This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When would you live if you had a time machine?

edited February 2007 in Forum Game
I know it may be trite, but when would you go and when would you consider settling if you had access to a time machine? I've always had a strong attraction to the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. I have no illusions about the harshness of the era, but I really feel comfortable with the idea of living there. I wouldn't want to go back any further than that, at least not to live.

I would be very, very comfortable in the 1950s. I could assimilate there without missing a beat, probably since I grew up in rural KY. It's still the 50s there.

And I'm only asking for periods about which you have some concrete knowledge - this takes "THE FUTURE" out of consideration.

Comments

• I would have life in the dark ages, or the pre-columbian era en south america.
  • I'd only go back a few years to get in on some IPO action ;)
  • edited August 2007
    I LOVE those Gibson Girls from the Edwardian era. God DAMN they're hot! I've tried and tried to get Carole to dress like a Gibson Girl, but to no avail. She also refuses to wear her hair like Patty Andrews or wear a 50s bullet bra/tight angora sweater. *Sigh*.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If I had a time machine, I wouldn't "settle" anywhere. Aside from using it to generate enough money to have a base of operations or three at various secure places/times around the world, I'd most likely spend the rest of my active life travelling through space/time unraveling the mysteries of human existence. I'd watch the pyramids being built in Egypt, the assembly of the Senate in Rome, the fortunes of the Parthian Empire. I'd find out what killed the dinosaurs, who shot JFK, etc... ^_~

If that level of exploration were available to me, settling down would be entirely out of the question.
  • I see what you mean and I agree to a point. I'd go on trips to those eras, but I'd spend a good 85% of my time in Edwardian era New York and London.
  • When would you live? You mean, when would you reign?
  • When would you live? You mean, when would youreign?
    I don't have any interest in that sort of thing. However, if I was going to stay in "La Belle Epoque", I would bring enough moneys with me so that I could be comfortable and live as a gentleman. That would be important, because otherwise it would be very easy to be very uncomfortable.
  • I'd use it to take people to see Jesus's abilities.
  • Rym owned everybody, past and present, in this thread.

That being said...seeing the world and the spectrum of time firsthand would be an intensely awesome experience, which goes without saying. Sure, I'd wanna see it all, from before mankind to the (forbidden) future.

But as long as we're discounting the future, then I've got news for you: it doesn't get any better than this. Shacking up in a Roman hostel or cavorting with the Druids as they plan to build a henge is great, but it's great the way a vacation abroad is great. If you spend long enough anywhere, you'll feel just as the locals do--that it is normal. However, having memories of the modern day, you'll begin to miss things like plumbing, medicine, the Internet, anime, and people who speak your fucking language. The fiftieth time you watch gladiators go at it in the Colosseum won't be so sweet...surely not as sweet as ice cream or chocolate.

If I ever somehow ran out of places to visit, I'd settle right back here. Sure, there'd probably be some profiteering and whatnot, but a much bigger problem than "how many pennies should I deposit in the bank in 1706" is probably "how will I avoid being killed on site in all of these historical locations". How's your Latin? Greek? Ancient Japanese? Dinosaur?!?

Just as long as you don't horribly, horribly waste your time machine like the dumbass in the H. G. Wells novel, I think you'll have a blast regardless.
  • Oh yeah, and does this time machine have a teleportation feature? If not, you're going to get awful sick of overland travel...assuming you can even make it from The Americas or Australia with the machine strapped to your back.
  • Oh yeah, and does this time machine have a teleportation feature? If not, you're going to get awful sick of overland travel...assuming you can even make it from The Americas or Australia with the machine strapped to your back.
    Even if a time machine can't move through space, that's not a problem. You could just travel far enough into the future where teleporters are small enough to fit in wristwatches.

Also, here's something for you. We move relative to the earth, the earth moves relative to the sun, the sun moves relative to the galaxy, etc. If a time machine moved forward or backwards in time without moving, you would end up in the middle of nowhere. If I went about twenty minutes into the future, and my absolute position on the coordinate plane that is the universe stayed the same, then I would almost surely die from the horrible deadliness that is space.
  • Yeah, but you can't get around that. Any reasonable time machine assumes geosychronicity. As long as you're bending the fabric of space-time, might as well do some space travel with your time travel.

Though virtually every time machine ever depicted in film and literature exhibits this quality, it really doesn't make sense. You're already moving x,000,000 miles to remain in your original position...not to mention displacing air (hopefully just air), adding mass to the Earth (slowing down its rotation), etc. etc., so why not just teleport to your destination instead of remaining at the origin?

This would be far better if the machine were wholly intrinsic, perhaps nanotechnology-powered, and could be activated and configured through silent act of will, automatically returning you to your home space and time if you are critically injured or infected with an (contemporarily) incurable disease.
  • How's your Latin? Greek? Ancient Japanese? Dinosaur?!?
    One of the reasons I like La Belle Epoque. If I bring enough wealth to stay out of lower class hell, I won't have to worry about language so much. Or even custom or current events, as I know quite a bit about the period now and, since it's highly documented, I could brush up before I left. The period has enough of the comforts of home to be a reasonable place to settle, but none of the nasty bits of this era, like political correctness, GWB, and so on.
    Yeah, but you can't get around that. Any reasonable time machine assumes geosychronicity. As long as you're bending the fabric of space-time, might as well do some space travel with your time travel.

