This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wives and Money

edited February 2007 in Politics
Yes, I put this in politics for a reason!

To further the tangent Jason was going down in another thread...

Before my wife and I got married we maintained separate checking accounts and we both made the same exact base income. We both worked the same exact job for the same exact pay. The only differences were when one of us got overtime.

We lived together for a short time and this was when my wife began talking about "pooling" our incomes as opposed to just splitting bills 50/50. I was against this at the time because I still owed a few grand on my car and about $800 in credit card debt. I knew I could pay off both bills in a matter of months as the debt I owed was equal to two months net pay and I had 75% of the total owed in a savings account. I didn't pay off the loans early as I had a very low interest rate and I was using the debts to increase my credit rating by paying them on time.

Unfortunately our company went on strike shortly after we got married and this somewhat screwed me. I used the funds in my accounts to clean up all but $1000 in debt as we were out of work for more than a month! when we then merged our accounts I had nothing and she had about $2K left in her accounts. We used $1K of that to pay off the last of my debts and then she acted as if she bailed me out! The funny thing is that I now had ZERO debt while she still owed about $8K on her car! I don't count the mortgage on the house because we both benefit from that.

We then went to a system of $20 per week "allowance" but that soon went wrong as she would spend her money on coffee and newspapers while I would save mine and buy games. She had some weird problem with this and told me that the money was strictly for things such as coffee and snacks and that if I did not use the money for that purpose I could no longer have it!

A while later she went on maternity leave and never went back to work. Things got worse because, for the first time in her life, she had no income. It can be very hard on someone to go from making $75K to nothing. I understand this but it is annoying to have someone try to micromanage your money because they no longer have any!

My main thought has always been, "just give me $20 per week, no questions asked, and I don't care what you buy!"

The thing about work giving you reimbursement checks is that the money in question already came out of my $20 allowance, if it now goes back into the general fund I never see it again!

A few years back I purchased some copies of the Farscape magazine that was put out by Titan. I spent my own money buying the issues and kept them mint. When the show got cancelled I eBayed those issues and made a hefty profit, or should I say "we" made a hefty profit. Even though I spent $120 buying those things from my allowance money the $450 I made from selling them went into the general fund. See, if you only make a few dollars here and there it's not a big issue, but once you start making real money the have-nots get jealous! And no, I did not get my initial $120 back!

At this point we have a joint checking account, savings account and several investment accounts. She has a checking account (she does Mary-Kay) and I have a checking account (I do software and SimplyFun). What irks me to no end is when she tells me that she is putting some of her Mary-Kay money into the joint account. I know what she is doing, she is trying to guilt me into doing the same. Why? Because she knows the balance in my account! What she fails to grasp is that just because I have $800 in the account does not mean the money is not destined for some other purpose. It might be there because I just filled a party order and I have a $600 balance on my credit card, the one I used to place the order!

If she were back at her old job and making the same money I do this would not even be an issue. Our disparity in incomes is the problem. She has always identified with the fact that she makes lots of money, now she does not.

Comments

• Uh... that's far too complicated. What the hell?
  • Here is the rest of the thread. Just to save all the kiddies time.
    Blah, blah blah
    Something, something, something.
    Blah, blah blah /flame
    Something, something, something. Neoconservative.
    Bonzai!!!!!111
  • edited February 2007
    WIP: LOL squared.

Steve: "I had nothing and she had about $2K left in her accounts. We used $1K of that to pay off the last of my debts and then she acted as if she bailed me out!" Yeah. She bailed you out.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • WIP: LOL squared.

Steve: "I had nothing and she had about $2K left in her accounts. We used $1K of that to pay off the last of my debts and then she acted as if she bailed me out!" Yeah. She bailed you out.
    Pwned.....
  • Was this back in 1984 when $20 could last a week and $1000 was a lot of money? =P
  • Was this back in 1984 when $20 could last a week and $1000 was a lot of money? =P
    $20 lasts me two weeks.
    $20 lasts me two weeks.
    Wow. $20 doesn't last me a day.
  • $20 lasts me two weeks as well. We old men have to conserve our cashes to pay the billz.
  • Note to self: Keep a private checking account that's balance is only known to myself.
    $20 lasts me two weeks.
    I've dropped 20 bucks on beer.

Let me emphasize: a beer.
  • I've dropped 20 bucks on beer.

Let me emphasize:abeer.
    Wtf, what beer was that?
  • So if I get married someone will give me money? Cause I need money.
    Remember the opening sequence from the Jetsons where George goes to hand Jane a single bill and she takes his wallet? That's real life...
    Remember the opening sequence from the Jetsons where George goes to hand Jane a single bill and she takes his wallet? That's real life...
    Awesome, anyone want to get married?

Wtf, what beer was that?
    A 22 oz. bomber of a good imported Russian Imperial stout.

/beer snob

Wtf, what beer was that?

