This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• I almost didn't read this, but when I did I saw that one quote that ATHF was "a failing show". Is it? I thought it was hugely popular.
  • This was the biggest load of crap. I can't believe anyone thought it was a threat. Did you see photos of the devices? Boston was taken by a wave of stupid.
  • I can't believe that after all this terrorism mania running wild the police can't tell the difference between a litebrite and a bomb
  • Those guys are truly my heros. "Can I take any other hair related questions?"
  • edited February 2007
    These two I have to say have been one of the more refreshing people that have been in the news recently. Throwing everything that the reporters said back in their face. Even in the court room they were smiling and enjoying every bit of it and the judge even said it wasn't in his opinion a intended plan to cause panic. The media don't really mention, at least in the Cleveland area, that there was no problem in other cities. Even though the led signs were hung there too.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Who else writes really long posts and then thinks they are crap, so you never post them?
  • If these guys were really first amendment crusaders, then maybe I'd listen to arguments supporting them. The reality is that they are just two bums who were out to make a quick buck. One needed his mommy to post his bail, and the other had his bail posted by a woman for whom he works as a babysitter. The woman who employed Berdovsky (the "political refugee" from Belarus) as a babysitter needs to have her head examined.

I can certainly see how people should not have thought that these were bombs. However, I can't blame a prudent person for at least wanting to make sure that they weren't bombs rather than just making that assumption. Let's face it, anything with wires and a battery sticking out of it ought to draw some suspicion.

I lost any sympathy I might have had for these guys when I read where the things were placed. Under bridges and underpasses? They could have chosen anywhere in the freaking city to put these things and they chose the most likely place that a terrorist would have planted a bomb. So insomuch as they are responsible for that decision, I have very little sympathy for them.
  • And before you harp on Boston, let me refer you to this quote from the Boston Globe:
    In six of the nine other cities where the Turner Broadcasting System guerrilla ads were installed, they were not placed on or near major highways, bridges, or transit hubs, as they were in Boston. Law enforcement officials in other cities and in Boston said yesterday that the difference helps to explain the vastly different responses.

So at least 66% of "performance artists" are smarter than these two guys - which isn't saying much.
  • This was the biggest load of crap. I can't believe anyone thought it was a threat. Did you see photos of the devices? Boston was taken by a wave of stupid.
    No kidding, and the entire routine of "Throw the book at them for the disruption they caused!" really seems stupid. Because the city of Boston was dumb, they caused a panic and disrupted the city.

It's amazing the stupidity that has gripped this country.
  • It seems clear to me that the mayor was incredibly nervous and distraught during the "crisis", and then, when realizing it wasn't what he thought, he discovered that he was a moron. In a typical blustery, prideful way, he disguised his stupidity by inflating the "criminal intent" and otherwise seriousness of the issue. It's amazing the length some men will go to in order to preserve their pride.
  • Freedom is the right to be stupid.
  • edited February 2007
    Freedom is the right to be stupid.
    A nice soundbite, but far from true. It's stupid to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. We all know that is not protected speech. So no... freedom is not a blanket right to be stupid.

What you're forgetting is that I should be "free" from being trampled in a theater. In a democracy, freedom is never absolute. As long as you are interacting with others, freedoms must be weighed and balanced.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited February 2007
    I lost any sympathy I might have had for these guys when I read where the things were placed. Under bridges and underpasses? They could have chosen anywhere in the freaking city to put these things and they chose the most likely place that a terrorist would have planted a bomb. So insomuch as they are responsible for that decision, I have very little sympathy for them.

Well not having that info last night i can see how this exploded like it did. It was really stupid to put them there it alone could have caused and accident. The way some people drive putting it under an overpass or in traffic areas was a bad idea. Good for advertising although looking from an objective point of view Still though I think they could have handled better than they did. The panic could have really gone bad but luckily it didn't.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • What about the laws in regards to placing billboards and other notices? Can they be sued in boston for putting these things up in the first place? Didn't they need to secure a permit or something first?
  • I'd rather die from the incredibly unlikely "lite-brite bomb" than spend the rest of my life in fear of lite-brites.
  • edited February 2007
    Freedom is the right to be stupid.
    A nice soundbite, but far from true. It's stupid to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. We all know that is not protected speech. So no... freedom is not a blanket right to be stupid.

What you're forgetting is that I should be "free" from being trampled in a theater. In a democracy, freedom is never absolute. As long as you are interacting with others, freedoms must be weighed and balanced.
    This is the most depressing thing I've ever read. Worse, there's no way I can argue against it, because people are more worried about being safe than being free. And let's cut to the chase: Don't say "is not protected speech." Say "is censored speech."
    Post edited by Jason on
  • kilarney is using the correct term. "Not protected" is not the same as "censored".
  • Worse, there's no way I can argue against it, because people are more worried about being safe than being free.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • I once burned myself on the lightbulb inside a Lite-Brite, therefore I am 100% behind the city of Boston on this.
  • edited February 2007
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    - Benjamin Franklin
    I suppose the Loyalists, while losing all of their property because of their political beliefs, found this quote quite ironic.

Keep in mind, Franklin never made this statement. He merely published the book that contained it. That statement was made by a man by the name of Richard Jackson.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The Mooninite Terrorists have already won.
  • edited February 2007
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited February 2007
    I'd rather die from the incredibly unlikely "lite-brite bomb" than spend the rest of my life in fear of lite-brites.
    When Lite-Brites are outlawed, only outlaws will have Lite-Brites.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I, for one, welcome our new Lite-Brite overlords.
  • Does this mean I can't bring LEDs on a plane?
  • LEDs on a plane?
    Would probably make a pretty good movie. Provided it had Samuel L. Jackson, of course.
  • Without going into rehash on the hilarity and absurdness of this situation, I really want to bring up a point that I feel should be taken to consideration.

To put it into context, I was reading this Times article, and the comments on the /. forum.

Anyways, one user made this point, and I hope that it will spark some discussion. Granted I do not watch any sort of reality TV, I go to high school, so if its not Grays Anatomy, 24 or the Tree Hill, most people won't talk about it. But I do feel a culminating misinformation on the grand scale that may be affecting people across the country. I think this is roughly alluded to in the "So how's the Union" thread, but how does everyone feel about the premise that America is suffering from acute delusion? That the use of the word terrorism is so numbingly fickle its just nauseating? Just me?

I'd get away with speaking about this in class, but it goes over most peoples' heads. Hell, most students, and even my teachers don't grasp the point to my discussion, and think I'm nuts, when I try to talk about things such as why iTunes and DRM is actually a bad thing.

Furthermore, some very accurate points were also made about the benefits for Turner--free publicity. I'm planning on buying the ATHF seasons in the coming month before I see the movie.
  • Terrorism is real; the resulting "patriotism" in which we're supposed to indulge is fake.