This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Explain your top 10 anime

edited February 2007 in Anime
Well, this came from the last episode, and my episodes are these:

My number 10 is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ok, many would say that this anime is mind bending and also that it opened a new point of view for giant robot animes, but as Daryl Surat said once, "It is like looking into a pond of water that looks deep but is NOT."

When I watched back in 1998, I thought it was pretty neat and that each episode meant something. I also got angry because I was surprised that Gainax was having economic problems during the production at the end of the anime.

I personally liked it because of the original end, the end that most of the people do not like. Why, you may ask? Well, it is because it was a nice ending that wrapped everything up. and That is why I did not and do not see any reason to make any more movies :P.

My number 9 is Captain Tsubasa. Everyone has an sports anime, and in this case Captain Tsubasa is mine. This anime pulls out the weirdest, most impressive and physics-defying moments in the history of soccer. It is true, that some are feasible, but most of them are just crazy. Nevertheless, I know it is just a cartoon, and I can pass through those over the top techniques: and I like over the top.

My number 8 is Cobra. Ok, where can I start. I am just gonna say that this is the story of a guy with a blaster on his left arm whohas awesome adventures on space.

My number 7 is Dragonball/Dragonball Z. Ok, I was 12th the first time I watched it, and I liked it a lot. Now, not so much. But, if I had the money to buy the DVDs, I would buy them. I know the fighting scenes can go to up to 10 episodes long and the story can be very silly, but this is freaking Dragonball I am talking about: it is my Initial D.

I will continue my list later. .... :P

Mr Period: Added line breaks and double-space between sentences.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Ease off the caffeine...breathe...and please use the return key (the big one on the right hand side of the keyboard).

Your posts are usually far more readable than this monster block of letters and numbers.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2007
    Oh dear, this could turn into a monster post if I let it...

I'll flesh out my list with details and pics after I put some thought into this... This is a list of my favorite anime: I'm well aware that several of these technically aren't that good. However, I can pop them into my dvd player and enjoy myself whenever I feel down or bored; they're my comfort anime that never get old ;). There are plenty of series that I recognize as great, but I really have no desire to rewatch them ever again.

Crest/Banner of the Stars I and II
    Kodomo no Omocha aka Kadocha aka Child's Toy
    PLANETES
    Rurouni Kenshin (the good OVA and the Kyoto arc)
    Mushishi
    Fruits Basket
    Kaleido Star
    Haibane Renmei
    12 Kingdoms aka Juuni Kokki
    One Piece
    Post edited by Rym on
  • 10 is an awful lot; 10 responders later and you'll have 100 possibly unrelated shows. While I've certainly watched more than 10 anime series, I don't know if have 10 favorites. Definitely can't complain about:

Slayers
    Escaflowne
    Azumanga Daioh
    Cowboy Bebop
    Tenchi Muyo
    Trigun
  • In no particular order, and omitting movies.

Escaflowne
    Cowboy Bebop
    Evangelion
    Trigun
    Utena
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Gundam SEED
    Big O
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Gasaraki

In coming up with this list, I notice that, while there are a great many comedic anime I love dearly (Slayers, Tenchi Muyo, Azumanga Daioh...), they just don't feel like they belong up there. I suppose this list is less one of "favourites," and more one of shows that have in some way affected me, be it though personal analysis or emotional involvement.
  • I see Mr. Period has made a triumphant return.
  • Also in no particular order:

Cowboy Bebop
    Samurai Champloo
    Azumanga Daioh
    One Piece
    Prince of Tennis (I've seen 50 eps, still working my way through it)
    Initial D
    Gundam SEED
    Suzuka
    The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    Comic Party
  • Am I the only one that had issues with the pacing and thematic skipping-around in Samurai Champloo? I really didn't think it was that great of a series. Before you start screaming, Fu fanboys, just tell me why this deserves to be in a top 10 list.
  • I'm not a fanboy by any means, but I enjoyed the interesting take on the samurai genre. I felt that it was a lot like Bebop with a lot of episodes that simply explore different styles of storytelling, but there was an underlying plot to everything. And also like Bebop it has great music, its just all hip hop. It had a lot of flash to it, but there was also a lot of subtlety in it too I think.

Plus you gotta love the random baseball episode, if for nothing more then the Americans.
  • edited February 2007
    First of all, thanks to Mr. Period for making me see the errors of my way :P .

