This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I've been buried!

edited November 2006 in Technology
I'm speechless...

After listening to TWiT 77 I blogged about a few lines at the end where Leo talked about the failed Digg/News Corp deal.

One of my friends put my blog entry on Digg and now it's been buried!

The Digg entry

I'm in shock... I've had an entry get zero traction on Digg but I've never had one get buried before it even got off the ground!

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I just voted for it.

A couple of comments:
    1) I don't believe anyone who claims that Digg is not for sale. Who in their right mind would give up a multi-million paycheck for a website that appears to have reached its zenith? Unless their model is intellectually protected, Digg is vulnerable to competition (ie: Google). Now is the time to sell.
    2) Your article says that the VCs cost Kevins his "shot" at a multi-million dollar paycheck. The VCs aren't stupid. It's entirely likely that Kevin will get more than he was willing to settle for when the VCs eventually sell Digg. While he may not be steering the ship, I don't think Kevin has much to worry about.

I'm pretty impressed with how well some of the former Tech Tv people are doing. Do you think Leo Laporte is making decent $$$$ over at twit.tv?

The guy that drove me nuts on Tech Tv was Chris Pirillo. His own website encourages folks to sign this petition to bring Chris back on the air. Quite embarrassing and shameless.

And of course who can remember Cat Schwartz's hard-learned lesson on Photoshop cropping. Woops!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I still think those VC folks were looking at the price tags of MySpace and YouTube going into negotiations.

There is software available to make your own Digg clone, it's not that hard. The hard part is dealing with the growth and having that software run over multiple servers. Even that is not too hard if you design the software to scale.

I'm just seeing a repeat of Friendster here. Remember that? Everyone thought it was worth more and in the end they did not scale well and lost the market to other web companies.

I just can't see a big price tag on a website that is designed to give OTHER people the benefit.

CIP: I had a blog entry get "Dugg" in September. That one Digging earned me over $75 in AdSense earnings. StumbleUpon provided a long tail to that experience and brought that income up to $175 before it petered out.

Digg is not a website designed to keep people "in" It's more of an Internet trampoline. People bounce in for a minute and then bounce out.
  • I Dugg it, pretty weird, huh?
  • For about 1 minute it came out of buried status and appeared in a search.

It's still gone from the upcoming area (paged and cloud view)...

It's times like these I would like to be able to know the "buried" status of the story but I understand that sort of information would just lead to a flame war...