This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First Linux Blip...

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
So I've been using Linux for a few weeks on a secondary computer, and it's been perfect until last night.

Last night, Linux froze. The kind of froze that you can still move your cursor around, but nothing you click on works. Instinctively, I pressed the ctrl+alt+del panic button. A split second later I realized that I'm not using windows. Scrym's words of "If something goes wrong in Linux, you have to fix it yourself" were ringing through my head as I tried to think of something I could do besides just forcing the CPU off. But, in the end, that's what I did.

My question is, if this happens again, is there any better way to handle the situation? I assume there is no 'panic button' in Linux, so what the hell do I do?

Comments

• If you can move the cursor around, but nothing works, then Linux has not crashed. X has simply screwed up. You can press ctrl+alt+backspace to restart X. A better idea is to press ctrl+alt+F1 to go to TTY1 where a getty is probably running. You can then login on that TTY and kill whatever programs are misbehaving. Then press ctrl+alt+F7 to return to TTY7 where X resides.
  • There we go. A panic button.
  • There we go. A panic button.
    No, not rly. At least not in the way you are thinking.