This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii Demo Kiosk reactions

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
If something like this has been post before I apologize. I also apologize to Mr. Period for any pain that I cause him.

Today after I purchased Gear of War at my local EB/Gamestop I notice that they had a Wii demo station. Awesome. I asked if I could play it.

ClerK: "We need to see a photo id and you need to give us something of value so you don't run off with the remote".
Me: "Okay" Showed him my id and gave him my cellphone (Jokes on you bitch, that RAZR isn't even worth a Wii-mote).

I got to play Excite Truck. Now I have to say that the Wii's graphics are indeed spiffy. Nice and bright with plenty of character. Now to play Excite Truck you have to turn the wii-mote on its side with the d-pad in your left hand just like a NES controller. After dealing with the menus for a bit I got to the game. 3,2,1,START. BAM! Off my purple truck goes, up a mountain side into a turn and...*CRASH*. Crap. Okay pound the number 2 button to recover. Done. Back on the track now, going straight, make a little turn....*CRASH*. Oh god.

Truns out that the controller (which you turn like a steering wheel) is UBER sensitive. When I went to go to turn left even moving the controller just an quarter of an inch made my truck swing wildly out of control. Ok, methinks I need to play more. I stood there for about ten minutes and I have to say that I was starting to get the hang of it, but got damn were my arms tired. I realized that I was holding them completely outstretched for almost 20 minutes. Nintendo Wii, the new name in exercise.

Comments

• ClerK: "We need to see a photo id and you need to give us something of value so you don't run off with the remote".
    Me: "Okay" Showed him my id and gave him my cellphone (Jokes on you bitch, that RAZR isn't even worth a Wii-mote).
    That brings up an interesting point, how are they going to prevent people from stealing the Wiimotes from the demo stations? They can't really just take a personal belonging all the time and such...can they?

• ClerK: "We need to see a photo id and you need to give us something of value so you don't run off with the remote".
    That brings up an interesting point, how are they going to prevent people from stealing the Wiimotes from the demo stations? They can't really just take a personal belonging all the time and such...can they?
    I'm sure they'll rig something up, surely we cannot be the first people to think of that problem.
  • They'll probably attach them to cords at the station, like what they do for Gameboy demo stations..
  • Most, if not all, GB and DS stations have the device physically locked down to some sort of stand now a days I believe.
  • Baltmatrix, I wonder if the game had a slider to adjust the sensitivity in the options somewhere? I know most mouse-heavy games on the PC, like FPS's, have such a thing; I can't imagine the Wii games not having one.
  • Baltmatrix, I wonder if the game had a slider to adjust the sensitivity in the options somewhere? I know most mouse-heavy games on the PC, like FPS's, have such a thing; I can't imagine the Wii games not having one.
    Thats what I first thought when you said it was sensitive.
  • Most, if not all, GB and DS stations have the device physically locked down to some sort of stand now a days I believe.
    Last time I walked into a Best Buy, they had them on a stand, but you could pick it up off the stand with a retractable cord they had attached to the back.
  • I played excitetruck today and I was entertained... whether that's good or only lackluster, I can't say yet. I did enjoy it regardless.
  • Well we knew it was going to be entertaining.
  • For devices like the Wii-mote there is typically a cable, retractable or otherwise, that has a break-alarm on it. So if someone was stupid enough to rip it off (likely breaking it anyhow), an alarm would go off and attract a hell of a lot of attention.
  • edited November 2006
    For devices like the Wii-mote there is typically a cable, retractable or otherwise, that has a break-alarm on it. So if someone was stupid enough to rip it off (likely breaking it anyhow), an alarm would go off and attract a hell of a lot of attention.
    I accidentally did that in a mobile phone shop, i was looking at one of the demos and the charger cord (that was attached to the alarm system) was in a weird position and I knocked it out. The alarm went off and someone had to come and try to fix it, but couldn't and had to get someone else and all of the other phones in the shop stopped working too, so all the people who were trying them glared at me.(<-- run-on sentence)</font> Very embarrassing.
    Post edited by Apreche on