This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Know Your Rights

edited February 2007 in Politics
I found this in a digg comment. It is a card made by the ACLU that tells you your rights when dealing with the police. Print it out and keep it with you in case the pesky cops ever come a knocking. File is in PDF format.

Know Your Rights.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Any contact with the cops is liable to be stressful, so you might forget the stuff on the card. That makes it a good idea to keep the card with you. In any dealings with the cops, always remember that they are not your friends. They'll try their best to make you talk to them or give them consent to do a search, and they can be very persuasive when they start treating you friendly. Always keep in mind that they are as fickle as a woman, they're not above lying, and they will turn on you like a snake.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • As someone who comes from a family of cops I 99% agree with what Joe has said.

Only 99% because the cop is doing his job and his job is not to be your friend. His job is to respond to a call, find out what happened and respond accordingly. He's not interested in being your friend he just wants to get the call over with so he can make it back to Dunkin' Donuts before closing time for the free donuts.

The second line did not come out just right but I'm pressed for time.
  • edited February 2007
    I've noticed at least one error in the form... and that's just after skimming it for a couple of minutes.

Update... make that two errors.

Update #2 ... three errors.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Considering that it's a card and not a book, it might be overbroad in spots and it might not address jurisdictional differences. Keeping that level of forgiveness in mind, I don't see that many problems.
  • The only problem I have is with the notion that the blanket statement that the police are not your friend.

If you commit a crime - the police are not your friend.

However, the police do a whole lot more than that.
  • The only problem I have is with the notion that the blanket statement that the police are not your friend.
    I don't see that on the card. I said that, sure, but I said it with an assumption that you've been stopped or that they're giving you suspicious looks or such. Then, as Steve said, it's not their job to be your friend. It's their job to make an arrest. Some cops I've known don't care beyond that point. Some others want the arrest to stick. They'll do anything, including acting like your friend, to get you to say or do something to make their job easier and to transform you from an upstanding citizen into a convicted criminal. That's when you have to remember that they're not your friend.

Otherwise, they can be your friend in any number of ways.
  • Then, as Steve said, it's not their job to be your friend. It's their job to make an arrest.
    Today's sign of the apocalypse. I could have coped with zombies, but there is no defense against this.
  • Are cops the US that bad? From what I've heard around here you all sound pretty, if not hostile, then suspicious of police. Have you had bad experiences or do the police have a bad reputation? Maybe its just my lifestyle but the only times I've dealt with police they have been friendly and polite. Granted I wasn't in any trouble, but even when I have been pulled over for random breath testing I've never felt like there was any chance of them doing something to violate my rights.
  • edited February 2007
    Are cops the US that bad?
    Do you call them "cops" in Australia? Isn't there some more colorful Australian sounding slang word, like "chubwullageroo", "pieman's breakfast", or maybe "pohmmy tommy pyjommy mommy"?
  • edited February 2007
    Wowza, mate! That there wajingo dun gimme a pockin' ticket's the size o' this crocky's 'ead! I best 'op ovah 'n' gets me ticket paid, or I'll end up cookin' me shrimp on the barbie behind bahs.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Are cops the US that bad?
    Do you call them "cops" in Australia? Isn't there some more colorful Australian sounding slang word, like "chubwullageroo", "pieman's breakfast", or maybe "pohmmy tommy pyjommy mommy"?
    Yes we call them Dingo Chasers and they ride Kangaroos. When there is an emergency the specially trained Kangaroos reach into their pouches and pull out flashing lights. Kookaburras make the sound of the siren.
  • Yes we call them Dingo Chasers and they ride Kangaroos. When there is an emergency the specially trained Kangaroos reach into their pouches and pull out flashing lights. Kookaburras make the sound of the siren.
    Is it true that there is a Koala bear mafia that deal in underground eucalyptus bootlegging?
  • edited February 2007
    Australia is a magical land of slang, funny animals, and beer. That's why you never have problems with your dingo chasers.
  • Australia is a magical land of slang, funny animals, and beer. That's why you never have problems with your dingo chasers.

We're not meant to talk about it.....but.....if you ever come down here, don't tell anyone that you don't drink. Not after what happened to Bruce 492.
  • Is it true that there is a Koala bear mafia that deal in underground eucalyptus bootlegging?
    Singin', "I come from a land down underworld..."
  • s it true that there is a Koala bear mafia that deal in underground eucalyptus bootlegging?
    Look I can't say too much but...Dropbears.
  • edited February 2007
    Wowza, mate! That there wajingo dun gimme a pockin' ticket's the size o' this crocky's 'ead! I best 'op ovah 'n' gets me ticket paid, or I'll end up cookin' me shrimp on the barbie behind bahs.
    Gae off me heath, ye wee finian bastard!