point of playing games on the Wii with an old-school controller when the graphics will be much worse than a 360.

If the experience is not there, the Xbox 360 is looking better and better. Let's just hope that the Wii really does offer something totally worthwhile as far as playing experience. Trust me... I'm pulling for the Wii.
  • Besides, what's the point of playing games on the Wii with an old-school controller when the graphics will be much worse than a 360.
    Because graphics don't mean shit. If you care about graphics so much, you are much better off just buying some Pixar movies.
  • edited October 2006
    Ugh. You're not getting it. Graphics don't mean shit if the overall gameplay experience is better. If the experience isn't any better, then graphics do mean shit. Haven't you seen all of the reviews that are questioning the experience? That's my concern.

I haven't written it off, I'm just being cautiously optimistic. The other concern I have is that the Wiimote seems to be tied into the sensor bar so that you aren't really pointing to the spot on your TV that you intend to. Rather, you are pointing above or below that spot relative to the location of the sensor bar. That's a bummer.
  • Ugh. You're not getting it. Graphics don't mean shit if the overall gameplayexperienceis better. If the experienceisn'tany better, then graphics do mean shit. Haven't you seen all of the reviews that are questioning the experience? That's my concern.
    My Atari and my NES disagree with you.
    I haven't written it off, I'm just being cautiously optimistic. The other concern I have is that the Wiimote seems to be tied into the sensor bar so that you aren't really pointing to the spot on your TV that you intend to. Rather, you are pointing above or below that spot relative to the location of the sensor bar. That's a bummer.
    We've known this all along. Short of selling you a special Wii TV, what you desired is a technological impossibility. It seems you are just disappointed because you thought it was going to be something it never was.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about "all these reviews". It looks to me like there is just one review from bit-tech, which is predominantly a technology site and not a gaming site, that is getting lots of exposure.

All in all, I think the issue of the Wiimote is pretty cut and dry. Some games are going to use it properly, and some are not. Just like some games use the DS stylus properly, and some do not. Heck, lots of games don't even manage a joystick or gamepad properly. The technology of the Wii-mote hasn't changed since we found out about it. The fanboy dreams of having perfect sword fighting games were never a possibility. All that matters is which games make good use of what the Wii can do, and which games don't. The trick is to just buy the good games and not the bad ones.
  • As usual, I agree with Kilarney. When I get the 61" Samsung DLP set that I want, I'm going to buy a PS3, largely because it's a cheap Blu-ray player with games thrown in. The Wii will just look like ass on it anyway because it's not hi-def. Now, I may get a Wii for one of the other TVs if the game-play turns out to be as good as people say it is. The fact is, the Wii is so cheap, even if it's half-way decent, I can buy one whenever.
  • I think you spelled something wrong. Here, let me fix it for you.
    When I get the 61" Samsung penis extension set that I want