This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tribes 2: "The way it used to be"

edited December 2006 in Video Games
I was listening to the Favorite Video Games episode yesterday and I learned that Tribes 2 is now free (as well as its being teh awesome). Never being one to say no to free games (I still can't figure out how to dl the Quake games), I downloaded it. It seems pretty cool. In the above episode, Rym and Scott talked about bringing back Tribes 2 "the way it used to be". I didn't play online, but the idea of playing it "the way it used to be" intrigues me. I for one would be interested in playing in ye olde style. But what exactly is said style? What was it like to play "back in the day"?

Comments

• Lots of players.
  • The original game out of the box, without patches installed, played differently from the later game. They kept changing the way skiing, gravity, and vehicle pads worked in increasingly infuriating ways. By the time they tried to undo the damage, it was already too late to save it.
  • Ah, so there's little to no chance of seeing a revival of people from the forum?
  • Could someone give me a link to the free version?
  • Sure thing. I couldn't get it off Fileplanet, but this place worked well:
    Tribes 2
  • A FRC Forum Game Night has been attempted several times, to no avail.
  • I know it's a grinder, but if anyone wants to come play Knight Online World for free on FRC game night, I'll level you :D
  • I can't figure out how to patch mine right.. but I loved playing it. I was in a top Dogfighting clan and we OWNED. I remember being all pre-adolescent and getting giddy at a clan promotion... ah good times.