This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Books

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
Hey guys,

In just under two months I'm heading off to Asia (India, China, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam) for six months.
I'm basically looking for some book recommendations; I have heard Scrym mention some books before in an episode,
But for the life of me I can't remember. So any Sci-fi/adventure type books you think I must have?

Comments

• 1984 and good omens, those two are my favorite books aside from most of hp Lovecraft's stories.
  • The only sci-fi adventure I've read lately is the Lensman series. If you want to read those, I suggest you read Galactic Patrol first.
  • Scott, could you please tell me who writes the difference engine.

I want to read it.
  • William Gibson and Bruce Sterling teamed up on The Difference Engine. William Gibson writes many awesome cyberpunk books. If you enjoy those books, you should also read the books by Neal Stephenson. Those two plus Neil Gaiman are the triumvirate of modern geek novelists.
  • Thanks Scott, now I will rush into my nearby bookstore and purchase it.
    Did I mention the bookstore near my house puts the Bible in the fantasy section? The owner is bad ass.
  • 1) How much room do you have for books?
    2) How fast do you read?
    3) Are there any writers you do not want to read?
  • If slightly creepy epic fantasy appeals to you, you might try the Prince of Nothing series.
  • Lets see,

Jhereg is a book and the start of a series about a human assassin working in an elven empire.

Storm Front by Tim Butcher is about the only mage listed in the Chicago Yellow Pages and the mystery he's hired to solve.

The Warrior's Apprentice by L.M. Bujold is a space opera book about a frail but brilliant and charismatic young fellow with a huge Napoleon complex being in the military and generally having his way with the galaxy at large.

These are all the first books in their series, in case you like them and want to read more. I'd highly recommend all of them.
  • Fantastic, thanks guys.
    1) How much room do you have for books?
    2) How fast do you read?
    3) Are there any writers you do not want to read?
    1. I have room for about 3/4 books.
    2. I am not very fast at reading, i like to take my time. I would say an average novel would take 2 weeks if i read for an hour or 2 each day.
    3. No writers in particular, any suggestions you have.
  • If you are looking for some loooong books that are intertwined I'd have to suggest any of the books in the Heinlein "future history" series.

They feature a particular character who was bred to live forever... and he does...

I would be wary of his later books. As got on in years he made it a personal mission to put as much past his publisher as possible. This includes long incest stories among other things. The song, "I'm my own gran-pa" comes to mind when talking about his later books.

1) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    2) Time Enough for Love

For a third book I would have to say you should try "Gateway" by Fredrick Pohl. That book has a number of sequels but the whole idea of the book is just great!
  • I'm a little late to submit fresh ideas to you, but if you enjoy fantasy/science fiction, I'd definitely recommend The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis. It's not really allegorical or spiritual or anything and it's a fascinating read and insightful to sociology.
  • edited November 2006
    I enjoyed the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman... It doesn't appear to have been mentioned.

I second anything written by Neil Gaiman. You may want to read Stardust in particular as it is being adapted for the big screen, and will probably show some time midway through next year. :D

Random trivia: Did you know Neil Gaiman's father is a pretty important Scientologist? Neil Gaiman tends to refrain from comment on the matter, so I only found out recently. I am probably the only person ever who didn't already know that. >_>
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Random trivia: Did you know Neil Gaiman's father is a pretty important Scientologist? Neil Gaiman tends to refrain from comment on the matter,so I only found out recently. I am probably the only person ever who didn't already know that. >_>
    I actually did not know that. I will investigate.
  • edited November 2006
    Seems to be true from poking about on the 'net. I was intrigued and tried to find something Neil Gaiman himself has said regarding Scientology, but he is very careful to avoid the subject in interviews and the like. That's probably the wisest course of action, really.

EDIT: The most solid bit of evidence you could easily get your hands on would be the article published in the Times on August the 13th, 1968. You need a subscription to the Times Online to view it though. Whether it actually mentions Neil or his father by name, I don't know. I may try from the university campus - they might have a subscription.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • I'm a big fan of old-school sci-fi. I highly recommend the Gateway series by Frederik Pohl. Also high on the list are Eon by Greg Bear (if you like math and physics), Dune by Frank Herbert if you haven't read it already, The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clark (and pretty much everything else by him too), Larry Niven's Ringworld, everything by Joe Haldeman, Neuromancer by William Gibson.... looking at my shelves, looking at my shelves.... Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, The Riverworld Saga by Phillip Jose Farmer, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, every book every written by Kurt Vonnegut (they almost all have some sci-fi element, even though they aren't about sci-fi, really).

Got-RAM I have a lot of books. There are more, but you're probably not reading this post anymore.
  • Random trivia: Did you know Neil Gaiman's father is a pretty important Scientologist? Neil Gaiman tends to refrain from comment on the matter,so I only found out recently. I am probably the only person ever who didn't already know that. >_>
    Really? How interesting, you aren't the last person ever but I understand the feeling, I was officially the last Australian who knows who Bob Brown is to know that he was gay.
  • I was officially the last Australian who knows who Bob Brown is to know that he was gay.
    No, that would be me. *uninformed*
  • The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
    My sweet-orange tree by Jose Mauro de Vasconcelos
    Edipo Rex
    The Illiad
    If you can take manga buy Monster :P
  • I was officially the last Australian who knows who Bob Brown is to know that he was gay.
    No, that would be me. *uninformed*
    Woot! I'm NOT the last person to know!
  • If you can take manga buy Monster :P
    Monster is good. Goes on for freakin' ever though. D:
  • Mamath, you also are not the last.
  • If you're a fan of podcast novels, the print version of Earthcore by Scott Sigler can be found on amazon.com for cheap, less than $15 last time I checked.