This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Desktop Screenshots Redux

Comments

• Haha, nice.
  • This is what I currently have:

And this is what I had before. They're both from the same artist.
  • I need that companion cube wallpaper. Hook me up.
  • I need that companion cube wallpaper. Hook me up.
    Linkage.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had it.
  • Mine.
    It's pretty messy and lame, but whatever. I like Sceb.
    edited October 2007
       Windows XP desktop        Ubuntu Linux Desktop
    imageimage

Bureaublad = Desktop. The icons are hidden on the desktop, but accessible of course through the ">>". And I only use the Ubuntu Studio skin. The standard Ubuntu human theme looks horrible!
    Post edited by ... on
  • I think one of the worst might be my current config, dual widescreens with the second screen arranged vertically and offset to the main monitor by around 50%.
    It might be time to build some yourself. When I used dual monitors I usually made my own compilations from others. I'd like a theme or interaction between the two.

The thing is, there are so many combinations of dual monitors, it just doesn't make sense provide them all. What if they aren't the same resolution?

• The thing is, there are so many combinations of dual monitors, it just doesn't make sense provide them all. What if they aren't the same resolution?
    While many monitors are different resolutions, most monitors have similar aspect ratios. A 16:9 wallpaper will work on many different widescreen monitors with different resolutions because the aspect ratio is all the same. You just use the highest resolution you can find, and tell your desktop to resize the wallpaper. Since the wallpaper is the right aspect ratio, stretching it will look perfect even though it is resized.

When you really run into problems is when you have monitors like the one on my laptop. It has a 1280x768 resolution screen, which is a very rare aspect ratio.
  • In Soviet Russia, desktop themes YOU!

• In Soviet Russia, desktop themes YOU!

O. M. G. Nice. Also, Jonathan C? Jonathan Coulton?
  • Also, Jonathan C? Jonathan Coulton?
    Wtf? Are you kidding me? -______-
  • My Desktop:
    Artwork by Emily Compton.

Alternate Desktop
  • I have 2 desktop pics I've been using recently and both of them are ripped straight from wikipedia.

Pleiades (star cluster)

New York City at night with a HDR camera

I really want a camera so I can take my own pictures that look like the second one . . .
  • edited October 2007
    My desktop:
    Whatever qualms people may have about Vista aside, it sure is pretty.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Whatever qualms people may have about Vista aside, it sure is pretty.
    Wallpaper reminds me of Place Promised in Our Early Days.
    That's what it is.
    I'm such an Eureka Seven fangirl.
  • My Desktop...
    It's Sonic the Hedgehog!!! I think it's one of the wallpapers that were on the GD-ROM for the original Sonic Adventure, btw.

And yes, that is Mac OS, be your OS preferences as they may. I like it, mainly because I don't do that much PC gaming any more really, so I don't need Windows (or a powerful computer) and there's just sooo many little convenience features...
    That's what it is.
    Aye, it is. Beautifull artwork.
    And that one looks awesome. When it's downsized. It's very fuzzy if you view it full sized.
    Wtf? Are you kidding me? -______-
    Just making sure.
  • edited October 2007
    And that one looks awesome. When it's downsized. It's very fuzzy if you view it full sized.
    Ya, I know. I have it on my desktop with a res of 1440x900 so it's not crazy fuzzy. I think the res of the original is over 2000, which is beyond unnecessary if you ask me. It simply makes it easier to resize later, I suppose.
    Post edited by Classic on
  • http://www.thezipman.com/archives/images/katamari_soundtrack2.jpg
  • Heres my crappy windows Desktop. I much prefer my Ubuntu, but well Steam plays on windows.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1720159989&size=o
  • Heres my crappy windows Desktop. I much prefer my Ubuntu, but well Steam plays on windows.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1720159989&size;=o
    Isn't the brightness on that completely distracting? It almost blinded me . . . I honestly averted my eyes for a moment.
  • And yes, that is Mac OS, be your OS preferences as they may. I like it, mainly because I don't do that much PC gaming any more really, so I don't need Windows (or a powerful computer) and there's just sooo many little convenience features...
    May I ask how you changed the icons on the dock and where you got them from?
    edited October 2007
    May I ask how you changed the icons on the dock and where you got them from?
    Deviant Art. Forgot the name of the icon pack. Buuf or something?

Yup, Buuf.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I rarely use my windows partition on this box. When I do, I almost never see the desktop. I access everything through the start menu and quick launch
  • Sail, that Soviet Desktop is so cool! Would you please tell me where you found it?
  • Sail, that Soviet Desktop is so cool! Would you please tell me where you found it?
    Why would it matter? I'm sure your conspiracy theories dictate that all backgrounds are to be permanently set with a mass update to our glorious overlord GWB. I mean, at least it sounds like something you would believe...
    Why would it matter? I'm sure your conspiracy theories dictate that all backgrounds are to be permanently set with a mass update to our glorious overlord GWB. I mean, at least it sounds like something you would believe...
    Oh, you're just jealous that I'm able to romp with the sweaty stevedores on the Baltimore docks . . .
    I found the Beryl/Emerald theme here. As for the background, I just found the Soviet coat of arms on Google image and filled the rest of the background with white.