This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome touch screen technology

edited February 2006 in Technology
Check out this page, They developed a really cool touch panel that can handle multiple contact points at the same time. There is a video demonstrating it on the page.

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

Comments

• Yeah, I saw that. I'm really happy about it too. People don't realize that you can only touch a touch screen in one spot. Try putting two fingers on your DS at the same time and you'll see. Hopefully this will make laptop touch pads work better.
  • I know you dislike star trek, but that is exactly what that touch panel makes me think of, the computers in star trek TNG.

You may also have read about apple making patents on this multi-touch stuff. It would be quite cool if they come out with a tablet that incorporates this type of screen. I have never been a big fan of the tablets, but part of the reason for that is the limitation of what you can do with it. This will effectivly remove a lot of that limitation. An on-screen keyboard could now function like a real keyboard.

I very much want something to come out with this type of screen sooner rather then later ^_^