This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Choosy Moms Choose Jiff...and it's a good thing

edited February 2007 in News
Salmonella is in ur peanut butter, givin u the shitz.

This has been all over the news, of course, but what I find interesting is the scope of the outbreak, and the alleged scope of contamination. I still find it perplexing just how the Sal wound up in the peanut butter, so the findings of ensuing investigations ought to be interesting.

What do you all think about this?

Comments

• *Shrug* Frankly I'm surprised that (especially considering the mass quantity we're dealing with in the U.S. of A.) our food supply is as clean and disease-free as it is. When you are producing billions of tons of food, there is bound to be something eventually wrong with the machinery, or cultures, hormones, chemicals, etc. Eventually, some form of disease or impurity will find its way into Peter Pan, spinach, beef, or scallions. As a nation, I think we've dealt with it quite responsibly.

On the other hand, if the terrorists wanted to win, they'd give up airplanes and machine guns and tamper with our food and water. There is nothing so unprotected as the thousands of suburban water towers in America, and I have a hard time believing that our food processing plants are high-security. Maybe they are. I don't know. But they are certainly less protected than the huge targets that we obsess over -- the nuclear power plants, the football stadiums, the White House, Wall Street. I'm glad we're dealing with none-so-bright terrorists.
  • I know I have heard little else about it since my co-worker happens to be a peanut butter addict and had a jar of Peter Pan Peanut Butter (No Jelly!) from the original batch that was stated, before they escalated the estimate to include all jars in the past several years. I find it very interesting that they were telling people to throw out the jars, which for legal reasons (and potentially medical ones) is problematic as you lose the proof which shows that one is in possession of a contaminated jar. Definitely a big issue for those wanting to jump on the class-action suit bandwagon.

I think there was also a separate web site which recommended storing any contaminated jar(s) in ziploc-ed storage and in a cool, dry place, but I'm too lazy to look for a link right now.
  • This is why I eat Skippy. Peter Pan has always tasted like ass.
  • Crunchy ftw! If you like smooth/creamy/whatever they call it, you are teh suck.
  • Crunchy ftw! If you like smooth/creamy/whatever they call it, you are teh suck.
    I get the creamy if it is brand-name processed peanut butter. Crunchy Skippy is no good. However, the best peanut butter is if you can get fresh chunky peanut butter. If you go to a fair or a grocery that makes its own peanut butter, that is the best you can get.
  • The natual peanut butters are good, but they need to be stored in the fridge or a pool of peanut oil will develop on the top.

I usually buy store brand peanut butter.
  • I eat the smooth Skippy. Why people pay extra for peanuts that are only partially mashed up us beyond me.
  • I'm with WIP. If it don't go crunch, it ain't good enough for lunch.
  • I'm all about smooth peanut butter.

And I do in fact eat Jiff. Good stuff.
  • Jif peanut butter is spelled with one "f".
  • You win this time, Gadget.
  • Choosy bacteria choose, Jif!! Crunchy is teh suck and not good for my braces.
  • I'm pretty sure that down here, We've got a cleaning Product Called Jiff.