This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Please help me out

edited March 2006 in Everything Else
I am in need of some sort of software that is free (or easily pirated) that can either burn videos (fansubs,etc) directly to a video DVD (which can be played in a normal player) or a program that can convert the videos into that DVD-video format that Nero can burn. (with the Video_TS folder and such)

Any suggestions? I'm using XP by the way, still haven't made the Linux leap.

Comments

• IIRC Nero can convert any kind of video to burn to a DVD. It just takes a long time to encode video no matter what software you use.
  • I was thinking about this recently, and I found this, but it's shareware. Easy, and works great though. Apollo DVD Creator
    But there's a slightly harder method that's free here: Beginners Guides: Making DVD Movies from Video Files
  • avi2dvd. I can't say that I have used this program but it does look very promising and easy to work.

buuuuuuuuut...

If your into DVD copying.... not that I'm saying you should be [<.<] ...... <a href="http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html">CloneDVD2, oh my god, this program kicks ass. It can convert a dual layer dvd video into a single 4.7G DVD compatible video which it can re-burn afterwards. This program does it all, it lets you customize what to copy and what not to. torrents
  • One thing to always be aware of. When getting free software for Windows triple check to make sure it isn't spyware, adware or any other form of malware. I'm not saying any of these programs are definitely spyware, I'm saying I don't know. Be sure you make sure before installing anything. Trust noone. Or use Linux, then no worries.
  • Well, there are still worries on Linux. I've run across dodgey "RPM Sites" in my day that I'm reasonably sure were full of rootkits...

Of course, that can all be avoided effortlessly by using proper repositories and package managers.
  • how can you check whether it is malware/spyware/alltheabove?
  • Ask google. If a program is spyware there is going to be at least one website somewhere that says "OMG Software XXX is spyware! Don't use it!"
  • there are programs out there that will scan for Malware (stuff your virus scanner won't detect) off hand I can't remember the name.. but I'm sure a google search will find you something reliable and free.
  • The two big malware removal tools are ad-aware and spybot. There is also microsoft anti-spyware. All of them work pretty well, especially if you use all of them together. The problem is that nowadays a lot of bad programs can succesfully avoid being detected by these programs, or even worse, disable these programs. Rym will tell you about the old lady who had a virus/malware that disabled all of Norton.

Really your best bet is to avoid getting malware in the first place. Before installing any software that isn't made by a big company like Adobe, Microsoft or Mozilla make sure that there are no sites yelling about it.
  • "disabled all of Norton"

How is that a bad thing?