Anyhow here it comes the rest:

My number 6 is Cowboy Bebop. Ok, this can be considered as my Samurai Champloo. I truly enjoyed all of the episodes. It was perfect in almost every single way. Except that it was not long enough, but I guess good stuff comes in small packages :D

My number 5 is Saint Seiya. This story is truly epic (well, it had to be in order to be 114 ep.). I mean what can be cooler than sacred clothes, quasi - Greek mythology and non stop action with a crazy and over the top plot. I am including in number 5 all the movies and OAVs.

My number 4 is Lupin The 3rd "Castle of Cagliostro" . I recently watched and my whole family enjoy it. A film that makes my whole family to laugh and get exited on an animated action scene has to be in my top 5. Also It is a beautiful film even though it brought the moe wave to Japan :(

My number 3 is Giant Robo the Animation. I got into Giant Robo thanks to AWO. This is truly a master piece and one of the best works of anime done on the 90s. The music is perfect, the animation is super, and the plot is intricate.

My number 2 goes to The Rose of Versailles. This series was written by the female Kazuo Koike, and this series is also the cause why I do not like Utena that much.

My number 1 goes to Macross. I will led AWO to take this one.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • In no particular order.

Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Gankutsuou
    Steamboy
    Lupin the 3rd
    Big O
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away

It's only eight items long because those are the only anime I have ever seen.
  • In no particular order.

Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Gankutsuou
    Steamboy
    Lupin the 3rd
    Big O
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away

It's only eight items long because those are the only anime I have ever seen.
    My list is pretty similar to this, but I havent seen Gankutsuou yet.
  • Castle of Cagliostro is my number 1 favorite movie of all time. I could watch that movie forever, easy. It's amazing that its Miyazaki's first movie, and he did it in 6 months.
  • edited February 2007
    I've seen a lot of US release CRAP, so mine tend to be the mainstream favorites too:

Read or Die OVA
    Hellsing
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    Gungrave
    Vandread (Yup, I admit it)
    Outlaw Star
    Samurai 7
    Post edited by Jason on
  • If we're talking anime movies, as opposed to shows, I have an entirely different list.

Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
    Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
    The Place Promised in Our Early Days
    Hoshi no Koe
    Mononoke Hime
    Spirited Away
    Perfect Blue
    Tenchi Muyo in Love
    Ghost in the Shell

I leave the 10th spot open, as it's too difficult to differentiate at this point.
  • In the approximate order I thought of them, for whatever that's worth:

FLCL (craziness that crystallizes into perfect, wordless sense in the last episode)
    Cowboy Bebop (a more perfect balance of all elements of storytelling in anime I cannot recall)
    Trigun
    Monoke Hime (my personal favorite of Miyazaki's movies)
    Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon is at least semidivine; I have yet to see anything of his I haven't liked. P.A. wins by a hair)
    Mushishi (a blending of science and mythology that is quite unique)
    Escaflowne
    Evangelion/RahXephon (Broadly, I consider the second a considerably refined version of the first. But Eva got there first, so the slot is filled in tandem.)
    Giant Robo (delightfully aged cheese)
    Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks FLCL is the awesome =)
  • My top 10 list tends to vary slightly every now and again as I watch new and old anime.

At present the list is (in no particular order and excluding movies):

Azumanga Daioh
    This show will ALWAYS be in my top 10 (if not my top 5). Simple but very effective animation and character designs, suitable soundtrack and above all excellent comedic timing. I'm quite partial to randomness and craziness in comedy anime, but Azumanga Daioh manages to be hilarious without resorting to too much slapstick and insanity. On top of that, it features one of the best character pairings (Chiyo and Osaka) that I've ever seen.

FLCL
    I love everything about this show. Fantastic animation, kick ass tunes and non-stop hilarity. A lot of people don't like this show because it is pretty insane, but I think with a 6 episode length, the jokes stay fresh and you don't feel too overwhelmed by the craziness. That's one of the reasons why Excel Saga won't make it into my top 10.

Trigun
    One of the first anime shows I watched with the knowledge I was actually watching "anime". One of my gateway shows into the fantastic world of anime. I'm not a Sci-fi or Western fan, so I was skeptical when I was first recommended this show, but the episodic and comedic nature of the first half of the series followed by the much more serious story-arc of the second half was the perfect mix and I ended up watching the whole show in about 48 hours.

