This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advance Wars: The Board Game

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? I was thinking about it and there aren't too many problems with making an Advance Wars board game. The few things that might be a problem are the power meter and measuring distance, for moving or for long range attacks. The power meter could be calculated the same way it's done in the game, bt that would require writing down the damage done. The maps wouldn't have to be cardboard like other board games and you could even have a D&D-style (or at least to my knowledge of how D&D works) map where you create it each game OR even download small maps and print them out. Any suggestions, ideas, ambiguities?

Comments

• There are already plenty of war games in existence. One with an advance wars theme would just be redundant. The point of advance wars is that it takes all those old war games and simplifies them for the portable video game format.

Here is a site on which you will find ALL of the war games that ever existed. You'll actually find every board game, but war games are board games.
    Board Game Geek
  • Advance Wars does play out verymuch like a board game: that's one of the reasons I like it. The only difference is really that, as a video game, they were able to include computation-heavy game mechanics without forcing the players to make those computations.

If you want to play a board game that's just like Advance Wars, go to your local gaming store and find that pile of scary-looking wargames in the back corner. They'll probably be musty and at least 30 years old, but they're the basis for what Advance Wars is today.
  • I had an idea for making a simplified version, but even then, it's just too complex.

To paraphrase Rym, the nice thing is that you can have all these computation-heavy equations and stuff and not worry about any of that. No calculations or anything, it's all automatic.

Making a board game version either doesn't do AW justice, or is too complex to be fun.
  • Wow, way to necrothread, Flare.
  • edited August 2008
    ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) here we come.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • 3 words: Fog of War
  • edited August 2008
    In a slight tangent, I may get the chance to play Tide of Iron soon. Have any of you gents played this game and be willing to recommend it?
    Post edited by J.Sharp on