This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Reasons to buy a DS lite

edited December 2006 in Video Games
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, and I have a general question. I am considering buying a DS lite, because I love the games for it, and some of the neat functions, design. I was wondering if there is any advice that you can give me, as to why I should buy it, and what some unique tangibles about this handheld console are. Lastly any game investments I should make (excluding Mario Kart DS that is a given)!

If anyone is looking for an example of poor writing, this is it. I shudder to use the word "sentence" in conjunction with this post.
-Mr. Period

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Start with this, do you already own a DS Fat Phat? If so, there is no reason for you to buy a Lite for any other reason than it looking cooler that the original.

As for games, Mario Kart and Metroid are a must because of the online play. Also, if you liked Animal Crossing, Animal Crossing: Wild World improves on virtually every feature of the original. Plus, the online feature is awesome.

Non-online games I recommend would be:
    -Nanostray. An awesome space shooter that flew under the radar(no pun intended) during the last holiday season because of distribution problems. Seriously, If you can find this game, pick it up. It is a gem.
    -Yoshi's Touch and Go. An incredibly addicting game. You will find yourself trying to beat your own high score constantly.
    -Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Obviously, if you liked Advanced Wars, you'll love this.

[Edit] Oh, I forgot why you should buy it! You should buy it because the PSP has crappy games and the DS is the best and most innovative and most fun handheld system on the market. The best part being that, for a con-goer, it is the perfect thing to occupy yourself in between panels. Just find a group with their DSes and play a few rounds.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The best thing of course about the DS Lite is the beautiful bright screen. In terms of games i have Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, AOE: The Age Of Kings, Bomberman, Phoenix Wright and Advance Wars 2.

New Super Mario is ace and i picked it up for 30 bucks (Euro) so got my moneys worth from the game. AOE: TAOK is really well done and you will enjoy it if your a fan of RTS games, although some campaign quests can go on painfully for hours due to the AI just hiding and not giving up. Bomberman is pretty good, the multiplayer is loads of fun, and makes great use of the dual screens. Phoenix Wright is fantastic, if you enjoy puzzle type gaming you will surely enjoy this (Although i couldn't find it for cheaper then 45 bucks) Advance wars is pretty fun too, although i have not really gotten into it. Hope that helps a bit!
  • edited December 2006
    If anyone is looking for an example of poor writing, this is it. I shudder to use the word "sentence" in conjunction with this post.
    -Mr. Period
    Normally, I would side with you on this. And, while I agree with you, this forum is by no means an ivory tower. Remember, there are things far worse than bad sentence structure. Some people just never were taught how to properly form a sentence. I know that school didn't teach me crap about things like sentence structure and proper use of punctuation. I learned it all through being online, in forums, being corrected. Hiro is trying. And, plus, you need to be knocked off your high horse every once in a while, Señor Period =) This instance just struck me as particularly harsh.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This instance just struck me as particularly harsh.
    I try to be a little harsh on new members. It is best to make my presence and purpose known to them as soon as possible.
  • I have both versions of the DS. But with 4 people in the family who play games on them, they are both usually in demand. You don't get more functionality out of the DS Lite, but you do get a back up machine in case one of them goes down. The last two weekends have required that I travel and visit a lot. Both machines got tons of use. I agree with Sail that the DS is a terrific system. I've been thinking about getting a PSP just as a supplement to portable gaming, but I doubt that that will happen anytime soon.
  • This instance just struck me as particularly harsh.
    I try to be a little harsh on new members. It is best to make my presence and purpose known to them as soon as possible.
  • I understand the necessity of enforcing stricter grammar rules on newer members (I am one myself), but can we please return to the topic at hand?

In all honesty, getting a DS Lite is almost completely unnecessary if you don't care for aesthetics or screen brightness/resolution. The DS Phat will be fine if that's the case.
  • I understand the necessity of enforcing stricter grammar rules on newer members (I am one myself), but can we please return to the topic at hand?

In all honesty, getting a DS Lite is almost completely unnecessary if you don't care for aesthetics or screen brightness/resolution. The DS Phat will be fine if that's the case.
    One thing you will learn is that this forum runs off on tangents ALOT, I mean there was this one time where...

shit.
  • The DS Phat, however, is only very slightly cheaper than a DS Lite. ^_~ Also, the brighter screen has one very important use: in sunlight.
  • The DS Phat, however, is only very slightly cheaper than a DS Lite. ^_~ Also, the brighter screen has one very important use: in sunlight.
    True, but the trade-in value of the DS Phat is abysmal. If one doesn't already have a DS, then the DS Lite is a sure thing. If one already owns a DS Phat and it isn't scratched up or somehow broken, then it really isn't worth it UNTIL the DS Phat gets to the point where it cannot be used.
    True, but the trade-in value of the DS Phat is abysmal. If one doesn't already have a DS, then the DS Lite is a sure thing. If one already owns a DS Phat and it isn't scratched up or somehow broken, then it really isn't worth it UNTIL the DS Phat gets to the point where it cannot be used.
    If you're trading in your games or consoles to Gamestop/EB, then finance is obviously not your concern.
  • I see your point, Scott. In the end, it all truly depends on the financial standings of the topic creator. If he has the money to pay for a DS Lite, then he should definitely go for it.
  • Stuff trade in try and sell it on eBay.
  • Thank you guys, for all of your suggestions.

I will start by saying that, no I do not own a DS. Hence, I am well persuaded now to buy a DS Lite. Money is not an issue for me. Lastly, thanks to Mr. Period for all the grammatical corrections. At the end of the day, I just need to remind myself that he is just doing his job. ^_____________^
  • I forgot to mention, I already own a gameboy advance SP. Is it worth buying a DS Lite, although I have a SP? Comments and suggestions are requested.

Thank you.
  • I forgot to mention, I already own a gameboy advance SP. Is it worth buying a DS Lite, although I have a SP? Comments and suggestions are requested.

Thank you.
    If you ask me, it is worth it to get a DS, but don't throw away your SP. There are plenty of awesome DS games that you can't play on your SP that make it totally worth it. However, you won't be able to play GameBoy or GameBoy Color games on your DS. If you want to play a GBA game in multi-player mode, the DS will not do it. And of course, if you want to connect to a GameCube for some Crystal Chronicles or Pac-Man vs., you will want that SP.
  • Everything that needs to be said has already been. You now have adequate motivation to come up with the best decision, Hiro.