This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hell has frozen over

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
This is meaningless to anybody who didn't go to RIT, but RIT has just canceled all non-essential things today. Meaning that for the first time in my 6 years that I've been at an known people at this school, they've called a snow day.

Comments

• This is meaningless to anybody who didn't go to RIT, but RIT has just canceled all non-essential things today. Meaning that for the first time in my 6 years that I've been at an known people at this school, they've called a snow day.
    Wow. I think that freshman year they canceled stuff once, but I don't remember. It is indeed an ultra-rare occurrence. Enjoy it while you can.
  • edited January 2007
    Are you sure it's not just closed for MLK Jr. Day? All our local learning institutions are off for observance today. Because, you know, he is more important than presidents. I've said too much.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Are you sure it's not just closed for MLK Jr. Day? All our local learning institutions are off for observance today. Because, you know, he is more important than presidents. I've said too much.
    I don't think you understand. RIT doesn't closer for shit. I was there on 9/11, and they didn't bat an eye. I've walked to class during ice storms where each individual leaf, twig and blade of grass had its own 2mm thick coat of ice. RIT never closes for anything.
  • Syracuse was like that too, they never canceled classes ever. We even won the National Championship in basketball and had classes the next day. We do got some holidays off here and there, but not often.
  • For those who want the exact words straight from the e-mail:

"RIT IS CLOSED TODAY DUE TO ICY CONDITIONS

RIT is closed today due to icy conditions and a predicted forecast that calls for more bad weather. All classes and campus events are canceled. Only essential personnel should report to work.

Our apologies if you did not receive this earlier. We encountered a technical issue.

Please visit the RIT homepage or University News later this evening for more information."
  • Holy shit, did the whole campus turn into a giant ice palace or something? That's the only thing that I could imagine sparking this type of closure.

And I was there on 9/11 as well. Indeed, RIT had a full day of classes. We didn't even miss a beat.
  • Man, we only had one day off because of the weather my 5 years at RIT. However we did have a half-day when the water main broke.
  • Holy shit, did the whole campus turn into a giant ice palace or something? That's the only thing that I could imagine sparking this type of closure.

And I was there on 9/11 as well. Indeed, RIT had a full day of classes. We didn't even miss a beat.
    Yeah, I remember working straight through on campus that day. The only thing different about it was people paid attention to what was on the TV's in Crossroads.

And the timing on this e-mail was great. It was sent out at 10:15 in the morning, well after a good number of people had already tried to get to campus and found nothing going on.
  • Heh... Not only did RIT not miss a beat on 9/11, but I was reprimanded for showing up late to class right after it happened.

It must have been one hell of a storm to knock RIT out. Hell, we had an anime music night DURING one of those horrible ice storms a few years ago. Didn't affect attendance one whit.

Neither rain nor sleet nor... IT'S THE FIRST ONE!
  • edited January 2007
    You might think that, check out my "Season of Winter" pics that I took earlier today depicting the weather here, here, here, and here. It's not even that bad.

Then again, I went out at noon, and the notice came in the morn. I would've liked to see how it was then, it must've been that bad to warrant the cancellation.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • Ice? Snow? What are they? It's mid January and it was 65 here in Baltimore. So that means by Otakon it will be about...oh...112 with out the heat index.
  • My Sophmore year, 1997-1998, they cancelled RIT classes for two days because of snow. Professors couldn't get to the campus, so I actually had the week off because even though school was 'on', my teachers couldn't get there.
  • Ice? Snow? What are they? It's mid January and it was 65 here in Baltimore. So that means by Otakon it will be about...oh...112 with out the heat index.
    Or the Summer will be cold.