This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu Linux Problems

edited December 2006 in Everything Else
Okay, so I wanted to explore the world of Linux on my only good computer, and I figured the best way to do this was to use a Ubuntu Live CD, because I don't want to get rid of Windows just yet. Anyway, I booted the live CD, and as it is loading, it freezes at something like "AGP Aperture being loaded". I did the disc's self test to see if my disc was messed up and it came out fine. Anyway, please help, I really want to try Ubuntu linux. I have Fedora Core 5 running on an old crap computer of mine, but the resolution won't go above 640 x 480, even if I try to force it. Weird. Anyway, plz help!

Comments

• That resolution is too small.

You will find some configuration programs will not fit on the screen!
  • I know, that's why I want to load one on my main computer.
  • You have to load the livecd in a failsafe mode if something like that happens. Fedora 5 probably won't let you increase the resolution because X is using crap vesa drivers.
  • Thanks Scott, i'll try that. Also, I loaded up a Live CD of Slax and it encountered an error when loading hotplug. I had to turn hotplug off to make it work. So, I was wondering, what the heck is hotplug, because Slax seemed to run fine without it, other than the fact that I can't get on the internet with Slax, which is my second question. I have my Ethernet cord plugged in, and I get the standard lights on the card, as well as on my modem, but I can't get on the net. I may be configuring the internet stuff wrong, but if anyone knows much about Slax, maybe they could help.

Finally, I was hoping that someone could recommend another good Linux Live CD for me to try?

Thanks a ton!
    Vhdblood
  • Sorry to double post, but there's a lot more information in this post.

I was hoping you could elaborate on the running Ubuntu in Failsafe mode thing, because I know how to run it under special parameters, but i'm not sure what this failsafe mode is. I did a disc check to make sure my disc was ok, which it was, and then I ran it under a normal boot, and then a limited graphics mode boot (something like that), but neither got me very far. I can post the specific messages I got, but they are somewhat long. Also, is there any way to make Ubuntu spit out a log of the boot, so I don't have to type the whole section?

Thanks again!
    Vhdblood
  • Your best bet is to search for the error message on google.
  • Bump for any more help?
  • I just installed ubuntu on my computer (dual booting) but things seem to be loading slow in it, namely loading image and whatnot. Any ideas?
  • edited May 2009
    Yay thread revival!

Okay, so I've been out of Ubuntu for a while. I just installed a fresh copy of 9.04 on my hard drive. I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing, but now I'm having doubts. The drive structure looks like this.

20gb Windows Drive(NTFS)/200gb Storage (NTFS)/2gb Swap(Swap)/16gb Linux(ext3)

Anyway, I was doing okay, until I did the 9.04 security updates. Now my Firefox just loads up and crashes automatically in Ubuntu, no error message or anything, and when I booted back into Windows, I got a registry error (it said it restored everything from backups), and now some things on my Storage drive won't allow me to delete them, and my firefox settings in windows got reset.

Help?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Firefox settings in Windows reset. When you installed the Ubuntu did you let it transfer settings from the Windows? That may have caused the problem. Also, it might be that your Ubuntu Firefox is somehow looking at the Windows drive for its profile. Maybe it did something weird like mount your windows documents and settings folder to your linux home folder. If that worked, it could be interesting and useful to have the same My Documents in either OS and such, but it's just asking for trouble. Keep 'em seperated.
  • I've got the same Firefox error, it came after an update messed something up. Running Firefox from the terminal gives back the error that Firefox cant find Gnome. Give me a while and I'll find a fix for it.
  • Is this error only with dual boots? My laptop is just fine.
  • Is this error only with dual boots? My laptop is just fine.
    There are a lot of different factors involved.
  • edited May 2009
    Found the solution:
    1) Go into synaptic
    2) Search for "xulrunner".
    3) Install "xulrunner".
    If that doesn't work:
    4) Reinstall "xulrunner-1.9" and "xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support".
    Post edited by Omnutia on