This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 64 - Driving

edited February 2006 in GeekNights
Tell driving stories here.

Frappr! Map here

Comments

• edited February 2006
    A British friend of mine sent me this flash today. It's really funny and it might just fall under this topic: http://bambusratte.com/Fun/fs.htm All it needs is American signs, but the concept doesn't change.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • I've seen that before. It's pretty funny. Pay close attention to the one wher ethe guy stops at the T in the road and the bicycle race comes by and he has to stay at the stop sign forever. That's a good lesson about right of way. That guy at the stop sign SHOULD have to stay there forever until the bicycles stop coming. The bikes have right of way being already on the road going straight. If the cyclists stop to let him go, that's bad.
  • Well, unless there were traffic. ^_~ If the right of way traffic is entirely stopped by road conditions, they MUST leave all intersections open in order to allow others in. That's really the only exception, though.
  • I saw that flash two years ago. Though I didn't realize it wa british.
  • Don't hit pedestrians. Car vs person = very bad.
  • Well, I don't think it's British though a British friend sent it to me. I believe it's Italian. The main site is here http://www.bozzetto.com/ and then you click on flash for the creator's flash files.
  • edited February 2006
    I'd like to mention on annoyance to everyone. If you are going merge on to a 65mph highway, please do so at 65mph and not at 40mph. i seem to be always stuck behind the asshole that does that.

Sorry about that, I didn't hear the whole podcast. *sheepish*
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Don't pass someone on the LEFT over a DOUBLE YELLOW if he's TRYING TO TURN LEFT!!!

Two years ago, I was driving on a highway, and I slowed down to turn left onto a sidestreet. The woman behind me drives an inch off my bumber, starts honking, and then, just before I begin to make my (signalled) turn, she PASSES me on the left. I was dumbfounded.

She flipped me off as well.
  • edited February 2006
    The average album these days has probably 12 - 15 songs on it, counting modern mainstream music.

Most hard rock and metal bands have between 8 and 10 songs on an album, since most of those songs are at least 5 minutes in length.

The only bands I can think of that have 6 or fewer tracks on a full-length album are prog bands. Dream Theater released a double album that, technically, has only 6 tracks on it.

So yeah. You were both wrong about that.

EDIT: To make this relevant to driving, New Jersey sucks. And I don't even drive.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Wow.. Yeah, I was looking through all of the "albums" I have that were ripped in some way by me to mp3, and they're mostly less than 10 songs. Of course, they're not really a representative sample of music that's -out there- ;^)
  • I hate the drivers in NYC and New Jersey. Especially the taxis.
  • I think suckful drivers are a global thing. We certainly have our share in my little town. I'd like to hear of a place somewhere that has only good, patient, rational drivers. I might even move there.
  • Want a place with great drivers? Germany is a pretty good one. Granted, it's not perfect. But the fact that it costs a few thousand dollars to take the driving test, even if you fail, helps weed out the sucky drivers. It also helps that the test is freaking hard as all hell. Also, most places can be gotten to using public transportation or scooters and such. So the people who drive are people who need to drive and are good at it.
  • edited February 2006
    Most European countries have crazy driving rules...the Périphérique through Paris is like being in the Monte Carlo! (I think it's called the Périphérique anyway, It's the main road you follow to go right through Paris.)

What do you guys think about roundabouts anyway? Is it true all American drivers are afraid of them? (j/k). :)
    Post edited by zee-zaz on
  • From my limited driving experience, I don't see what the big deal is with roundabouts.

I don't think Americans are afraid of them, per se, but they simply have no idea how to navigate them.
  • Do you mean roundabouts as in traffic circles? Or do you mean roundabouts like New Jersy jughandles? Traffic circles are fine by me, it just causes a slight hesitation in all drivers before they decide to enter the circle. Once you get in, it's all good. As for jughandles, I'm not a fan of turning right in order to turn left.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2006
    In my opinion, roundabouts are a wonderful solution to certain kinds of congestion problems in certain types of intersections. They're not the best solution, to be sure, but they have the significant benefit of being able to be retrofitted to an existing traffic pattern with minimal impact on the surrounding easements.

I prefer divided highways with turnabouts in the medians, but these types of roads have their own problems and, more importantly, cannot be easily installed where roads already exist.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm dredging up this old topic because I'm really, really, really pissed off. We've been having some much needed rain here. For those of you who don't know I live in South Australia and we are in the middle of a great big drought. Perhaps people have forgotten to drive in the rain, either that or everyone in Adelaide is TRYING TO KILL ME!

Here are some guidelines for driving in the rain:
    1) The roads are more slippery when it is raining. It takes people longer to stop. This means DON'T CUT PEOPLE OFF IN THE RAIN YOU ARSEHOLE!
    2) Visibility is decreased when it is raining. The sky is darker, sometimes there is fog. Somewhere in your car is a switch that turns those big lights on the front of your car on. Use it. Let me repeat myself FUCKING USE IT! Especially if you have a grey car and you are planning on being a dickhead on the road.

Thank you.
  • While more riding than driving, I made a 330 Kilometre trip in two hours and fifteen minutes on my mate's hayabusa.
  • talking about roundabouts...

I have a choice to make in half a year, do I want a new awesome computer, or do I want a drivers license? (for my birthday)

If I pick the computer, I don't have a license. It might take a while before I get it... however, I rarely use the car, and I have no need for it...
    (only saying it because it's somewhat related)
  • I have a choice to make in half a year, do I want a new awesome computer, or do I want a drivers license? (for my birthday)
    Congratulations, you must live in one of those countries where driver's licences actually cost money. This is both awesome and sucky. Sucky for you because you have to make this decision. Awesome for your country because it does keep some, but not all, idiots off the road.
  • In Queensland, Australia, You're looking at $45 just to get a your Provisional licence, though the cost is the same to get your open licence.

That's just for the actual licence, though - To actualy do the test, most people do it in their driving instructor's car, which is usualy an extra hundred bucks, along with the cost of the test, plus the $30 booking fee, that is non-refundable if you cancel your booking before the test.

Lastly - you have to renew your licence reasonably often, but the price varies, depending on if you want to get it renewed for one year, three years, or five years.
  • I do wish the US had stricter drivers tests. I know it is a pain not to pass but some people really shouldn't be on the road. Since my family lives in northern California and I live in southern California, I get two different kinds of driving experiences.

My family is in a rural area. Thus, drivers take on the curvy back-roads at break neck speeds. Our highway has such a high death rate that the police cracked down on speeders a few months ago.

At school I don't drive so much as take public transit--what little there is in Los Angeles. But I must say, Wilshire Blvd. is a death trap. In much of Los Angeles there are no left turn signals, so those who need to make left turns are incredibly aggressive. So, when innocent little me crosses the street one day to visit my sick grandmother--hand on heart, true story--some idiot takes me out while trying to make a left turn. Not that I know the full details. I only know what the police report says since I didn't see the car coming and was knocked unconscious.
  • I had no idea that it was that cheap to get to drive a car...

The total cost here is about $2500, depending on how fast you learn. That's a pretty cool computer right there.
    Also you can't drive your own car on your exam. renewing the licenses is the same though.

(btw, I live in the Netherlands)