This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burden Of Proof...On God?

1234568»

Comments

• You are putting words into my mouth here. I do not condone exploitative religion, but I also think that people have the right to be stupid. Moreover, people have access to information that would tell them that these "preachers" are hoaxes, yet they would rather live in the delusion than face a truth that they cannot intellectually and emotionally handle. Furthermore, if my friend was buying into such absurdity, I would obviously point out that it was absurd. As it is, the friends that I do have who subscribe to a faith are not likely to fall for such ploys. Their faith is based on their own, personal relationship with god. While I don't understand their thinking, if it makes them happy without harming them or others, nor impeding them from intelligent choices or enjoyable conversation, why would I write them off?
  • Their faith is based on their own, personal relationship with god. While I don't understand their thinking, if it makes them happy without harming them or others, nor impeding them from intelligent choices or enjoyable conversation, why would I write them off?
    I can't take someone seriously who actually, really, honestly believes in the invisible deity from an old desert death cult.  The sheer intellectual laziness that takes is profoundly disturbing to me.
  • edited July 2007
    I know that many people rely on their faith to get them through difficult times, to enrich their joy, to give them comfort.
    What better time to take advantage of someone than when they are down on the ground and broken. Here is just a sample of why religion is a virus. These people don't know any better and most of them don't think logically, especially when it deals with their faith. If you had a friend who believed that if they drank a teaspoon of motor oil every day that they would be cured of (insert disease), would you let them? Or would you try to help them? What if it was part of their religion and that it gave them comfort, would you still do it? Look at the Christian Scientists who don't inoculate their children because it is against their religion, the parents are not charged with child abuse because it is a religious practice. While I think people should be allowed to believe what they want, sometimes people will take advantage of them when they don't know any better.
    HA HA HA HA HA! I almost shit myself laughing when I read the Tags in the first video.
    Post edited by Zeehat on