This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Worst idea ever?

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
New Zealand students can now use "txt speek" in their exams according to CNN. What a great idea, cause people don't make enough jokes about New Zealand.

SO DA THNG ABOUT MACBTH SI TAHT HAR DIDNT RILLY WANT 2 B KNG W3L HE WANTED IT LIEK EV3RYONE WUD CAUES IT WUD B LIEK 2TALY COL BUT WASNT OBSESED ABOUT IT!11111 WTF THAN THASE WITCHAS COME ALONG AND TEL HIM TAHT HE WUD B KNG!1!1! LOL SO DA QUASTION SI RIGHT IF DA WITCHES HADNT SADE ANYTHNG WUD IT HAEV HAPANED ANYWAY OR WAS IT THEYRE PROPHACY LIEK 2TALY TAHT SPARK3D TEH WHOL3 THNG??!?!?? OMG WTF

Comments

• Mr. Period must be shooting his brains out right now... :(
  • edited November 2006
    lewl wtf y kiwis r teh FAIL unlimited txt speek Works yo \o/ ~LATELATELATE
    Post edited by Kite on
  • okay this is weird, I figured some public high school here in the US would allow that sort of thing, but New Zealand?
  • It's a sad day for the english language...
  • Anyone who uses that in my class can expect to fail, immediately, regardless of any other work they did all year.
  • edited November 2006
    Language is constantly evolving with the times. If you think that this is going to be the end of the English language, you need to get over yourself, luddites.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Language is constantly evolving with the times. If you think that this is going to be the end of the English language, you need to get over yourself, luddites.
    Anyone with that much confidence clearly has not met some of the kids I tutor. Sweet bajeezus they make me worry because one day they will breed holy shit.

Having said that, I'm certain the English language will adapt. Just because these kids are allowed to use "txt speek" doesn't mean the rules of grammar and spelling are entirely thrown out the door. Words have the same meaning even if they are spelled differently so basic grammar still applies! I suspect the allowance of "txt speek" will be pretty limited.
  • edited November 2006
    Language is constantly evolving with the times. If you think that this is going to be the end of the English language, you need to get over yourself, luddites.
    Having said that, I'm certain the English language will adapt. Just because these kids are allowed to use "txt speek" doesn't mean the rules of grammar and spelling are entirely thrown out the door. Words have the same meaning even if they are spelled differently so basic grammar still applies! I suspect the allowance of "txt speek" will be pretty limited.
    I submit from George Orwell's 1984 the term Newspeak. And we all know how well that turned out...

I bet George is turning in his grave because of how well he called it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My main issue with 'txt speek' is that it is often indecipherable, and when writing something to be read and MARKED you should try to make it understandable.
  • English evolved from Latin, German, and Scandinavian, so it doubtless will evolve further into yet another language as more components and ideas are integrated into it, mainly from the tech-oriented aspect of society. As for double-speak, we are nowhere close to it. If anything, the English language has developed more for the use of debate and dissent than for anything else.

Also, the problem with the Orwellian argument has always been numbers. To dominate the populace Orwell-style as written in the book, the conspirators must have numbered almost as many as the dominated classes. When we will really have to start to fear a 1984 world is when technology evolves to the point that it is not only possible, but also cost-effective and simple for a tiny minority to subjugate and control the remaining 95 percent of the population.
  • edited November 2006
    My main issue with 'txt speek' is that it is often indecipherable, and when writing something to be read and MARKED you should try to make it understandable.
    Hence why I think its usage will be limited. The article doesn't say much about exactly how NZ plans to implement "txt speek" (unless I missed that). I reckon it'll just be things like allowing kids to write the shortened version of words every now and then and/or in a certain context. "Txt speek" isn't all that useful in an essay anyway so it's not much of a concession.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • Meanwhile Microsoft is adding Australian slang to the Office dictionary.
  • MeanwhileMicrosoftis adding Australian slang to the Office dictionary.
    OMG YAY! :D
  • English evolved from Latin, German, and Scandinavian, so it doubtless will evolve further into yet another language as more components and ideas are integrated into it, mainly from the tech-oriented aspect of society. As for double-speak, we are nowhere close to it. If anything, the English language has developed more for the use of debate and dissent than for anything else.

Also, the problem with the Orwellian argument has always been numbers. To dominate the populace Orwell-style as written in the book, the conspirators must have numbered almost as many as the dominated classes. When we will really have to start to fear a 1984 world is when technology evolves to the point that it is not only possible, but also cost-effective and simple for a tiny minority to subjugate and control the remaining 95 percent of the population.
    When I read this article the frist thing I tought was of 1984.

But newspeak simplifies the language by deleting synonyms and antonyms to reduce the range of thought; this is not the same for text speak which simplifies the word itself.