This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MMOGs: What's the deal?

edited February 2006 in Video Games
Having dipped my toes into several online roleplaying games recently, I'm wondering what other people make of them.

World of Warcraft has come across as mostly dull grind, peppered with the occasional moment of brilliance (player-driven emergent behaviour, mostly), but it is, essentially, an expensive chat service.

EVE online is vast, intimidating, obscenely detailed, and probably the most tempting online game I've come across due to the fact that most of the interesting events in the game are directly controlled by players. That, and the ability to screw people over with impugnity has me seriously contemplating a subscription.

A Tale in the Desert: What a dump. Not only were there hardly any players (rendering 90% of the game unplayable), but because I made a second character, apparently against the terms of use, they threw my main character in 'jail', and I had to wait until a GM found time to chat with me. He then explained the situation, telling me it was 'theft' and that I could be in 'legal trouble' (ooh, I'm shaking!). That said, we did come to an understanding, and as compensation for wasting my time he promised to add an extra 12 hours on my account, which never materialized. Utility -> Account -> Delete followed soon after.

Anyway, what experiences have you people had with these types of games? Are there any good ones out there that aren't a) populated by smacktard wannabees, b) huge time wasters or c) just poorly run?

Comments

• edited February 2006
    So far there does not exist a single MMORPG that I consider to not suck. EVE and Desert are definitely steps in the right direction, but they still have the problem where the people who play the most do the best.

Puzzle Pirates is a game I played since beta, but stopped playing over a year ago. There was a special deal for beta testers that we got 2 years of play for $50. I played it more in those two years than I play most $50 GameCube games. I liked it because it was really a game about puzzle skill and social interaction in pirate crews. The problem is people started to take the politics too seriously and scarily. All I want iss a happy pirate puzzle game. I'd reccomend playing the demo for free, but it's just not worth what they charge.

When I MUDed back in the day I played crappy Diku MUDs mostly. Everquest is a Diku MUD with graphics, go look it up. But eventually I came across one MUD named Achaea. I played the MUD for 5 minutes and realized it was the MUD to end all MUDs. It is perhaps the perfection of online role playing. It might not even be a MUD, but a MOO or MUSH I dont' know. I stopped after 5 minutes and saved myself a few years of my life. I recommend experiencing it to know it's greatness, then abandon it to avoid eternal addiction.

I wrote three entries in my blog a long time ago about MMOs. Keep in mind they might be poorly written since they are so old. The one you want to read is this one. It described the idea for an MMO that I came up with, and hope to one day create. I believe that this is truly the concept for an MMO that doesn't suck. Tell me what you think.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2006
    It sounds like your game design is a mix of Fallout, Metal Gear, Jagged Alliance and Burntime, but with more robots. Which is a good thing.

The only issues I see are:
    1. Technical- MMOs are among the most obscenely complex systems in all of existence, ever. Seriously. I've seen at least 40 WoW servers crash over the past week alone, and those guys are at the top of their game, so to speak. Your game, with its positronic-brain-needing requirements, will die like clockwork, probably on the hour. I predict it will become the gold standard for precision timekeeping.

2. Social- from my experience, the players who go really deep into MMOs are only there so they can show off their level 60 Gnome Baker\Barbarian to all their online buddies. Thus, the lack of stats or skills will leave the WoW crowd out in the cold. The only people who will truly apreche-ate the game will be the people with no time to play it. Like me.

3. Cost- to make a game this good, it would take a metric assload of money to make. And quite frankly, if I had enough money to make it, I'd probably just by a yacht and fill it with hookers and blackjack.

If none of the above was an issue, what we really need is the Burning Wheel of online games. Player driven missions, customisable environments, accurate physics, realistic economy. While we're on a flight of fancy, put the real world into a computer. Then fuck with it a bit. There's your ultimate game...
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Yeah, Burning Wheel of online games... Let me think on that. We just got the books yesterday.
  • I think mmorpgs are great for long distance relationships. I play WoW with my boyfriend and I find it quite fun to do quests with him.

Outside of that I find it a bit boring.
  • MMOs are all about the social interaction. Otherwise, they're fairly dull games. The only redeeming feature of my WoW experience is that I've been in a really supportive guild since day one. In fact, I signed the guild's charter without really knowing what I was doing. They asked, I signed. I lucked into that one.
  • I've played a fair number of MMO's in my time, but never of my own initiative. Essentially, it was just something else to do with my friends and my brother, who happens to live a good distance away from me.

Basically, if you're trying to play an MMO on the merits of the game itself, something's wrong.

Of course, D&D Online sounds as though they're trying to incorporate actual elements of gameplay into it, so I'll see how that is.
  • edited March 2006
    I just read a link from Steve Jackson's Daily Illuminator that pretty much sums up what is wrong with MMORPGs:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/02/24/what-are-the-lessons-of-mmorpgs-today/
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • I've played WoW since retail, and Everquest before that, and I still play it today and have fun. MMO's to me some of the best Co op games I've played where you and some friends go into a dungeon and kill some stuff to get a shiny item. It's not a major factor but having a good guild of friends and having Teamspeak or Ventrillo makes the game almost infinitly better.

