This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HAM Radio

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
I am currently studying to take the test for my Ham radio Technician class license. I was wondering if anyone else on here was a ham, and what they thought of it.

Comments

• I've always been intrigued by Ham radio. When I was a kid I was a short-wave radio junkie. I also knew a couple of people that had their Ham license. However, while I liked the concept, it never really appealed to me enough to take the plunge.

The biggest negative to me was the thought of sitting there talking to other people. While this sounds really cool in theory, the conversations that I did hear tended to be rather pointless. It also seemed to be one of those hobbies that many people got into, but then stalled out.

The other downside is the internet. Ham radio reached its peak when telephone calls or Telex were the only way to communicate overseas. Back then, when AT&T had a monopoly, it was an incredibly expensive proposition to make an overseas telephone call. Now we have email, Skype, etc. A lot of people have left Ham because of this. True, there is the emergency role - but that never really appealed to me. I just don't live in an area that is prone to emergencies.

The one aspect that appeals to me is chasing QSL cards. I think it's pretty cool to see how many places you can connect with, and just how far away those places are.

I respect anyone who does decide to get into Ham - and it's nice to see that the license requirements have been eased. I hope you enjoy it, and that you give us updates on your progress.
  • Will do. You're right, it does seem easy to fade out of. I'm planning on doing some weather-spotting with it. I live near a highschool stadium which looks like a great place to spot and such.
  • Before it closed for renovation, the Smithsonian American History Museum had a small Ham radio setup in the basement complete with an old dude who sat around and did Ham stuff. It was a stark verification of kilarney's assessment of the tech takeovers of areas where Ham used to be the only game in town.

That's not to say Ham wouldn't be a good hobby. I think it would be pretty cool.

Just think how ahead of the game you'd be when the zombie apocalypse comes.
  • That's true. Ham's good for all manner of emergencies. Thanks Joe, that's a good thought I shall keep in mind.
  • I've been considering getting a HAM license for years. Aside from giving you permission to do things other people can't legally do, I'd be in a prime position to continue distributing GeekNights after the nuclear holocaust, fall of general civil order, and collapse of the Internet. ^_~
  • Sounds great. Those of us geeks who have holed up in zombie-proof bunkers would need to know that there is still hope for a better tomorrow.
  • Sounds great. Those of us geeks who have holed up in zombie-proof bunkers would need to know that there is still hope for a better tomorrow.
    If you're holed up in a bunker, you aren't helping.
  • If you're holed up in a bunker, you aren't helping.
    Well, unless you have adequate supplies and a member of the opposite sex. In that case, you've just become the backup plan.
  • Just make sure you don't make the mistake of walking out the back door to take a leak...

(Does anyone know the movie reference?)
  • Just make sure you don't make the mistake of walking out the back door to take a leak...

(Does anyone know the movie reference?)
    A bunker without a toilet is pretty damn useless.
  • A bunker without a toilet is pretty damn useless.
    Or pretty damn horrible...
  • It wasn't a bunker (per se) and the character could have gone into the main portion of the building but instead he chose to go out the back door and got munched by a zombie.
  • Now that I think about it, any long-term shelter would have a method of reusing human waste.

*softball*
  • edited January 2007
    Sounds great. Those of us geeks who have holed up in zombie-proof bunkers would need to know that there is still hope for a better tomorrow.
    What good would I be, though? At best, I could simply rain down the zombie destruction for a limited time with a shotgun, and then I'd be one of thems. That's one more not coming after you if I'm in a bunker.

Well, unless you have adequate supplies and a member of the opposite sex. In that case, you've just become the backup plan.
    Of course of course *nudge nudge*. You've seen Dr. Strangelove, right?

Lol okay, so the Ham thread's kinda become the mini Zombies thread (DO THE EPISODE), huh?
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Alright, so, now I have my callsign. It is: KE5MLY. Kelo Echo 5 Mike Lima Yankee. When the zomobies strike, be listening for me. I'll be there.