This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Worst dub ever

edited December 2006 in Movies
I think the worst dub I ever heard for a major motion picture has to be "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"

The dubbing was so bad (I think one of the characters said "awesome") that ten minutes in I stopped the DVD, turned on the original Mandarin audio track, turned on the subtitles and started the movie over again.

Every now and then I would flip audio just for a good laugh.

Comments

• Take a bad show, dub it with bad actors, and then fill the localized script with sexually suggestive phrases. Then you've got Kaleido Star. My friends and I watch it on TV because the show is so bad to begin with, it just ends up hilarious.
  • Wow, I didn't even know CTHD had a dub. I watched it in a mainstream movie theater, and it was subtitled. The dub must have just been so bad that even normal people couldn't stand it.
  • Most Bruce Lee movies (or Asian Kung-Fu movies in general) are dubbed horribly, but that's been said already.
  • Wow, I didn't even know CTHD had a dub. I watched it in a mainstream movie theater, and it was subtitled. The dub must have just been so bad that even normal people couldn't stand it.
    They showed the dub where I live...lucky!
  • If there is a subtitle track, I will always turn off the dub. Always.
  • Wow. That's supposed to be Nausicca?!
  • I think Manos is the worst dub
    Hands of Fate?
  • Defenders of the Universe
    Hands of Fate?
    The MST3K movie?
    Hands of Fate?
    The MST3K movie?
    Yes that movie. It is technically a dub, since it was filmed without sound, and then re-dubbed over by the director, his wife, and their dog.
  • I hearby rechristen this thread as the "Worst Anime Ever" thread. The worst anime I have ever seen would have be to GANTZ. Oh my god , did I really hate that anime so much. Imo, it is nothing more than just a vehicle for ultra-violence and graphic nudity with such a shallow and uninspired plot.
  • No one gave you that right. Anyways, I think the worst dub ever is the "Sonic the Hedgehog" movie. It was released by ADV and Tails' voice grates on my nerves like nothing else. On top of that, I think Steve Urkle did the voice for Sonic. YEGH!
  • On top of that, I think Steve Urkle did the voice for Sonic. YEGH!
    For realz? lawl
  • When Disney's Aladdin came out on VHS, a german consumer protection agency warned of bootlegged copies of that product in which the dub consisted of a single person reading the script very monotonously.
  • I think the 4Kids dub of One Piece was awful. Trust me, you have no idea.
    But yeah, that Sonic the Hedgehog movie was terribly dubbed. We watched the dub in Anime club for the lulz because I had seen it several times before and we had nothing else to do.
  • I think the 4Kids dub of One Piece was awful. Trust me, you have no idea.
    There was a YouTube video making fun of this :)
  • Oh, and Escaflowne on Fox. Jesus fucking christ.
  • When Disney's Aladdin came out on VHS, a german consumer protection agency warned of bootlegged copies of that product in which the dub consisted of a single person reading the script very monotonously.
    Was that 'warning' an attempt to prevent more sales or just result in more?
  • edited June 2009
    I hearby rechristen this thread as the"Worst Anime Ever"thread.
    Legend of Lemnear. Game over.
    Post edited by Jason on
    QFT. I was so excited when I heard they were bringing Escaflowne to Fox. I thought to myself, "Yes! Finally, the world can now experience the awesomeness of Escaflowne!" Then I watched the first episode dubbed. My hopes and dreams were crushed.
  • edited June 2009
    When Disney's Aladdin came out on VHS, a german consumer protection agency warned of bootlegged copies of that product in which the dub consisted of a single person reading the script very monotonously.
    Was that 'warning' an attempt to prevent more sales or just result in more?
    Dunno. It was 15 years ago. I only remember because it was quite strange to have the same "actor" read every single character.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited June 2009
    Gasaraki had a pretty good dub. However, there was one scene where the main character Yushiro, gets off of a boat and has a brief conversation with a sailor. The sailor is a throw-away character who is only in the show for like, two seconds. That one throwaway character had, arguably, the worst dub in the history of all anime in English.

What makes it so sad is the guy only had one or two short lines. You would think that with only those lines, you would be able to at least do a good enough job that nobody would notice. The lines are delivered so poorly that what should be a quick throw-away scene stands out like a sore thumb.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The lines are delivered so poorly that what should be a quick throw-away scene stands out like a sore thumb.
    We need to rip that scene for a clip panel on good and bad dubs. ^_~ Maybe for the 2010 con season.
  • On top of that, I think Steve Urkle did the voice for Sonic. YEGH!
    For realz? lawl
    I thought everyone knew that by now? I guess I'm wrong then...
  • The absolute worst dub is, in my opinion, the Crest of the Stars dub. It would have been a pretty bad dub to begin with, but compounded with the fact that CoTS is very dialogue heavy, you get a very inferior product. It's like if someone had dubbed Legend of Galactic Heroes or a Mamoru Oshii film poorly.
  • The worst dub ever is Stalingrad. It takes one of the greatest war films ever made and almost singlehandedly destroys it by making all the characters sound like idiots.
    Is that dub diffrent from the one on the DVD's or is it just heavily edited?