This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It really is about oil: The Resource Wars have begun

edited January 2007 in Politics
This speaks for itself: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2132569.ece .

This has been a straight up resource war. Except for all the lying to convince us it was necessary.

Comments

• Supporters say the provision allowing oil companies to take up to 75 per cent of the profits will last until they have recouped initial drilling costs. After that, they would collect about 20 per cent of all profits, according to industry sources in Iraq. But that is twice the industry average for such deals.
    Hmmm... nope, still not about oil.

I don't know why so many people jump all over American oil companies. There is no more Standard Oil. A vast majority of the oil in the world is controlled by nations and not oil companies.

So they get to keep 20% rather than 10% of the profits... big deal! Do you know how much profit banks make every year on money that is borrowed from your bank account? How much does Visa make every year in profits as a percentage?

The only reason "Big" oil is seen to make huge profits is because they are so huge! If you make ten cents on every dollar of sales you are making a 10% profit. So, why is making $10B off of sales of $100B so wrong?
  • edited January 2007
    The oil in Iraq was controlled by a nation. Specifically, the nation of Iraq since 1972. Now the oil will be collected and sold by American companies.

Initial condition: Iraq owns its oil. American companies own 0% of that oil.
    Final condition: American companies own 75% of that oil until they "recoup" costs. How long will that take? I think the companies will be in charge of defining when they recoup their costs. They own double what companies usually own after that.

Sounds like a takeover to me.

Your argument about Visa is irrelevant.

As for profit, the point is not that they will make a profit. The point is they owned nothing before. Now they will own at the least double the industry average. They have gained assets. How did they gain those assets? Through a war for resources.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited January 2007
    The current oil infrastructure in Iraq is terrible. Iran has a similar problem.

When a government runs the entire operation you have far more corruption and waste than when a government watches over a private company doing the same work. Sort of the "takes a thief" mentality at work.

The Iraq government will want their fair cut of the oil money and they WILL get it. I do not think they will tolerate an American oil company cooking the books to avoid paying money.

This is not that big of a deal and profit is not a bad thing!

Do you have an alternate (and realistic) plan for Iraq to upgrade it's oil infrastructure?

Also, you say that Iraq owned 100% of it's oil money in the past... Are you trying to tell me that the oil money was given to every Iraqi? Are you saying the revenue was used for the "good of the people"??? Ever hear of the Iraq/UN oil for food scandal? Where do you think Saddam got the money to build palaces all over the country with gold plated bath fixtures?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Is that what this was about then? They didn't run their oil business efficiently? Private companies ALWAYS do it better and are NEVER corrupt? Billions of dollars have been LOST in Iraq. http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.audit/ . Is that not corrupt?

Iraq won't tolerate what? What can they do?

I agree that profit is not a bad thing. Stealing a country's resources through war is a bad thing.

I don't have a plan for Iraq to upgrade it's infrastructure. Mainly because it's supposed to be THEIRS. I'm sure Scrym doesn't have a plan to change the power steering fluid in my car. Why would he? It's mine.

Owayt - Iran has the same problem, you say? Are they next then?
  • Iran's problem is that of degrading oil drilling and refining machinery. There output has been dropping because of this and if they do not invest (well they can't due to some sanctions) in the oil industry they will be in serious financial trouble! -> Article

If the war was over oil then the American companies would be claiming the 75% rate for ever!
  • edited January 2007
    They will be in serious financial trouble?

Me: Scott, please pay my Visa bill.
    Scott: Why, whatever for?
    Me: If you don't, I will be in serious financial trouble
    Scott: HA HA. You can die in a fire, because I don't care.

Similarly, who cares if Iraq would be in trouble? It's their trouble. Any deleterious affect we might have felt would have been better mitigated through aid, diplomacy, or some such.

As for the companies claiming 75% forever - they get to say when they "recoup" their costs.
  • They recoup their costs once their initial investment to upgrade has been paid off.