Eureka 7
    Surfing mecha?!?!?! OMGWTF? But seriously... superb show. BONES did a fantastic job animating this baby and I love the soundtrack (which is quite surprising because it consists of a lot of trance and dance tracks which I generally don't like). The thing that set Eureka 7 apart from all the other mecha-shows I've seen is the fact that I genuinely care about the characters (not in a creepy otaku way), especially Renton and Eureka. Through all their trials and tribulations, their ups and downs, I was never bored or annoyed by the things they did or said. Of course, Renton did his fair share of whining, but I would always sympathize with him (which is not something I can say about some other mecha-anime... coughcoughGundamSeedcoughcough). On top of all that, Eureka 7 had a beautiful ending, I hate to admit this, but I was a little teary-eyed at the end ^_^'

Ouran High School Host Club
    I was a bit worried about watching this show when it first started. It reeked of Yaoi-ness and bishounens and frankly I ain't the least bit interested in that, but as soon as I finished the first episode, I knew this show was gonna become one of my "must-watch-shows" for the season. I first became interested in Ouran Host Club because it was a BONES Studio project. I had just finished watching Eureka 7 (also a BONES Studio production) and was mightily impressed, so I decided to check out their other project. WIthout a doubt, Ouran Host Club is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen (dare I say on par with Azumanga Daioh?!?!). It's one big cliche, with the specific character-types and oh-so-obvious love developing between the main characters, but god damn is it hilarious and entertaining.

arrrgh...that's only 5 so far... I'll finish this later when I can be arsed and have had a little cat nap.
  • Azumanga Daioh was crazy and loopy and etc etc etc.

But it was also deeply touching.

In Japan, high school can often be the last time you feel truly free to live and enjoy life with friends. The work ethic in Japan makes adult life downright miserable for a lot of people, and leaves very little time for friends and family. Yukari is right when she says that, as tough as Japanese High Schools are (they're damn tough), real work is harder. Maybe not [i]her[/i] work, but everyone else's.

On top of that, all of the characters are female. Women in Japan are in a sad situation. Their beauty is overlooked by many men who would rather look at exaggerated animations. Their intelligence is mocked by the peril of the modern OL (office lady), where a professional woman whose undergone as much and as trying an education as any man is expected to act and work like a secretary, and even then only until she gets pregnant, whereupon she leaves the workplace for decades, if not forever.

This situation is improving, but it's still a problem. There were many moments while watching this show that I felt the Japanese woman's plight expressed in the art. In that, I found it more expressive than other hard-hitters. Evangelion expresses the same thing the Matrix movies did -- a strong desire to squeeze the blood of drama from the rock that is Judeo-Christian myth. Even some of my favorite anime, like Tenchi Muyo, had less to say, and were more just transient entertainment.

All this applies only to Azumanga Daioh: the Animation. The manga was just a rapid-fire salvo of hilarity.
  • This includes TV series, movies, and OVAs:

1. Tenchi Muyo! (The original OVA only)
    - It wasn't quite laugh out loud funny, but it captured my attention all the way through anyway.
    - It had plenty of cute little antics. None of that modern harem anime fanservice BS or cliched comedy.

2. Azumanga Daioh
    - Hillarious, random, and cute.

3. Voices of a Distant Star
    - I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was quite emotional, especially for a 30 minute OVA. It could have done without the mecha, though.

4. Excel Saga
    - I like it because it's so random.

5. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
    - Nothing gets me excited quite as much as stylized violence.

6. Oruchuban Ebichu
    - Perverse comedy FTW.

7. Gundam 08th MS Team
    - It has a gritty feel that gets 08th MS team as close to a real robot show as it's going to get.

8. Gundam SEED

9. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

10. Galaxy Angel Z
  • I'm pulling a Rym and going to list the cartoons that left they're mark on me.

10. Zatch Bell
    It's a silly fun time that always makes me smile. Zatch Bell takes the shonen fighting show and perfects it.

9. S-Cry-Ed
    A corny fighting show about what men care about most, beating the shit out of each other with psychic armor.

8. Outlaw Star
    It's Trigun and Cowboy Bebop with space magic, SPACE MAGIC!!!

7. GitS 1st gig
    Cyborg Law and Order with philosophy.

6. Mobile Fighter G Gundam
    A show that teaches you how show your love with BURNING FINGERS!

5. The Big O
    I like detectives, robots, and piston punches. I like it all.

4. FLCL
    A simple story of a boy's journey to become a man.

3. Shin Getter Robo
    The most MANLY show to ever be. It has the power of the Getter Rays backing it to inspire HOT BLOODED ACTION from any and all who witness it. GETTTAAAAAAAAAA BEAAAAAMMM!!!!!!

2. Paranoia Agent
    You have to be a pretty smart cartoon to make me think about social issues and the human condition. Paranoia Agent is the smartest cartoon.

