This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steve Jobs on DRM

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
This is very interesting post by Steve Jobs on the European DRM issue.

I wonder if apple would really remove all DRM if given the opportunity?

Comments

• I wonder if apple would really remove all DRM if given the opportunity?
    Probably not. DRM forces some people to stick with iPods.
  • Did you read the essay? I know that easy syncing, easy use, large storage area, and flawless customer service keeps me with the ipod. I have only bought one thing off of itunes, not including some free music and a free show, and that was a few itunes exclusive songs.
  • No, I hadn't. And I agree with you, and that's why I have an iPod. But I mean think about non-geeks who find themselves in a pit, unable to escape because they would otherwise lose all their music.
  • I just don't believe that most people have more then $100 invested in iTunes. $100 is a bit of cash, but at least that music is burnable to CD so they can transfer it. I wonder if we will ever get to see the day that Jobs has to make the choice whether or not to honor this statement.
  • So, how do I transfer the few iPod TV shows I have purchased?
  • Touche...
  • [...] I wonder if we will ever get to see the day that Jobs has to make the choice whether or not to honor this statement.
    Good question. I believe Jobs was honest, but I also believe this open letter is a calculated strategy. Since consumer organizations in big countries like Germany and France have joined forces with the Nordic in their fight against the Apple store and their DRM, Apple should be scared. It's a smart move to blame the record companies and claim that their hands are tied. Apple may even gain some credibility among the file sharers. Smart move by Jobs!
  • Didn't Steve Jobs once say that even if the industry did not want DRM Apple would still use it?
  • DVD-Jon tears Job's letter apart in his blog.
  • While I'm all about abolishing DRM, and have been since the Secure Digital Music Initiative in 1998, I have to wonder about this issue.

iTunes allows you to burn a CD several times from the same playlist. What's even funnier is that you can re-burn the same songs later in a different playlist. All this means is that as soon as you buy anything from ITMS, burn to a CD, then rip it to MP3 or whatever bullshit elitist audiophile codec you think is better than MP3. It is immediately and irrevocably a DRM-free file. As long as you keep the file (backing it up is a good idea), you're not locked in to anything.

I have an iPod, a MacBook Pro, and plenty of purchased music from ITMS. I've never transferred a single purchased song onto the iPod. In fact, I've rarely put a song on it at all; it's predominantly used for podcasts.

Now, I'm sure the "ignorant masses" who comprise the lion's share of ITMS's 2,000,000,000 downloads don't think to do this. They've never even heard of CDeX. Fine, but would those same "ignorant masses" care if DRM were lifted?

Despite what DVD-Jon says, no one should quietly lift DRM. Someone should just do it, and make a big deal about, like it makes their product better. If they can successfully market that idea, they'll win huge business. Now, Apple has no reason to do anything competitive, especially if there's risk involved, because they're so far ahead. This kind of move would be best negotiated by a competitor. If it's true what some people have said, that the RIAA would like to try non-DRM service but Jobs won't let them, then you'd think we'd see a competitor to ITMS real soon that didn't have it.

Keep your fingers crossed.
  • An MP3 file is still of a lesser quality than music on a CD. I have done that for some songs but, if I'm going to buy music I want the best possible sound quality.
  • An MP3 file is still of a lesser quality than music on a CD. I have done that for some songs but, if I'm going to buy music I want the best possible sound quality.
    Then how come you aren't buying Super Audio CDs?
    Then how come you aren't buying Super Audio CDs?
    Probably because I have not purchased a CD since 1997.