Oil supplies matter to the entire world! One of the reasons Japan jumped into WW2 was because we were getting ready to cut off their oil and scrap metal shipments!

No man is an island! Are you so naive as to think otherwise?
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, but they say when the initial investment has been paid. There are many ways to cook books so that it seems like the investment has not been recouped. I have heard too many stories about companies that say they're operating in the red while their CEO is making millions of dollars to trust a company to be honest about when 75% control whould end.

The 1941 U.S. embargo cut off a substantial portion of Japan's resources, crippled their economy, and threatened to cripple their military. The Japanese government viewed the embargo as an act of war. Nothing like that can be said to have happened in the U.S./Iraq situation.

Deleterious world economic effects caused by one country can be solved in more efficient ways than resource wars.

Say, why was Somalia bombed? Weren't they just beginning to become stable again? We can't let them do that! They might want to keep their oil for themselves! More oil shenanigans: http://www.alternet.org/story/46424/ and http://www.somaliawatch.org/archivejuly/000922601.htm
  • Somalia was "bombed" at the request of the Somali president. They requested aid in kicking the radical muslims out of their country.
  • edited January 2007
    Come ON! Who really believes that? I find it very hard to believe a president getting on the phone and saying, "Please bomb my country, destroy my buildings and kill my citizens."
  • I find it very hard to believe a president getting on the phone and saying, "Please bomb my country, destroy my buildings and kill my citizens."

Come ON! Who really believes that?
    9/11 conspiracy theories FTW!
  • Sail, I'm not sure I see your point. Are you suggesting that you suspect that I subscribe to 9/11 conspiracy theories? I said I find it very hard to believe a president would ask for his country to be bombed. That is, I don't think it's likely to happen either in Somalia or the U.S.
  • To reference another thread, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Joe, yours is only circumstantial in nature and smacks of LSD-induced hippy "blood for oil" anthems.
    Conspiracy theories are often essentially unfalsifiable because of their logical structure. Specifically, they may take the form of uncircumscribed existential statements, alleging the existence of some action or object without specifying the place or time at which it can be observed. So, for instance, one might claim that there are little green men without saying when or where, and furthermore that their existence is kept secret by a conspiracy. In this case, failure to find any little green men does not falsify the conspiracy theory, but rather is claimed as verification of the conspiracy to hide their existence. Such a conspiracy theory cannot be shown to be false.
    Moreover, it's implausible to suggest that a corporate core could purchase the entire voting government required to launch, wage, and cover up any such blood for oil stratagem. From a strictly math standpoint, waging the war and the public resentment over it is costing the accused more money than any profit they will see.

The oil conspiracy is also silly, considering that the oil companies have profited from both limited supply and higher demand. Introducing a new source of cheap crude would mean plummeting pump prices, which would have an adverse affect on the record profit reports we've seen in the past two years. Why would they give up this edge?

If you want to understand the real conspiracy behind Iraq, here it is: GWB was seeking to procure a lasting presidential legacy by wiping up an old foe over an existing problem that was causing the UN some headaches. He thought it was a safe target. He also believed -- and for a very brief time did, in fact -- that he had the support of both Congress and the public. But he's not so great with the foreign policy, jumped a few steps. He thought he'd be able to wrap up Iraq within a five-year span and claim success during a two-term stay in the Whitehouse, further shoring up the Republican power base.

That's when things went wrong.

In the end, the Iraq War will be remembered not as some wacky blood for oil campaign by crooked business men, but a failed political gambit piggy-backed on the new-century obsession with terrorism. Bush will be remembered as a modern Nixon, who tried to fear-monger his party's way into the hearts of America but painfully misjudged public sentiment. It was about power, not money.
  • edited January 2007
    Sail, I'm not sure I see your point. Are you suggesting that you suspect that I subscribe to 9/11 conspiracy theories? I said I find it veryhardto believe a president would ask for his country to be bombed. That is, I don't think it's likely to happen either in Somalia or the U.S.
    My point is that you said "Oh, who would believe that a government would plan to kill their own people", and I said that there are a whole bunch of wacky people who do.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The deal the companies are going to get is pretty extraordinary. Extraordinary enough to raise suspicions if not outright proof. As for the cost, oil companies have been buying the U.S. government on the installment plan for years. Bush and Cheney are so oily they bleed 10W-40. They don't have to cover up. The story was reported outside the U.S. and the people within the U.S. are too distracted to care. As for profits, please note in the article that Cheney said that the world would need an additional 50 million barrels of oil a day by 2010. "So where is the oil going to come from?... The Middle East, with two-thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies," he said.

