This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

File Help (stubborn deletion)

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
I need help. A file on my desktop will not allow me to delete it because of an invalid file name. I've downloaded file deleter programs and renaming programs but nothing seems to work. I don't have any access to the file, the file cannot be moved and no program can open the file.. and when I actually try to delete it, not even so much as an error message, it just sits there. Help!

Comments

• The solution is easy. Knoppix or another live cd will allow you to delete any file anywhere on a windows system.
  • There is also a windows program called "unlocker" that can remove what ever "lock" is on the file preventing you from deleting it.
  • I must uphold tradition my pointing out that if you do not use Windows, this type of thing can not happen.
  • Where can I get just such a live CD?
  • edited November 2006
    Ok, so I downloaded Knoppix and ran it in failsafe. I got the same problems.. Not all messages came up when the file was right clicked, and also it said "COULD NOT DELETE so-and-so file."

What's the next thing to try?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2006
    Do a Google search for a program called "unlocker".
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • A Knoppix or other Linux LiveCD will not necessarily allow you to easily delete a file on a windows file system. If it is an NTFS file system, a LiveCD will not mount it automatically. You have to mount it by hand. Not only that, but when it is mounted, it will be mounted read-only. You need to do a lot of stuff to mount a NTFS file system as read/write in Linux. There are howtos for different distros on many forums and wikis.