This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A city with no traffic lights

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
Looks like Scrym may have found their Utopia. A city with no traffic lights.

Comments

• Looks like Scrym may have found their Utopia. A citywith no traffic lights.
    I've read about this before, and I like the idea a lot, but I'm still skeptical. If you look at someplace like India or South America where street lights and road signs are treated much less seriously, there are plenty of traffic problems. Also, as the number of cars increase the number of small accidents increase. In a place like India, you expect your car to have plenty of minor and meaningless dents and scrapes. In the US a harmless bump can result in insanity.

Also, if people are used to traffic lights, and you take them away they will be cautious. People who grow up without ever having traffic lights might behave differently. Lastly, this type of thing costs lots of money and requires specially designed roads with roundabouts and such. In the US we have way too many cars, way too much traffic, and such poorly designed roads, it might never work. If someone built a brand new town in the desert, then maybe this would work out. Other than that, I am not getting my hopes up.

Speed limits, however, are another matter entirely.
  • There aren't any traffic lights on Norfolk Island AND there is duty free shopping.
  • There aren't any traffic lights on Norfolk Island AND there is duty free shopping.
    I know where I'm retiring to.