This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Saint Seiya

edited November 2006 in Anime
The first time that I have watched Saint Seiya was back in Peru when I was 13 years old. Maybe that is why I am reviewing this show. This is a shonen fighting show, and along with that comes all the craziness that comes with the genre.

The story tells of the adventures of Seiya and his friends. Seiya was an orphan when history began. At an early age, he was separated from his sister in order to train to obtain the Sacred Cloth of Pegasus. His only goal is to obtain the armor and reunite with his sister. And After a lot of hard work, training, and help from his trainer Marin the Silver Falcon, he was able to obtain the Sacred Pegasus Bronze Cloth. However, when he gets back to Japan, he discovers that in order to truly see his sister again, he must win the Galactic Tournament and obtain the Holy Golden Cloth of Sagittarius. In order to do that, he must battle his old childhood friends from the orphanarium, each of them with their own motives.

However, during the tournament the Golden armor is stolen by a dark sinister Saint. This will lead to a cascade of events that eventually will lead to Seiya and friend to fight on the Battles of the Twelve Houses in Sanctuary (which is considered one of the better arcs).

The story has an strong plot, and it shows a lot of character development. The art is beautiful (it seems dated, but the re-mastered DVDs look pretty good). The music is amazing, since it is a mixture of classical music and awesome 80s Japanese rock.

This series was very popular all around the world. However, here in America it pretty much bombed. One of the reasons was that it was 25 years too late, but I believe that it was because of the horrible mess up that Dic did with it that Dic made of it. It is so horrible that I do not want to talk about it. You know guys screw it Here are some of the horrible things Dic did to this classic:

• Instead of blood. Dic put in blue and green Gatorade liquid.
• People did not die; they just lost the will to fight.
• They gave Hyoga a surfer dude voice, even though he is from Siberia.
• They changed all the background music and the awesome Pegasus Fantasy opening.
• They decided to change scenes by adding special effects that are meaningless to the fighting scenes,

Well, I recommend this series to any shonen fighting loving anime viewer, or to any anime viewer in general, just to know one of the classics.

This anime also shows the Full Circle Theory that Anime World Order discovered, that something so shonen can go full circle and become shoujo for a bit. There is a lot of crying sometimes. True men are men enough to cry, right?

Anyhow, here is the best web page with information about Saint Seiya that I can find. www.newbornankhstudios.tk
You just need to register to access to the new series, old series, the manga, the episode G chapters, and the latest new next dimension manga.

You can also get the new OVA from www.animesuki.com. Just look for Saint Seiya Hades.

Enjoy.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Good old Saint Seiya.

But it did contain a slight shonen-ai moment in one of the last houses. (The guy who was so beautiful that he looked like a woman).

I watched this series almost religiously.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Aphrodite, that guy cracks me up. But then again, the only love is between him and himself. I love the series, but I do not get why they gave Pisces the ambiguous guy. But Let's never forget that that was the first real fight Andromeda had and won without the help of his brother. Then again, Ikki was almost dead at the time :P .
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Hyoga, damn that guy got tortured half to death and back.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, he got frozen by his master, then Scorpio almost killed him, and after that he confronts his master to obtain Absolute Zero and almost dies.

Shiriu, he always gets blinded.

Anyhow, even with all of its craziness, I still enjoy the series.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Well, Hyoga loses an eye.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    You are right, but I think it is because he felt sorry for his childhood friend :(
    Post edited by Rym on
  • His mother gets killed.

He has to kill his master and his master's master.
  • edited November 2006
    I will also mention the ridiculous helmet.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited November 2006
    Wait a second. His helmet is pretty suave :P. (especially the final version)

Shun, his helmet is very weird.
    Now that I think about it, Hyoga has suffered a lot.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • You have to admit that the helmet he had in the beginning was pretty ridiculous.
  • edited November 2006
    You are right: it was very ridiculous. I mean, a Swan on your head (if I knew how to post pictures from my pc here I would do it).

But then again, in the beginning all the helmets were kind of... weird :P
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Not all of them: Seiya's was okay.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, but still my favorite Saint is Shiriu.

What is yours?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    If we can count the gold saint, then I choose Dohko because of his gallery of weapons.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Come on, I went for Shiriu because he inherits the awesome Libra Golden Cloth from his master.

And I am extending the universe to Hades and the next dimension.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    Well let me just lay out some facts about him:
    He battles his master.
    He has a freaking tattoo at fourteen years (strange yet utterly awesome).
    He has more blood than a hospital. ~_^

Well, he IS my favorite bronze saint alongside Shun, even thought he looked like a woman at first.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2006
    What are you talking about? Shun always looked like a woman. Can you imagine Shun with the phoenix cloth and badass Ikki with the Andromeda cloth? In my opinion, he knew all along, and he preferred to go through hell instead of wearing pink armor (that later became red).

Maybe you already know, but try and check out the live journal of Shaenon K. Garrity. It seems that this person does a way better job of describing the awesomeness of Saint Seiya.

I am ashamed to say it, but I do not have the manga. I thought it would be edited to pieces just like Tenjou Tenge, but it is ont in fact is even more gory and bloody than anything I have everread (i have i know). According to her/him: "If you try to edit Saint Seiya, Saint Seiya will punch you in the head, and then your head will explode." How awesome is that?

I hope we get to see the cool Hades volumes.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • WTF Japan! I liked the japanese version better.
  • Holy crap, so much red.
  • edited April 2009

• Instead of blood. Dic put in blue and green Gatorade liquid.
    At this point, I had a brain lapse: maybe Dic was intending to get the Idiocracy fans: it wasn't Gatorade they bled, it was Brawndo! It's got what plants (and Saints) crave, after all!
    Post edited by Robert on