The games are NOT perfect by any means and they really kinda suck if you try to solo your way through a game. Finding a good guild is freaking hard but if you do you'll have a great time.
  • MMOs feel like they are great because they reward nothing. That is you play them and you get constant rewards for performing tedious and meaningless tasks that require no skill. It's like a drug in that you get lots of good feelings with no effort. I prefer to play games that aren't designed by psychologists.

Yes, Blizzard hired psychologists to design WoW.
  • edited March 2006
    The idea of a massively multiplayer online game is awesome to me. However, they all suck. If there was an MMO that actually required skill, I might think about playing it. The only people that are "good" at the game have been playing 24/7 since the game came out. To me, MMOs feel like work, which is the last type of game I want to play. I'm more of an action game kinda guy.

EDIT: I'd play the punk kids versus the old man MMO. Fun.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • My favourite is...

http://pong.flash-gear.com/

massively multiplayer pong.

You are assigned to a team (look at the bottom) and it works out where the paddle goes to based on an algorithm that's performed on the location of everybody's paddles.

It rocks, possible TOtD material, if I may say so myself.
  • http://www.onrpg.com/

This seems to have tons of Free MMORPG games of various types..

Was thinking of trying a few of them out. but haven't got around to it yet...

They have a tons of free MMORPGS....

(probably will be trying out D&D online when I get a new computer in the next couple days.)
  • Oh, I forgot about MMO Pong! That was on Digg a while ago. That's an interesting tech demo, but not really fun to play.
  • I'm into Planetside right now, tho I don't have too much time to play. It's great *IF* you haev a large group of people you play with. Playing alone is frusteratng at the very least.

I'm also waiting for Darkfall Online to come out, it looks promising.
  • oh yea, if anyone is actually going to try out the D&D online game. Let me know. AFter this week I'll have a computer that can actually play it. (have you seen the system requirements they are insane) and from the reviews the game seems fun if you have people you know and trust that will play it with you.

let me know,
  • Have fun clicking repeatedly to get levels. I'll be here playing progress quest. Leveling in my sleep!
  • Someone is a troll, in his own forums ^_^

D&D online apparently has more skill in it then just clicking on the badguy apparently. However I am not quite clear and will find out when I buy it..
  • Actually I'm really playing progress quest.

Level 46 Enchanted Motorcycle Ur-Paladin baby!
  • He's not kidding... Him and the Whaleshark are battling it out.

Honestly, I can't stand MMOs. They're just a grind plus a social group. I can get the socializing anywhere I want (the real world, for example ^_~), and I get enough grinding in my job.
  • edited March 2006
    D&D Online is an action MMO, actually; there's no autoattacking or anything like that. You have to move around, evade attacks and whatnot, and use skills and special attacks at the right time. Basically, they defied MMO conventions by actually making a GAME, rather than a chat room with pretty graphics.

This comes at two expenses: the social aspect of the game, and scope of game. All of the mission content in the game is instanced, which is both a good and bad thing. It's a good thing because it removes all the typical MMO asshattery: camping, ninja looting, killstealing, random PvP asshats, etc. However, SINCE it's all instanced, you'll only have your own group and the enemies, so social interaction is greatly hampered.

Now, that wouldn't be a problem, if there were anything more to the game BESIDES missions at the moment. Basically, your group goes from the main city (the only place where you encounter other players) to instance dungeons for a mission and back again. There's no wilderness to explore or anything, so the MMO aspect is totally shot. This can be fixed, nominally, by adding more content, but if everything remains instanced besides the city, the game will not be able to have any decent level of social interaction. It's a good thing to do with people you already know, I suppose.

I do have to emphasize that the "game" aspect looks pretty interesting, or at least as interesting as any 3rd-person action game. It's certainly a step in the right direction for making an MMO into a game, and a step backwards for social interaction.

EDIT: Level 47 Half-Orc Ur-Paladin. I'd be higher level, but the latest nerf hit me pretty hard.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited March 2006
    I recently found out about this: Face of Mankind

It's a First Person Sooter MMOG. There are very few out there, according to wikipedia (Wiki1 Wiki2). The game is in its 2nd beta release, I believe. I downloaded it and played it for a few hours. It being the first MMOG I have played, I was very confused. Eventually I figured out what to do, and what not to do (DO NOT BUY A CLONE IN THE TUTORIAL), and started roaming around the many cities. I got my ass shot so many times.

In terms of an FPS, its not too good. Headshots do little damage; the lag makes it hard to aim; close range pistol battles are annoying and take LOTS of ammo; and the actual aiming is slow.

I have, mind you, only played this for a short while. I could just be bitching cause I suck. Either way I DO like it and will continue to play it for a while to see if it really is any good. You should check it out if your looking for something new in the MMORPG world. (Or I assume it's new. If not, still try it.)
    Post edited by frostbitten_panda on