This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Asimov on Intelligence

edited February 2007 in Everything Else

Comments

• No discussion. Asimov is 100% right. "Intelligence" means a lot of different things, and it's nearly impossible to set one standard that can properly encompass all of human thinking.

Oh, and yes, your auto mechanic or any other blue-collar worker is probably a lot smarter than you might think.
  • I agree with Asimov. I have an anecdote from my own life:

Many years ago, in my late teens, I was taking an IQ test. I was handed one of those pencils with an eraser at the end. The eraser was worn out leaving a sharp metal edge. Halfway through the test I needed to scratch my right ear, and did so with my right hand, forgetting it was also holding the pencil. The back end went straight up by nose, scratching up the tender inside, leaving me horribly embarrassed with blood pouring down on my test papers. I stopped the worst of it with a tissue and finished the test without asking for extra time.

I realized that IQ tests only test one type of intelligence when the result was 126 - a lot smarter than I felt at that moment...
  • edited February 2007
    This does not prove, however, the old myth that people all have equal intelligence distributed among different talents. Some people are more intelligent than others regardless of whether they are a mechanic or MENSA member; that there are many types do not mean that there is a constant intelligence total are manifested in all people. Far, far back in the dawn of time when I was in high school, my mom used to get so pissed at my elitism, and she would say that all people are equal. She tried to equivocate inherent equal worth of human life with inherent equal ability. It's just not true. Some people only have 39 intelligence ability, while others have 247.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • This does not prove, however, the old myth that people all have equal intelligence distributed among different talents.
    I agree completely.
  • ...while others have 247.
    How did you get my IQ test scores?
  • Because I can see you, but you can't see me. MuhahahaHAHAHA. The call is coming from inside the house!