This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

URGENT: Silicon-Germanium to Replace Silicon in Microchips?!

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
Greetings one and all of the GeekNights forums! I have beckoned you all to aide me on an incredibly important project of mine.

I have a project regarding Silicon-Germanium and the viability of it replacing Silicon when creating microchips and microprocessors, etc. I stated that the Silicon-Germanium alloy should replace regular Silicon for a number of reasons: it has a higher resistance to heat and better conductivity. I have a PowerPoint prepared and everything. My presentation (which is a major part of my grade) is pretty much complete.

There is just one problem. I need evaluators.

I need people who work in this field or have some knowledge of this type of information in order to prove whether my presentation is true. THIS was the part where I am lacking in. In my last-ditch effort to save my grade, I am turning to YOU, my fellow GeekNights listeners and forumgoers, help me out. Please help me answer these questions:

1. Is it truly viable to replace Silicon with Silicon-Germanium in Microchips (or motherboards in general)?
2. If it IS viable, why? If it ISN'T viable, why not?
3. Would using SiGe technology be more cost-efficient and more effective?
4. Is it a better solution to overheating than any other computer cooling solutions out there on the field?
5. Is it a viable solution for household computers?

Don't worry if SiGe technology is not a viable solution for normal computers. Just tell me why. If it's already being implemented, please tell me. That would be a great thing to put in my presentation to justify my reasoning.

Now, I'm not asking you all to do my project for me. I just need REFERENCES, people who know about some of this information so that I could have a name and title that I could give to my teachers. I'm looking at YOU Rym. You just so happen to work at IBM, so I am going to be using you as a reference. And to you other forumgoers, if you have a job in the Computer Engineering or Electrical Enginnering fields, please give me your first/last name, title, and general background information so I could use you as an "evaluator" for my project.

Thank you very much for your assistance and cooperation.

Comments

• I have no clue. This is all Microelectronic Engineering, Materials Science and Physics stuff which I have no clue about. I can only answer these questions by asking Google.
  • I'm sorry to so much from you Scott, but I need to ask a favor from you. I know that you get annoyed by people who ask you about easily stuff that could easily be found on Google, but please help me out with this. I would like you to be one of my "evaluators". Can you please create an educated (or seemingly educated) paragraph regarding your opinion on this type of technology? It would help out a lot. I only need 5 evaluators.

If you choose to help me out, please send me your first and last name, business name, and business email address. I PROMISE that I won't spam it or anything of the sort. This is solely for the sake of the project.

Also, my request is extended to all of you here in the forum. If you can, please email me the information to the address (NeokenXtreme@gmail.com).
  • I have no clue. This is all Microelectronic Engineering, Materials Science and Physics stuff which I have no clue about. Ian only answer these questions by asking Google.
    I'm with him. I have absolutely no clue what the difference is between Silicon and Silicon-Germanium and how it would effect processing. Us CS guys only deal with the abstract...softwarey world...yeah...
  • I read Germanium as Geranium and pictured computers full of breast implants and flowers.
  • I don't think you understand man. I don't know shit about this stuff. Asking me is no better than asking a nursery school kid. It's not a matter of the question being answerable by Google. I don't know if it is or isn't. If it is, it won't be a simple search. It will take a lot of research. I probably wouldn't understand any of the research if I found it. I don't even know anybody who knows about these things. I think your best bet is to go to websites of college that have microelectronic engineering majors and send e-mails to the professors.
  • IBM is on the forefront of this technology. While I can't speak for what little I learned about it there (both for it being confidential and for my not knowing enough about it in the first place), there is a great deal of information publicly available from them.

http://www-03.ibm.com/chips/about/technology/technologies/sige/
  • It would probably be helpful if you could focussed the scope of questions 1, 2, and 3 like you focussed question 5. I'd be somewhat skeptical about the cost factor for home use.
  • IBM is on the forefront of this technology. While I can't speak for what little I learned about it there (both for it being confidential and for my not knowing enough about it in the first place), there is a great deal of information publicly available from them.

Great link. Thanks for the help. Can I still use you as reference, regardless of whether you ACTUALLY know the information?

Great link. Thanks for the help. Can I still use you as reference, regardless of whether you ACTUALLY know the information?
    What, do you work for FOX News or something?
  • edited February 2007
    IBM is on the forefront of this technology. While I can't speak for what little I learned about it there (both for it being confidential and for my not knowing enough about it in the first place), there is a great deal of information publicly available from them.

What, do you work for FOX News or something?
    No, I'm just a Senior in High-School.

;)
    Post edited by VentureJ on