This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Thursday Show Ideas

Comments

• Rym and Scott often ask for Thursday Show Ideas. The subject matter doesn't really fit under "Show Reminders". Does anyone besides me want this topic made "sticky"?
  • I want to but I can also write my idea on the "sticky" thread
  • Antitrust laws.
  • I was thinking a thursday show talking about strange/interesting foods you guys have eaten. Anything to keep you guys from talking about your nuts.
  • Star Wars and Star Trek seem to be obvious topics, or a general non anime movie show.
  • After reading hungryjoe's post about old toys I think the dynamic duo should do a show on toys from their childhood!
  • After reading hungryjoe's post about old toys I think the dynamic duo should do a show on toys from their childhood!
    I think we did.
    I think we did.
    Then do one on the cool toys from my and Joe's childhood!
    I think we did.
    Give me one, so I can play with it.
  • I I would send you guys my Light Saber but it is just to darn expensive :P
    Yeah I am an ass. However, I would not mind sending you guys my extra copy of Giant Robo :P , I am always ready to spread the Giant Robo love :D
    Yeah I am an ass. However, I would not mind sending you guys my extra copy of Giant Robo :P , I am always ready to spread the Giant Robo love :D
    We have Giant Robo. Rym bought the Eyeball at the last Otakon for cheap.
    So, you guys really do have the ultimate eye.
    How sturdy is that eye anyways?
    But, I digress a good idea for a Thursday show would be advice people when it is good to get stuff as soon as it is release and when it is good to wait. For example: Phoenix, I am one of those guys that discovered Phoenix thanks to AWO. However, I saw all the volumes on my local comic store about a year ago and now I kick myself in the head every time I see myself with the missing 1,3 and 7 volumes of Phoenix. Did you know that one of them is going for 160 dollars in amazon? It is crazy.
    So, you guys really do have the ultimate eye.
    How sturdy is that eye anyways?
    But, I digress a good idea for a Thursday show would be advice people when it is good to get stuff as soon as it is release and when it is good to wait. For example: Phoenix, I am one of those guys that discovered Phoenix thanks to AWO. However, I saw all the volumes on my local comic store about a year ago and now I kick myself in the head every time I see myself with the missing 1,3 and 7 volumes of Phoenix. Did you know that one of them is going for 160 dollars in amazon? It is crazy.
    The eyeball is a plastic eyeball. It's not so fragile that it will shatter easily, but it's not exactly made of Nintendo plastic either. Really, you are better off getting the brick than the eyeball.

I just checked Amazon, and every volume of Phoenix is available to buy new except for Volume 1. If you want 3 and 7, go buy them now. As for Volume 1, it is hard to find, but not impossible. If anyone pays $160 for it, they are a tool. I will keep an eye out for it, and pick up copies when I see them if people are having a hard time. It's not like we're trying to get copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 here people.
  • edited April 2007
    You see, I already tried Amazon, and waited, and waited, and they just keep delaying them. So, I decided to take matters onto my own hands and keep looking for them every time I have a chance. However, I will also appreciate your help :D
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Wow. Phoenix is stupidly easy to buy online.

http://www.animecastle.com/c-18536-phoenix-graphic-novels.aspx
    http://www.superbookdeals.com/cgi-bin/moreinfo.cgi?item=2557596&SEO;_TID=2202481&seoid;=5
    http://www.buysomebooks.com/store/9781569318683&refer;=googlebase
    https://secure13.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dreamland&BusType;=BtoC&Count1;=710674464&Count2;=627814888&ProductID;=10070&Target;=products.asp

Hint to anyone out there looking for hard to find manga. If Amazon doesn't have it, you have to check the websites of anime retailers and local comic book stores. Also, Google is your friend.
    My local library has Phoenix. I don't see how anyone can not find it.
  • edited April 2007
    Wow. Phoenix is stupidly easy to buy online.

http://www.animecastle.com/c-18536-phoenix-graphic-novels.aspx
    http://www.superbookdeals.com/cgi-bin/moreinfo.cgi?item=2557596&SEO;_TID=2202481&seoid;=5
    http://www.buysomebooks.com/store/9781569318683&refer;=googlebase
    https://secure13.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dreamland&BusType;=BtoC&Count1;=710674464&Count2;=627814888&ProductID;=10070&Target;=products.asp

Hint to anyone out there looking for hard to find manga. If Amazon doesn't have it, you have to check the websites of anime retailers and local comic book stores. Also, Google is your friend.
    Mylocal libraryhas Phoenix. I don't see how anyone cannotfind it.
    Well, it is easy to find them on the library the hard thing is to own them.