I can tell you from experience that, in the normal course of events, this is enough probable cause (a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed and a reasonable belief that the defendant committed the crime) for an indictment.

Reliance on circumstantial evidence is not necessarily enough to cause an argument to fail. The prosecution needed to rely on circumstantial evidence in most of he criminal trials I've defended. In voir dire they usually say something along the lines of: "If you wake up in the morning and see there's snow on the ground, then you can reasonably conclude that it snowed during the night." The mere fact the the conclusion is based on circumstantial evidence does not make it false. Also, please remember we use a reasonable doubt standard of proof in criminal cases (there are even more forgiving standards in civil cases, such as "preponderance of the evidence" and "clear and convincing evidence"), not the mathematical or scientific proof we've spoken of here in this forum. Sadly, I've see many criminal defendants convicted on the basis of circumstantial evidence.

So, I think that there is probable cause to call shenanigans.

Finally, even if I can be persuaded that I am wrong, I like to cling to the belief (as some like to cling to a belief in a supernatural being) that the President is smarter than he seems. I'm actually a lot happier thinking he's a scheming bastard than being scared he doesn't know what he's doing.
  • Sail: Just so. All the wacky people, where do they all come from?
  • The deal the companies are going to get is pretty extraordinary. Extraordinary enough to raise suspicions if not outright proof.
    Joe, you are using circular reasoning to say that your suspicions are true because they are worthy of suspicion.

In addition, the fact that the world might need an additional 50m barrels per day by 2010 does not mean we do not have those resources; it means we are not producing those resources. Though it is definitely a finite resource, it is still an artificially inflated one, as oil companies make conscious decisions to limit supply in a high-demand economy to boost the prices.

You've still failed to address why any oil company would be willing to flood the market with new, cheap oil from Iraq, as it would mean falling pump prices (due to the inversely proportionate relationship between supply and demand). That is an illogical business model.
  • . . . and you tell me over and over and over again my friend that you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction. . .

No. There is nothing circular about my actual statements. I never said my suspicions were true. I said that I believe my suspicions constitue probable cause. Probable cause is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt just as proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not mathematical proof. I've seen guys spend time in jail for the same probable cause or less. For instance, I had a client once who was a chronic ne'er do well. He was in and out for a lot of petty stuff. One morning he called me and said he was in and needed me to come get him out. I went to arraignment court, found his jacket, looked at the citation, and I could see before I read it he was in big trouble - they took the time to TYPE the citation. It turned out that a guy was shot the night before. Someone said they heard a guy say that "Red" was the shooter. My guy's nickname (one of them, anyway) was "Red", so he was tracked down and arrested. He was subsequently indicted for murder. He spent a year and a half in pre-trial confinement before it turned out through further investigation that another "Red" was the shooter and the case was dismissed. To be fair, I started with a strong statement, but it still doesn't mean that I believe it's true. Suspicious yes - very, very suspicious. As in when you find one morning that the door to the chicken coop is open and there are dead chickens littering the floor you can be very suspicious that a fox got in last night.

Read the Cheney qoute again. "The Middle East, with two-thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies," he said." More suspicious still.

