This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The next big MMO, MMOSportsRPG??

I have to give credit to NCSoft. They're always trying new things. While some of their games are unspectacular (Dungeon Runners for example, which is too much like Diablo to call it anything else) or akin to paying $14/mo. to be kicked in the groin (Lineage II), sometimes they make a game that really has a certain je ne se qua <sp?> that makes it succeed. Guild Wars (while not a personal favorite) is doing very well with their MMO-style without the monthly fee, and City of Heroes/Villains is great for the casual gamer.

Now they're attempting massive multiplayer online....soccer. Or combat soccer...something. Anyhow, here's the link. While I'm not exactly waiting with baited breath, the theory actually makes some sense. Take the most popular sport in the world, remove rules, add RPG elements, and see if you can make some dough. I wonder how this will turn out?

http://us.soccerfury.com/main/

Comments

• Why? Why does it have to be combat soccer with skill points and special moves? Why do you need leveling up in a sports game? Why does it have to be 3 vs. 3 urban soccer? Why is there still not just a plain old soccer game, exactly like the real thing, where each player is controlled by one human. I'm tired of every sports gaming having one human control the entire team. A few console games allow 2 vs. 2 play, but that sucks even worse than 1 vs. 1.

Not every MMO needs freaking levels and skill points and customization and shit. Let me play some soccer where I'm the forward, you are the goalie, Rym is on defense, etc. That's all you need to do. I'm completely befuddled as to why this game still does not exist.
  • They should have MMO Ice Hockey.
  • They should have MMO Ice Hockey.
    OH MANS!