This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Factoids

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
With Mamath's interesting little tidbit and my obsession about finding people who inform that Bob Brown is gay I thought it would be interesting for us to share the random little factoids we may have collected over the years.

Ladybugs are riddled with STIs and chlamydia is a big problem amongst Koalas.

Comments

• The hydrogen molecules on an oxygen molecule in H2O are always 150 degrees apart.
  • edited November 2006
    The first outdoor miniature golf courses were started on New York City rooftops in 1926.

EDIT: The trick here is that you can't share things you look up on the web. They have to be facts that you've internalized for no useful reason whatsoever.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited November 2006
    The Internet is not a series of tubes.

The first music video on MTV was "Video Killed the Radio Star"
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Protein phosphatase are dephosphorylate proteins
  • Margarine is one atomic particle away from plastic.

Never once in the original Star Trek did anyone say "Beam me up, Scotty."
  • edited November 2006
    The farthest H.P. Lovecraft had ever been from his home was NYC.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Daddy Long Legs (Harvestmen) are neither poisonous nor spiders.

Also, Tuttle88: I think you're missing a few key conjuctions up there.
  • edited November 2006
    You are right, silly me. Anyways , Thank you very much since I have a exam tomorrow.

Well then:
    The most common outcomes of cell signaling are : Transcription and degranulation
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • In Tobago, the everyday spirits blamed for most common misfortunes are referred to collectively as the "jumbies."
  • In the original books, Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson". Ever.
  • 100 degrees Fahrenheit is the rectal temperature of a cow. (having checked on Wikipedia, this is a bit doubtful, but I will stick with it).
  • Lima is the capital of Peru
  • edited November 2006
    Margarine is one atomic particle away from plastic.
    Nope. And nope again.

To be born on Sunday was considered a sign of great sin during the Puritan times. (Due to the belief, since pregnancy was measured in weeks, that the child was conceived on a Sunday.)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Led Zeppelin wasn't an actual person.
  • Edgar Allan Poe was not as morbid as many people believe he was. The image many people have of Poe as a depressed and morose person come from a biography that was created by one of his biggest critics who managed to steal Poe's manuscripts from his bedridden mother to slander Poe after his death. He was actually a very humorous and outgoing person.
    Who ever thought there was a person named Led Zeppelin?
    Who ever thought there was a person named Led Zeppelin?
    Okay, which one of you pink guys is Floyd?
  • Most web-weaving spiders eat and recycle their silk on a daily basis. So masses of dusty cobwebs are a sign of dead spiders, not living ones.
  • Protein phosphatase are dephosphorylate proteins
    In my lab, we actually measure the activity of the phosphatase enzyme in a milk sample in order to ascertain whether or not it is pasteurized correctly.

Fun fact: Any "organic" milk company that claims their milk contains no hormones is probably lying. Vitamin D, a common component of milk, is, in fact, a hormone.
  • edited November 2006
    Any "organic" milk company that claims their milk contains no hormones is probably lying.
    The usual claim is that it contains no artificial growth hormones. See, for example, the claims that these companies make:
    Organic Valley and Horizon Organic. Horizon makes it clear that natural hormones are present in their milk.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist responding since I am from a state with a large dairy industry.
  • Steve's Fun Facts:

1) Other people's children are only annoying until you have your own.
    2) Your wife is NEVER the same person after the first baby is born, so get over it!
  • The first movie that Joss Whendon Directed was Serenity, and I love it.
  • Jethro Tull isn't a person in the band. I have heard people say this one. Off the top of my head, I think he was an agriculturalist.
  • 2) Your wife is NEVER the same person after the first baby is born, so get over it!
    Care to elaborate?
  • Any "organic" milk company that claims their milk contains no hormones is probably lying.
    The usual claim is that it contains noartificialgrowth hormones. See, for example, the claims that these companies make:
    Organic ValleyandHorizon Organic.Horizon makes it clear that natural hormones are present in their milk.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist responding since I am from a state with a large dairy industry.
    So am I. New York, the 3rd largest dairy producing state in the nation. I'm a microbiologist working in the state regulatory lab, responsible for analyzing all milks produced in the state to ensure a high standard of quality for the consumers of New York.

Regardless, a website might claim one thing, but the label statement, the primary source of consumer information, quite often simply says "no hormones."
  • edited November 2006
    Regardless, a website might claim one thing, but thelabel statement, the primary source of consumer information, quite often simply says "no hormones."
    Care to cite a an example? I'm not aware of any present-day labels that make that claim, especially since the FDA cracked down on this in 2003.

It wouldn't surprise me if I was incorrect, since I don't work in the business. Since you claim that this happens "quite often", certainly you must have a present-day example you can easily cite.

To be sure, there were many examples of this prior to 2003. Many of which are contained on this website, which has a thinly veiled agenda - and still has old photos.

I'm used to labels such as this that clearly state that they are talking about added growth hormones.
  • Hayao Miyazaki was named one of TIme Magazine's most influential people to date. (For his film work, obviously)
  • (For his film work, obviously)
    Really? I just assumed it was from that time he wrestled a bear in Nagasaki.
  • (For his film work, obviously)
    Really? I just assumed it was from that time he wrestled a bear in Nagasaki.
    One time he and Rummy and I were out on a boat whaling, and he tried to make me squeal like a pig. I swear to God.
  • Kilarney: It would really be unethical for me to photograph a sample and post its picture here while claiming that the manufacturer is making a false label statement.

The most frequent offenders are small dairies; Horizon Organic and Organic Valley do specify that they have "no added growth hormones," though Organic Valley claims they use "no synthetic hormones," which is a highly dubious claim. Milk is fortified with commercially produced vitamin D, and the process of making that vitamin D is highly synthetic by most people's usage of the word. Specifying "no growth hormones" is just fine, but I have personally seen many small organic farms simply make a blanket "no hormones" statement about the milk. If I can find a couple of manufacturer names tomorrow at work, I'll post them, but I really shouldn't be taking pics of samples. Arguing from personal experience isn't the best way to go, so I will make an attempt to back this stuff up.