This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061213 - Jeff Tatarek on Anime Music Videos

edited December 2006 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we have a very special episode. Join us as we speak with anime music video expert Jeff Tatarek about all things AMV. Learn about the art, the history, the community and more pertaining to this wonderful subset of anime fandom.

Comments

• (I'm sorry, I just had to do this)

Blah blah blah, you guys are wrong about X, Y, or Z.
  • Rym and Scott, you are getting lazy! WE have to post the show threads now!? Is this what it's come to!?
  • edited December 2006
    Rym and Scott, you are getting lazy! WE have to post the show threads now!? Is this what it's come to!?
    Those tyrannical bastards are driving us down into the dirt. First, we are forced to download the episode just to listen to the podcast. Now, we are even forced to post the SHOW THREADS. The cruelty of these hosts amazes me. As GeekNights listeners, we demand instantaneous audio content. We demand complete instantaneous episode posting. At the very least, we demand INSTANT SHOW THREAD POSTING. Why, Rym and Scott, slavedrivers of this forum, must you drive us ever closer to insanity? Why must you force upon us such an intense workload JUST to listen to about an hour of auditory content?

This is unheard of. Fellow GeekNights listeners, it is our time to revolt. As one, we can someday gather enough strength to overthrow the tyrannical rule of Rym and Scott. One day, we will never be forced to click on a download link to recieve their content. One day, we will have constant, never-ending podcasts. ONE DAY, they will bow down to us, the listener, and submit to all of our demands.

And when that day comes, my friends, we shall be victorious.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited December 2006
    Why must you force upon us such an intense workload JUST to listen to about an hour of olfactory content?

Your podcast downloads come with smell-based content?
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • Why must you force upon us such an intense workload JUST to listen to about an hour of olfactory content?
    Yes, they do. Rym smells like rose petals, and Scott smells like that nasty soap in his bathroom.
  • Rym, you know how I know that you are gay?
  • Why must you force upon us such an intense workload JUST to listen to about an hour of olfactory content?
    Yes, they do. Rym smells like rose petals, and Scott smells like that nasty soap in his bathroom.
    My soap is awesome.
  • Well, it's just a fancy way of saying that the content "stinks". Yeah, that's it. I swear.

Fine, I'll edit it. Bastards.
  • My soap is awesome.
    If you're a sewer rat, living in the sewer, with all the sewer things, then yes, your soap is, relative to the sewer-infested sewer that surrounds you, awesome.
  • But if you're used to sewery goodness, wouldn't soap be the most stinky thing you'd ever encountered and therefore pegging the suck meter?
  • That was an awesome episode, very funny. :)
  • To mirror what Jeff said, for heaven's sake don't use the searches on AMV.org, go to the top rated and to favorite videos. Once you've downloaded all of those (me, obsessed?) you can use the intelligent search thing and you'll have about a 30% success rate, which is better than normal searches.
  • I never really cared much for AMV.org, my friends usually just point me to some good anime music videos. Just like with youtube. My friends do all the finding for me.
  • YouTube doesn't have very high quality videos, though. Sometimes higher quality is just nice, but sometimes its critical.
  • Such as any AMV that has editing on the beat. It doesn't take long for YouTube to get out of sync.
  • Such as any AMV that has editing on the beat. It doesn't take long for YouTube to get out of sync.
    Good point, never thought of that. However, YouTube tends to only get out of sync with old versions of flash on crappy or overworked computers. With Flash 9 on Linux and a fast CPU it hardly ever gets out of sync.
  • You guys forgot the best part of that April fools showing, where we proved that the club will sit there until the lights come on.

After the last show ended, we had my laptop setup so it would kick in the screen saver (xscreensaver collection) and play the Linkin Park song in the background in a loop. The plan was to wait and see how long before people would just leave. I think it played 3-4 times through the song with people cheering at the screensaver before we gave up and stopped it.
  • Kay's line from Men in Black applies very well here:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."