This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Superheroes in Court

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
Remember in "Batman Forever" when Batman was in court? I often wonder about that sort of thing. There was a Spiderman story a while back where defense attorneys were using a "Spiderman defense": Thug found webbed to a lightpole along with stolen goods and a note from Spiderman - if you can get to the interrogation room before your client confesses, you can shut the whole thing down. How are they gonna prove anything? They can't tie your guy to the scene, they might not even know where the scene was if Spidey wasn't specific in the note. They can't even get your guy for receiving since the beating he took and the fact that he was all tied up kinda cuts against there being any sort of knowing and voluntary exchange.

What about when the cop from the evidence room is called to establish chain of custody?:

"Officer, will you tell me when this envelope was checked into evidence?"
"I've written a note here. . . it looks like October 12th at 9:15 a.m."
"Did you record the investigating officer's name?"
"Uhhhh. . . It doesn't actually look like there was an investigating officer. . . "
"Well, who asked for it to be checked into evidence?"
"Uhhhhhh. . . It looks like it was Batman. . . "

At which point you can have the evidence excluded.

Could Batman's statements be admissible as investigative hearsay? Records kept in the normal course of super-hero-ing?

Many amusing situations can be imagined.

Comments

• The short-lived "The Tick" live action TV show had an episode about super heroes in court.
  • Are there any laws against vigilantism? I'm pretty sure that superheros would be tried under these laws in this day and age.
  • There was an episode of Lois & Clark about that.
    It was also the premise of The Incredibles.
    And society's response to comic book vigilanteismisticnessity was also the premise of The Watchmen.
  • edited February 2007
    Not exactly what I'm talking about. You're talking about legislation controlling and/or limiting superhero activity or superheroes being the subject of litigation.

I'm talking about when real life criminal procedure accomodating superhero activity. Such as when a cop would be testifying about something and then have to say that Batman gave him the burglar tools he found on the Riddler. The question that arises is: Where did Batman really find the tools? Is Batman available to testify? Is Batman a credible witness? Can we be sure that the guy testifying in the Batman suit is really Batman?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Not exactly what I'm talking about. You're talking about legislation controlling and/or limiting superhero activity. I'm talking about when real life criminal procedure would need to accomodate superhero activity.
    I know that, I'm just saying. If they would want to use a super hero in court, they would also probably be pissed off he messes with police work.
  • Not exactly what I'm talking about. You're talking about legislation controlling and/or limiting superhero activity. I'm talking about when real life criminal procedure would need to accomodate superhero activity.
    I know that, I'm just saying. If they would want to use a super hero in court, they would also probably be pissed off he messes with police work.
    Yes. That's what I meant. They couldn't introduce the burglar tools because Batman was involved. Dammit Batman!
  • That is what the episode of the Tick was all about... go watch it.
  • The current She-Hulk series from Marvel is actually pretty funny. It's all about She-Hulk being a superhero lawyer. The trades might be worth your time if you like that sort of thing.
  • That's a good series. They use back issues of comic books for precedents in court.
  • That's a good series. They use back issues of comic books for precedents in court.
    Really? I haven't actually read it. I just know about it.
  • It's worth reading. It's questionable if it's really worth owning. John Byrne did a She-Hulk series that was more fun.
  • There we go again, lawyers ruining good old crime fighting now. What is next!
  • Superheros are above the law, everyone knows that.
  • Superheros are above the law, everyone knows that.
    Err...no. Superheroes valiantly enforce and uphold the integrity of the law and would never break it. Go read a Superman comic.
  • edited February 2007
    Superman comics are nothing but propagated lies. Propaganda meant to dupe normal people into thinking that superheros are out protecting the world for the greater good. When in reality superheroes are a menace and should be dealt with accordingly. How else do you explain all the property damage and hapless citizens who get hurt when 'heroes' are running amok chasing after other superheroes.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Try explaining to your insurance adjuster that Spiderman wrecked your car. . .
  • Spidey always felt really guilty about that. It's why his comic is superior. He was never a Man of Steel. He was just a guy who doubted that what he was doing was right.