Just as the grand jury did not need eyewitness evidence to indict Red, I do not have to "address why any oil company would be willing to flood the market with new, cheap oil from Iraq". That sort of evidence might arise through further investigation. Personally, I don't think the new oil from Iraq would be cheap. I have a strong suspicion that the Hubert peak has been reached or will soon be reached and that new oil from Iraq would be replenishing contemporary supply level, not substantially add to them. http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1682899.htm
  • If "Red" has a history of trouble with the law
    they took the time to TYPE the citation
    Are you adding this line because they normally hand-write his citations? This information leads me to believe that "Red" being the shooter is more likely than unlikely.

Cheney's statement is true, the easiest oil to get lies in the Middle East. Not the MOST oil but the EASIEST oil to get.

As to flooding the market with cheap oil... Why would anyone want to flood the market with a product when they can get more money for it by NOT flooding the market? Have you never heard of the diamond market?

Peak oil is years and years away. Peak oil in regards to "easy to get oil" may be close at hand though. I, however, am not a geologist and not qualified to speak on that subject.
  • Also, I read the article. The man is talking about existing wells, not total supply. He is saying that existing wells are producing at capacity. That is far different from saying "the world oil supply is producing at capacity."
  • edited January 2007
    Normally, a citation was handwritten. If you could read it, you were lucky. A lot of the time, you had to wait for the first pre-trial to ask the cop to read it to you.

I said - it turned out not to be my "Red". He wasn't found not guilty. The cops actually found another guy. Also, the mere fact that a person has had problems in the past doesn't make it any more or less likely that he committed a new crime. A person's criminal history may be used to show motive, knowledge, absence of mistake and such under FRE 404(b) and KRE 404(b), but it specifically may not be used as evidence to show he committed the crime at bar.

You're making an unjustified assumption about the new oil being cheap and that the market would be flooded. Merely saying it doesn't make it so. Thus your question regarding why anyone would want to flood the market with cheap oil is pointless. Even if the question had merit - going back to the "Red" example, the commonwealth attorney wouldn't have to prove why Red shot that guy. Just that the act was done and the Red was the actor. Similarly, I don't have to answer "why" the companies do what they do. I'll agree such an answer would be nice to have, but it would most likely only arise from further investigation.

You read the article and the expert said nothing like, "He says OPEC is already producing as much as it can and new discoveries are small."? New. Discoveries. Are. Small.

Peak oil is years and years away? Okaaay. If it makes you feel better to believe that, then by all means do so.
  • Are you aware of the law of supply and demand?
  • You're also equivocating the terms "probable cause" and "motive," and using the example of a broken legal system to define logical proof. Just because a court case went one way does not mean that similar correlations can be drawn to prove non-legal arguments. As of Nov. 21, 123 death row inmates have been exonerated of their crimes. I shouldn't have to point out how this figure represents a fundamental flaw with the induction system jurors use to determine guilt. If you're going to argue oil for blood, do it with cold hard facts, not the suppositional tactics of a lawyer.
  • Jason: Explain how I equivocate the terms. I didn't even use the terms in the same post. Did I?

And what sort of arguments are to be made that crimes were and are being committed? If investigations were done and grand juries convened (please, please), the companies would find themselves dealing with the legal system.
  • I never said my suspicions were true. I said that I believe my suspicions constitue probable cause. Probable cause is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt just as proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not mathematical proof. I've seen guys spend time in jail for the same probable cause or less.http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1682899.htm
    This here is an arguement for motive, i.e. that the government had reason to invade Iraq for oil on behalf of the oil lobby and not for the stated reasons of finding WMDs and liberating a subjugated people. Probable cause, on the other hand, is information sufficient to warrant a prudent person's belief that the wanted individual had committed a crime (for an arrest warrant) or that evidence of a crime or contraband would be found in a search (for a search warrant). You have not provided that information; you have only provided motive. There are no facts, only suspicion. Suspicion does not equal probable cause. You have yet to prove any correlation between big oil and the Iraq war. Provide me cold, hard facts stating that $X were traded for X actions implicitly, and I will congratulate you, pat you on the back, and scream "I WAS WRONG" in my best Riccola voice from the nearest snowy peak.
  • I cited the abc.net article in support of a personal belief not as a probable cause argument.