/beer snob
    RUSSIAN BEER! Don't you know the best beer in the world is Australian beer? Coopers to be precise.
  • edited February 2007
    The most I've ever paid for a single beer was $6, and afterwards I dragged myself into an alley and kicked my own ass.
    Post edited by Jason on

• Remember the opening sequence from the Jetsons where George goes to hand Jane a single bill and she takes his wallet? That's real life...
    So you're saying you're as much of a fool as George Jetson? While we're bringing Hanna-Barbera into it, let's use the Flintstones to further our argument. You seem to be saying that the Fred Flintstone style marriage is the only way to go. We're saying you need to be more like Barney Rubble. You don't see Betty giving him nearly as much shit as Wilma gives Fred.
  • edited February 2007
    Barney rules.

RUSSIAN BEER! Don't you know the best beer in the world is Australian beer? Coopers to be precise.
    That's why "On The Beach" was such a good movie. They drank like bastards in nearly every single frame.
    So if I get married someone will give me money? Cause I need money.
    Don't tease the geeks like that. Now you've made them all hot and bothered.

I'm sure any age-appropriate ones here would marry you in a heartbeat. AND give you all their moneys.

• Remember the opening sequence from the Jetsons where George goes to hand Jane a single bill and she takes his wallet? That's real life...
    So you're saying you're as much of a fool as George Jetson? While we're bringing Hanna-Barbera into it, let's use the Flintstones to further our argument. You seem to be saying that the Fred Flintstone style marriage is the only way to go. We're saying you need to be more like Barney Rubble. You don't see Betty giving him nearly as much shit as Wilma gives Fred.
    What huh?

Take a poll of the married guys on here and ask them this question.

The Flintstones was just an animated version of the Honeymooners.
    Don't tease the geeks like that. Now you've made them all hot and bothered.

I'm sure any age-appropriate ones here would marry you in a heartbeat. AND give you all their moneys.
    pixplzkthx
  • "Don't tease the geeks..."

I almost just gave birth to a live roflcopter I was laughing so hard....
  • This isn't the first time you've expressed anti-wife sentiments, man. >_> I hardly see how any trouble you may be having suddenly makes every wife ever evil and after her husband's moneys(!). OMG!1! D: I assume that's what you're trying to say given the sweeping generalisation the thread title implies. :/ Maybe you should talk to her more or something if you feel so bad about it. Geez. Venting on the FRC forums is passive aggresive... = impractical.

This is a pretty amusing thread, nevertheless. WaterisPoison wins! XD
    I've dropped 20 bucks on beer.

Wtf, what beer was that?

/beer snob
    No way. Australian beer is horrible! D: I've tried, like, seven different brands - all bad. :/ And I live next to a brewery and think it smells nice. Yet beer is horrid. :
  • WaterisPoison wins! XD
    I like you. More people should learn from your example.
  • RUSSIAN BEER! Don't you know the best beer in the world is Australian beer? Coopers to be precise.
    Actually, Russian Imperial stout is English in origin. It was made to export to the Tsar of Russia.

Also, I agree with Mamath, in that I don't like most Australian beer. Then again, I'm not a fan of lager or most lighter ales. I'm all about darker ales, stouts and porters, and barley wines.
  • edited February 2007

Also, I agree with Mamath, in that I don't like most Australian beer. Then again, I'm not a fan of lager or most lighter ales. I'm all about darker ales, stouts and porters, and barley wines.
    Now that I can afford decent beer, I don't drink. At least not much - as in I haven't bought a beer since June. When I was drinkin' as a student, I would not turn my nose up to Busch, Keystone, or even Old Milwaulkee, which we called Old Swill. I would even drink PBR or LaBatt's. The worst I'd tolerate now is Bud Light, but if I really want decent, cheap beer, I'll get Blackened Voodoo. I recommend it highly. Do they still make Michelob Dark? I used to love that.

It's easy to be a snob. What's the worst you've had or will admit to having? What's the worst you'll tolerate now?
  • Have any of you tried Coopers?
  • Hrrrmmm... the post started out about wives and money, and turned into a conversation about alcohol... hrrrmmmm... This is where Rym posts something like "This is the saddest comment I have ever seen, if you are hinting at what I think you're hinting at. You dopes are bad people and shouldn't be married."

I'm not a beer man myself, though when I do drink it, I drink Killian's Irish Red. Yummy. Actually, I prefer the hard stuff. Bring on the whiskey.
  • Actually, I prefer the hard stuff. Bring on the whiskey.
    Psh, drink some 190 proof Everclear, then come talk to me about hardstuff.
  • edited February 2007
    It's easy to be a snob. What's the worst you've had or will admit to having? What's the worst you'll tolerate now?
    I've tried the main cheap beers: Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, PBR, Old Milwaukee, and Keystone. All of those beers are godawful, but Bud Light was the only one that made me physically nauseous upon drinking.

I will not drink any of these cheap, crappy beers today, unless there's a very good reason (for example, buying a shitty beer at a bowling alley and drinking it in a cup so I can enjoy the good beer I snuck in later). My general rule is that if there isn't any beer that I like, I won't drink beer. If you said that if I wanted any beer in the next month it would have to be Bud Light, I wouldn't drink beer that month.

EDIT: My current beer goal is to get this beer. It's only sold one day out of the year, and only at the brewery where it's made. The stuff costs $150 a case, with a run size of 200 cases. The limit is 2 cases per customer. It's apparently the second best beer on the planet.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on