Though virtually every time machine ever depicted in film and literature exhibits this quality, it really doesn't make sense. You're already moving x,000,000 miles to remain in your original position...not to mention displacing air (hopefully just air), adding mass to the Earth (slowing down its rotation), etc. etc., so why not just teleport to your destination instead of remaining at the origin?

This would be far better if the machine were wholly intrinsic, perhaps nanotechnology-powered, and could be activated and configured through silent act of will, automatically returning you to your home space and time if you are critically injured or infected with an (contemporarily) incurable disease.
    These are reasons I didn't attempt to describe the machine. You could spend the whole thread discussing the machine and nothing else. If you want to do that, have at it, but I'm more interested right now in hearing where people would like to live or at least establish their home base.
  • I don't think I'd necessarily have a home base at any one point in time. Whenever I went to a new time, I would scout out the greatest human paradise currently existing and conquer it for myself. That way, if I ever get stuck in a time I will always have a paradise-like base to retreat to.
  • Only way to go is forward. Far, far forward.
  • I'd use it to take people to seeJesus's abilities.
    Pwned. His ability is switching fingers on his hand.
  • I come in late. As an archaeologist I would do the same as Scott - travel everywhere to unravel the mysteries of history. As my permanent time-place I would choose these modern times. The past is very interesting, but today is the most comfortable, and has the sexiest technology (since the future is forbidden).
  • Oh god, I would go to the late 1960s just to witness all the crazy crap that went on. I just spent an hour listening to Woodstock 69' and reading a book about the 60's.
  • I don't know if I could pick one time! I'd want to flit all over the place, the first place I'd go would be to the night the Berlin Wall came down. Does it matter that I was actually alive then?
  • I'd be really tempted to go back in time and try to tweak things a bit. Like maybe get rid of Mother Teresa before she did horrible horrible things... But anything like that would be so difficult to do properly. D: Freakin' causality. I think Rym's got the right idea. Although, I'd also be tempted to change bits of history and then zip back to the future/present and see what the effect was, if any. That'd be pretty interesting! Also, you know, possible amoral, but whatever!
  • Any reasonable time machine
    I LOL'd when I read this. Also, a question: if you go back 65 million years to see the dinosaurs go kaput, do you get some kind of invincibility suit? For the asteroid impact, you know. And if I can watch an asteroid impact, I'd watch the big bang too.
  • Hmmmm, I'd probably want to settle here in the modern times. Being of Chinese origin I can say that Ancient China was not a lot of fun (albeit VERY interesting) and I definitely would not fit in in a Western Civilization before the 50's thanks to widespread prejudice against Orientals. I might be tempted to travel to ancient Feudal Japan (land of ninjas and samurai) to learn the ways of the Samurai, but I'd probably get decapitated straight away... I'd definitely use my knowledge of the future economy to make some big bucks in the past, but frankly nothing in the past was sweet/fun enough for me to "settle down" in that era.
  • Rym already said it all, so I've got nothing to add. I would like, however, to go back to the beginning of time and watch how everything started.
  • Rym already said it all, so I've got nothing to add. I would like, however, to go back to the beginning of time and watch how everything started.
    Hello! We know how it all started! God created everything in 6 days, duh.
  • What about parallel worlds? Tweak the quantum settings on the time machine. Then wham I'm visiting planets with talking apes, ducks, dinosaurs, or cat girls. I mostly want to check out the world with cat girls though. :D
  • Much like Rym, I would create several secure bases at various space-time locations. Then with enough money generated in the present, I would travel back into the past with modern technology and embark upon a wave of conquest across the world. I would then alter the course of human history, and use the time machine to drop in periodically and observe the course of my empire, using knowledge of the future to eliminate threats before they have a chance to become problematic.

This would be a good chance at seeing what happens when a time paradox is created.
  • edited February 2007
    Everyone has all these high minded conquest ideas. I just want to score with a Gibson Girl.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Everyone has all these high minded conquest ideas. I just want to score with a Gibson Girl.
    "High Minded"?
    Somehow, I'm thinking not so much. High Concept, yes. High Minded, I doubt it.
  • I'd just want to go see some bands and performances I never got to see live, like the Dead, the Beach Boys, Hendrix, maybe some sporting events, etc. I'm pretty happy with the world as it is and the future would be the main place I'd want to hang out
  • I'd just want to go see some bands and performances I never got to see live, like the Dead, the Beach Boys, Hendrix, maybe some sporting events, etc. I'm pretty happy with the world as it is and the future would be the main place I'd want to hang out
    For real. I would go see every Zeppelin Concert.