Cold, hard facts are not required for probable cause. Greene v. Reeves, 80 F.3d 1101 (6th Cir. 1996) construes Kentucky law on the issue by stating, "The Supreme Court has never quantified the degree of certainty required for a determination of probable cause. The closest the Court has come to doing so was in Brinegar v. United States, 338 U.S. 160 (1949), when it commented that probable cause means something "less than evidence which would justify . . . conviction" but "more than bare suspicion." Id. at 175. The Court later commented that "probable cause determination . . . does not require the fine resolution of conflicting evidence that a reasonable-doubt or even a preponderance standard demands." Gerstein v. Pugh, 420 U.S. 103, 121 (1975)." The Court in Gerstein went on to say that "[t]here is no single preferred pretrial procedure and the nature of the probable cause determination usually will be shaped to accord with a State's pretrial procedure viewed as a whole. While we limit our holding to the precise requirement of the Fourth Amendment, we recognize the desirability of flexibility and experimentation by the States." Gerstein at 123.

I wouldn't need cold, hard facts if I could get the bastards in front of a grand jury. You're right that mere suspicion is not enough, but it's substantially more than half the battle. That plus a little argument and a grand jury would indict.

Of course, to be honest, Jim Garrett convinced a grand jury to indict Clay Shaw for the murder of JFK.

If it makes any difference, I'll amend my previous statements by saying that I am very suspicious that shenanigans ensued. How about that?
  • edited January 2007
    You're still not arguing probable cause. So far, you've only argued motive (poorly) and opportunity (which no one disputes). But you have yet to show any evidence to support your claim that the invasion of Iraq was the direct result of the oil lobby. You've painted a beautiful crime scene picture, but you haven't given me the murder weapon, the DNA, the GSR, or the witnesses. Therefore, you lose. You would never get a grand jury conviction with only circumstantial evidence. You have yet to tie my client to the accusation in any way. What's my name, bitch? Denny Crane.
    I wouldn't need cold, hard facts if I could get the bastards in front of a grand jury. You're right that mere suspicion is not enough, but it's substantially more than half the battle. That plus a little argument and a grand jury would indict.
    I don't need an indictment. Anyone can be indicted. Anybody can point fingers. You need a conviction. You stated for a certainty that oil was the cause of the war. FOR GOD'S SAKE, PROVE IT ALREADY, instead of dancing around with no evidence. But that's the one thing you don't have, and that's the defining factor in a wacko conspiracy theory. Give me a memo to White House staff from Texaco. Give me a transcript of an order to generals to take control of oil fields. Give me tapes of phone conversations that prove collusion between BP and GWB. Give me a smoking gun. But right now, you have JUST SUSPICION. That might be enough for some pathetic juror, but I'd nullify on grounds that you've not done your job as prosecutor; you've not given evidence to support the charges.

Plus, I've already introduced weasonable doubt by citing the disparity between supply and demand structures in record profit years.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited January 2007
    You would never get a grand jury conviction with only circumstantial evidence.
    *Sigh* Grand juries do not convict. They indict or return a no true bill. Regarding getting a conviction with only circumstantial evidence, please understand that many, many people are convicted on the basis of circumstantial evidence in many, many different jurisdictions every day. The mere fact that evidence is circumstantial does not render it inadmissible and further does not mean it cannot support a conviction.
  • edited January 2007
    And that is why the legal system is wrong so often. As are you in this argument, because you have not satisfied the demands for evidence to support a claim.

This guy was innocent.
    These guys were, too.
    Same here.
    Gee, here's more.
    The legal system is flawed. It cannot be used as a direct correlating proof of a logical argument. God damn, I hate repeating myself.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • What is your claim regarding the legal system? That it's flawed? I agree. That it doesn't use logic and cannot be used for proof? I don't agree. Seems like an extraordinary claim to me. Many lawyers prove many things in many differnt courts every single day and sometimes at night in night court.