This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ideas on Role Playing for beginner?

edited January 2007 in Role Playing Games
Any thoughts on how to try a role playing game for a total newbie?

I live in a very rural area, and there just aren't stores, etc. where I could meet other role-players. Besides, I'd like to try it out without getting involved in a serious group.

I saw this intriguing RPG:
1 on 1 Adventure: Gambler's Quest
It's specifically designed for 1 GM and 1 PC. I could try this with a friend to see what we think.
My only concern is that we'd both be sitting there completely lost. It says that it's for a Level 2-4 Rogue. I don't know anything about how to make characters, levels, etc. Would we be in over our heads?

How does one try an RPG without sitting at a table with creepy people wearing black trenchcoats?

Comments

• The trick to role-playing without scary people is to not play scary RPGs. If you play D+D you will get high school nerds. If you play Whitewolf, you will get scary people in black coats. If you try to get normal people to play Prime Time Adventures, InSpectres or Dogs in the Vineyard, they won't even associated it with RPGs like D+D. Another good strategy is to get people to play some games which are not RPGs, but can have a slight amount of role-playing incorporated. Some non-RPGs lend themselves well to some role-playing. Shadows over Camelot comes to mind. Illuminati also has some RP potential. If you try to RP in a non-RP game you can see which other players catch on and which just keep playing the normal game. Now you can take those people and ease them into some straight-up RPGs.

Of course, never underestimate the power of gaming conventions. Lastly, even if you are in the most rural of areas, there are people there. Trust me. Use the power of Google and teh Intarwebs to the fullest and you will find some people. Even if they look a little bit scary, take the time to talk to them for a few minutes. Most of them will probably be scary, and you'll never speak to them again. However, there will probably be one or two that aren't as scary as they look. Either way, you won't know unless you try.
  • edited January 2007
    Why not try out "Once Upon a Time"?

It is a story-telling game that is a good way to see if someone would be insterested in RPing.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks - I just ordered "Once Upon a Time."

Of course my wife will roll her eyes since I already have a stack of unplayed games (Attika, Metro, Railroad Tycoon, Memoir '44, San Juan), but I think she'll like this one.

The bummer is that my wife likes to play her favorites. You have to catch her at the right moment in order to introduce a new game. I think, though, that she will really like this game. She's very creative, and is a good storyteller.

Is there any sort of RPG truly designed for newbies? Something that walks you through a simple game - from character creation on up?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • What genre of RPG are you looking at?
  • Honestly, I'm not wed to any one genre.

That being said, I'd rather not have something that's too "out there" theme-wise. I'd like it to be something that I can relate to - especially if it's going to be my first attempt at an RPG. Standard Fantasy themes, hard sci-fi, etc are all good.

I'm not into horror or goth.