This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Now coming at you in ubuntu.

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
Finally, I changed my box to Ubuntu.

I blame you people, yet, I thank you.

Comments

• Like, your main computer? Congratz then.
  • Yes, my main computer.

I like it so far.

Any tips to un-n00b* me?

*Yes I created a verb BITCH!
  • edited February 2007
    This page on BASH script helped me so unspeakably much. Also, the podcast Linux Reality can teach you all the basics. With these two, you'll be able to function properly in Ubuntu in no-time.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now (looks smug), I can also boot into XP. The other day I made my microphone work, I was very proud of my little self.
  • edited February 2007
    I've switched over to linux (As a desktop OS) a couple of times. It has infuriated me nearly entirely. I had decided that linux totally didn't belong as a desktop OS, and should just be used on servers and stuff.
    The other day I put on Ubuntu 6.10 (I have tried other versions of Ubuntu, and hated them). At first, I tried 64-bit, and it was a giant pile of steaming crap. Not much worked. After about 6 hours, I got irate and swapped to 32-bit. Everything was great.

There are a few things that are annoying me, like clicking in the address bar doesn't select the whole thing and pushing backspace doesn't go back (WTF?). I set pretty much everything up in the space of 2 hours.
    The only thing left is my iPod. I have tried a couple of the programs for it, but I hate them, so I am dual booting xp. What do other folk use?
    Does Compiz work properly now?

The only thing that took any degree of time was making ntfs full read-write. that took a lot longer than it should have.

To get back on topic, there's a guide here;
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy
    It's pretty good, but it's a little out of date. The best one is the community and help section on the ubuntu website are the best, I have found. They are pretty much all up to date, though finding exactly what you're looking can be more challenging than other places.

edit: Posting that made my ubuntu firefox crash. Yay?
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • I don't know what's wrong with your Firefox, but I can double click the location bar to select the whole thing. Of course, I usually use ctrl+l to select the location bar and ctrl+k to select the search box. Keyboard shortcuts for the win. Also, backspace most definitely sends me back, usually when I don't want it to. I usually use alt+left and alt+right for back and forward anyway.

For iPod, iTunes is still the best. There really isn't anything on any OS that can manage the iPod as well as iTunes. However, you should try Amarok. It can't do everything iTunes does, but its about as good as it gets. I have switched to Amarok as my media library manager despite not being a KDE user. However, I am using the Mac mini downstairs to manage the iPod.

Compiz is not something I would recommend using. In my honest opinion, all of those fancy desktops are just eye candy. They don't make using your computer easier or more efficient. They just make fancy effects you can use to make your friends go ooh and ahh for about five minutes. The trouble they cause and the effort it takes to make them work is not worth the benefit of having them. However, if you insist on using one I believe that Beryl is the new hotness and Compiz is the old and busted.

Yeah, making ntfs read-write does take some doing, but that is getting better every day. Your best bet is to not use NTFS. A lot of the deficiencies of Linux go away if you let go of Windows entirely.
  • Old and busted *points at kay*, New hotness *points to self* -- Wait? Why am I white?

I'm not terribly concerned with the compiz eye-candyness, I just recall breaking a previous install very thoroughly with it, and was wondering if it works now.

My backspace is only acting as a page-up equivalent. Not really sure why

I installed amarok on the weekend, but haven't taken the time to look properly. Mostly because a lot of my mis-tagged songs make me not want to look at the song list ^_^
    I'll take a better look at it now.

Is there anything like musicbrainz for linux (unlike musicbrainz, it would be nice it it didn't fuck my japanese music...)?

I'd rather leave the rest of my PC NTFS, because linux viewing NTFS is *FAR* better than Windows viewing Etx3. I'm not dropping my windows because of games and iTunes.

Thanks for the help.
  • For your IPod needs, you might always want to check out Banshee if you haven't already.
  • If you want Musicbrainz for Linux you can use... Musicbrainz. The Musicbrainz library works just fine in Linux, but you need a front-end to make it do things. You can write a python program to use Musicbrainz the way you want, or you can use a GUI like Picard. I use Picard, but it's a pretty bad interface. They are working on making it better, but very slowly. In my experience, using Picard doesn't fuck my Japanese music, it actually fixes it. The fucking of the foreign music is likely a charset issue and not a Musicbrainz issue. Ubuntu is super UTF-8, so that shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if your file system is not UTF-8 then filenames might be funky.

I used Banshee for awhile. The interface was almost exactly like iTunes, and it had all the features I wanted. However, I found it to be incredibly unstable and slow. If I added more than 100 songs to the library it shit a brick. If you are making a music library program, you better be prepared to handle a terabyte of music without slowing down. Efficient data structures are not that hard people.
  • Ah, thanks. I hated picard when i used it before, so I just ignored it and looked for the straight, vanilla musicbrainz. I didn't think to look for Picard at all. UTF-8 actually will fix my songs. I hadn't thought of that before. I noticed Amarok has some musicbrainz functionality built in, but they didn't work, and even if it did, it's only for an individual song at a time, so thats not very friendly. I'll chuck picard on there when I get home and it will be fun.

I think Amarok deleted all of my podcasts from my iPod, so I had nothing to listen to on the way in (Except music, but that doesn't count). I will stick with amarok, I just need to Play with it so I know whats going on with everything.

Thanks for the help!
  • I loaded RockBox onto my iPod for a while and it made it super easy to use the iPod with Linux.

The downside was that I could not use the car charger with RockBox as it would stop playing and go into charge mode...
  • Okay, this is REALLY interesting. My problem with Firefox was actually a recent change by the Mozilla crew.

They changed the Linux FX to use the Linux standard where backspace is page up, or some such. All it means to me is that I'm not crazy. To fix it, Enter "about:config" in the address bar, then find the "browser.backspace_action" key and change its value to 0 (Default is now 1).

Now my backspaces are all happy-dancey!
  • Okay, this is REALLY interesting. My problem with Firefox was actually a recent change by the Mozilla crew.

They changed the Linux FX to use the Linux standard where backspace is page up, or some such. All it means to me is that I'm not crazy. To fix it, Enter "about:config" in the address bar, then find the "browser.backspace_action" key and change its value to 0 (Default is now 1).

Now my backspaces are all happy-dancey!
    OMG! I have the same problem now too after upgrading Firefox. Thanks for finding the answer to a problem I didn't know I had.