Thank you Scott, I finally got Vol 3 and 7 :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited April 2007
    Thursday show idea:
    How about a "how not to suck at cooking?"

Start off simple, with a grilled cheese. Then maybe spice it up with a deluxe grilled cheese. Anyone can make a grilled cheese. I knew this retarded kid when I was in boy scouts that made an awesome grilled cheese.

Damn, now I'm going to have to go make one.

Or four.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • How about doing a show on the whole "carbonated beverages hurt me" thing?

What about a show on landing tech jobs and what sort of salary you should request and/or expect?
  • edited May 2007
    After reading hungryjoe's post about old toys I think the dynamic duo should do a show on toys from their childhood!
    I think we did.
    Give me one, so I can play with it.
    Did you have Weebles? I'm surprised that I haven't heard of a geek following of Weebles, or Stomper trucks, or K'nex, or Lincoln Logs, or Tinker Toys, or Battle Beasts. How about lawn darts? Or Ding-a-Ling robots? How about Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars?

I actually worked in a toy store when I was younger. Whenever I had to stock girl's toys, I couldn't stop wondering how anyone could think they were fun. I remember this one thing in particular: it was a room (not a house, just a room) that had a bunch of furniture. The idea was that the kid would rearrange the furniture. Would anyone actually play with such a thing?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • For once, I agree with Joe. I vote for another "toys of our youth" Thursday show. There are so many things left uncovered in last summer's episode! Battle Beasts were the win. Lincoln Logs? LINCOLN LOGS? WTF, JOE?
  • Of course I had Lincoln Logs. I even had Matt Mason, Ker-plunk, and King Ding.
  • edited May 2007
    Did you have Crossfire? How about Captain Power? I had a whole bunch of Robotech toys like this, but I didn't know it was a Japanese cartoon. There was a cartoon on television that I watched sometimes, but I didn't know it was any different than MASK, which I also had (Rym talked about MASK last year). It was just another cartoon, in my book.

Did anyone else have the Cobra SR-71 Blackbird look-alike?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • By the time all that stuff had come out, I was much more interested in beer.

Now I no longer have the beer, so I'm starting to make plans to start a second childhood.
  • Ahh, beer: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
  • Ahh, beer: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
    Replace Scott with Pete and do an episode on Beer.
  • eplace Scott with Pete and do an episode on Beer.
    I enjoy certain kinds of beer: light Asian beer (or Red Stripe), or thick, black, evil beer. I like nothing else. I generally prefer liquor or wine to beer, and I'm much more likely to have an afternoon cocktail than a beer after work.
  • edited May 2007
    I never really liked mixed drinks or wine, with the possible exception of Long Island Iced Tea. I was beer all the way.

OMG! Did anyone have a Johnny Reb Cannon? That was the best damn toy of all! The cannon worked like a big spring-loaded dart gun. You would use the ramrod to load up the ball against the spring. It had a wicked muzzle velocity.

Did anyone have that awful balloon in a tube deal where you would squeeze out a hideous petrochemical smelling glob of goo onto a piece of cardboard, form it up into a ball on one end of a straw, and then blow it up into a balloon? I'm sure that couldn't have been healthy.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I never really liked mixed drinks or wine, with the possible exception of Long Island Iced Tea. I was beer all the way.

OMG! Did anyone have aJohnny Reb Cannon?That was the best damn toy of all! The cannon worked like a big spring-loaded dart gun. You would use the ramrod to load up the ball againt the spring. It had a wicked muzzle velocity.

Did anyone have that awful balloon in a tube deal where you would squeeze out a hideous petrochemical smelling glob of goo onto a piece of cardboard, form it up into a ball on one end of a straw, and then blow it up into a balloon? I'm sure that couldn't have been healthy.
    I had that. I remember it smelling really funny, and glowing.

• Did anyone have that awful balloon in a tube deal where you would squeeze out a hideous petrochemical smelling glob of goo onto a piece of cardboard, form it up into a ball on one end of a straw, and then blow it up into a balloon? I'm sure that couldn't have been healthy.
    I've gotten those things at parties in goody bags or whatnot. They definitely do smell like ultra-poison chemical. Pretty useless toy if you ask me.