1. Cowboy Bebop
    It's the best anime there has ever been or will ever be.
  • 4. FLCL
    A simple story of a boy's journey to become a man.
    Ok, FLCL is one of my favorite shows, and I wonder how anyone could possibly define it as "simple" after watching all of it.
  • 4. FLCL
    Asimplestory of a boy's journey to become a man.
    Ok, FLCL is one of my favorite shows, and I wonder how anyone could possibly define it as "simple" after watching all of it.
    It's a coming of age story with guitar robots.
  • edited June 2007
    4. FLCL
    Asimplestory of a boy's journey to become a man.
    It's a coming of age story with guitar robots.
    Sure, but FLCL is complicated.

Take, for example, the fact that every character's relationship with the other completely turns around every episode in complicated combinations. You've got Naota being annoyed with Mamimi, then in love, then ignoring, then show-offish, then outbursting at her because of identity crisis. How 'bout Noata and his dad? They don't really get along, they pine after the same woman, then Noata murders him. He comes back to life and they finally understand eachother.

I could go on with these character pairings all day. And there is other complexity in areas other than character relationships. What about symbolism? There sure is a hell of a lot of that. There are also tons and tons of tiny details that can only be noticed with multiple watchings. There are also many layers to the story. You've got what is going on at the cosmic level, the government organizational level, the character level, and then everything that is going on inside the character's heads.

The bottom line is that FLCL is confusing the first time you watch it, and still complex as you watch it again and again to continue to decode the meanings.

I can only infer that you are enjoying it only at the most basic level. Characters aren't wearing giant eyebrows just because they look cool. There's stuff beyond the awesome fights and the comedy. Lots of stuff. And I can't imagine anyone who understands all these things could call this show simple. But maybe you are the first to have enough capacity to actually understand it the first time through =P
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2007
    My list, given in order:

1. Cowboy Bebop
    How Can you not include this in a top ten list?

2. Golgo 13
    These movies are so funny, and full of badass-ery.

3. Black Lagoon
    Great fairly new show that has all of the elements for success.

4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    This kind of explains itself.

5. Lupin the 3rd
    Funny show, it also has almost everything.

6. Outlaw Star
    Got me into anime when I saw it on Toonami a long time ago.

7. Gundam Seed
    Because I love robots and politics.

8. Case Closed
    Everyone loves a good who done it.

9. .hack series
    I'm not quite sure why I like these, but non-the-less they made the list.

10. Rurouni Kenshin OAV
    Kenshin is pretty bad ass.
    Post edited by Now84 on
  • I'm not even going to try and make an ordered list.

Nana
    Macross
    Cowboy Bebop
    Ranma 1/2
    Record of Lodoss War

I have seen far more bad anime than good.
  • Here it gose.

1. Tenchi Universe.

2. Tenchi Muyo. The new Muyo Esp. that came in 2003 are only OK. I would recommend that you want the old DVD to Muyo. The one's from 1992 show. That way you get some the best of Tenchi.

3. His and Her Circumstances.

4. Maison Ikkoku. The best love story in anime between adults.

5. Blue Seed.

6. Golden Boy.

7. Oh My Goddess.

8. Outlaw Star.

9. Boys Over Flowers.

10. Hellsing. The First OVA's show.
  • Here's my list, in no particular order:

Paranoia Agent
    Tokyo Godfathers
    FLCL
    Monoke Hime
    Pom Poko
    Cowboy Bebop
    Samurai Champloo
    Azumanga Daioh
    Paprika
    Millennium Actress.

Yes, I'm a hopeless Satoshi Kon fanboy. Sadly, I haven't gotten around to seeing Perfect Blue yet.
  • I don't watch anime a lot. But I am part of anime club. And again, I'm a young one so I don't really know anything before 1998....

1) Princess Tutu (It's repetitive, but I really like it!)

2) Rurouni Kenshin (Kick ass. 'nuff said.)

3) Inu-yasha (I know it's not the best, but it was the first anime I ever watched. It holds a place in my heart. ^_^)

4)Howl's Moving Castle. (A movie. I loved the characters!)

5) Fruits baskets

6) Cowboy Bebop

7) Yu-gi-oh! (Is that even considered an anime???? It was ok first season. And it was the first really geeky thing I got into. The second was Bayblade. I still have those toys!)

8) Shinigami no Ballad (Not the best. But I like some pretty crap things.)

9) Full metal alchemist

10) Avatar: The Last Air-bender (It's entertaining!)

I haven't seen a lot of things that are on some of your top 10 lists. I should watch some more! ^_^ But if Megatokyo was an anime, I think it would be on the top of my list.