This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I bought a 360 yesterday...

2»

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Unlike other people, video games aren't the only thing in my life. I can live for quite awhile without my game console. I'll take the free option.
    Yeah, I'm sure, lol, and of course we all can live without game consoles. Of course we're not going to die, but that's not the point. Having to wait a month, compared to a few minutes to get your xbox replaced, or anything important for that matter, is spectacular. Besides, you paid $400 for your console, and you should have the option of playing it any time, and $40 isn't too bad if you think about it. Not to mention, you'd be spending even more on a PS3.
    People really have to learn that no analogy is perfect. If an analogy were perfect, it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be the thing you're talking about. Just because an analogy isn't perfect doesn't mean an argument is not valid.
    So analogies don't have to be exact, I agree, and it's silly to argue about them in my opinion. But when you completely take them out of context and they make no sense at all, then other people can point them out. Plus, that paragraph you commented on of mine had less to do with the subject of your analogy and more to do with the idea of the exclusiveness of gaming systems. For example, you can't buy a Wii, because your Xbox broke, and expect it to be capable of playing your 360 games. If you want to play the titles you have currently, you have to stick with your original console.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • I thought this thread was about the Xbox 360...

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is hellishly difficult. It combines the gritty, one-shot-kills-you difficulty of Ghost Recon with the shooter classic one-man-versus-a-million. But in this case you get 4...and your three friends are the dumbest sons of bitches ever.

I mean, has there ever been an FPS with NPC's who didn't suck? Ever?

And this is on a PC. I can't imagine playing GRAW on an Xbox 360. I mean, all shooters on all consoles suck, completely, eternally, and unforgivably, and anyone who plays shooters on a console is an insulting to gaming, and sucks at life. That being said, I can hardly imagine a tougher shooter-on-a-console experience than GRAW, unless they ruin it (like they do every other game of this genre) by giving you auto-aim.

Auto-aim in a shooter is like auto-piece-moving in Chess. It completely defeats the fucking purpose. But how else could GRAW be playable?

As for other games on the 360...I don't think there's a single one worth playing that isn't coming out for PC. I'm pretty excited about Assassin's Creed, but I'm still going to try before I buy, since 99% of games play nothing like their previews and look nothing like their bullshots. Of course, Assassin's Creed will come out for PC. Then there's Oblivion, a game ruined by its focus on the console instead of the PC which made its predecessor awesome. Then there's...are there any other games for 360?

So yeah...360 sucks. Sorry. =(
  • I shun you for supporting a bad company that works on thievery and Stealing of Tech.

Microsoft is a company that doesn't use innovations and new ideas.

But most of all, good luck when it heats up and melts into a pile of molten crap.

Nothing against you personality dude.
    Actually, the 360 is soooo much better than the Wii. Better games, Downloadable content. oh and Halo 3.
  • But in this case you get 4...and your three friends are the dumbest sons of bitches ever.
    Funny story about that:

On the last mission, I said to myself: "shit, I bet there's going to be a helicopter", so I specifically loaded my team out with a rocket-launcher-dude. When we got to the part with the helicopter (yeah, that's right) my rocket-guy stood there drooling on himself while I shot it down with an M60. Tedious work, I assure you.

Fast forward to the end boss fight. You're fighting from a range of around, oh, 500 yards towards a half-destroyed building, the end boss shooting from the exposed structure. No sooner does he appear on my radar then the rockets-red-glare come streaming over my head. Then I realize: from a distance of 500 yards my rocket-solider has sniped out the end boss with an RPG.

Pass on this one.

Do, however, pick up a copy of Call of Duty 4. The single player was most certainly worth playing, and the multiplayer was even fun, in that kind-of-reminds-me-of-counter-strike kind of way. Just avoid the hardest difficulty. It was too bloody hard.
  • edited June 2008
    Also, with the proper software it can be a pretty good media playing device. It'll play back Divx AVIs and M4A's, though without a Windows machine around you'll be hard pressed to get network streaming to work. USB memory sticks make a pretty good fallback, or if you're adventurous I have a patched copy of x360mediaserve I've been beating on in my spare time that'll stream audio, video and pictures to your xbox from any OS (it's Java based).
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • Call of Duty 5 is coming.
  • edited June 2008
    Call of Duty 5 is coming.
    True, though I can't tell you how much I don't care about another WW2 game. Half the reason I enjoyed CoD4 was getting to fire something other than a Thompson or an MP44.

Edit: MP40, sorry.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • Call of Duty 5 is coming.
    True, though I can't tell you how much I don't care aboutanotherWW2 game. Half the reason I enjoyed CoD4 was getting to fire something other than a Thompson or an MP44.

Edit: MP40, sorry.
    I still have the Squad Leader PC game to finish!

I played a little bit of COD4 when the review copy came in but I don't have a 360. The little bit I did play was impressive and much better than the Halo game.
  • edited June 2008
    I still have the Squad Leader PC game to finish!

I played a little bit of COD4 when the review copy came in but I don't have a 360. The little bit I did play was impressive and much better than the Halo game.
    Fuck you, Halo is so much more polished and perfected. COD4 got boring after about a week, then it got frustrating. COD4 is full of glitches and lags and unbalanced weapons. In halo, They were able to balance it all out, to prevent the Machine Gun spraying noobs from mowing you down.

edit: Halo 3, and maybe 2
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • True, though I can't tell you how much I don't care aboutanotherWW2 game. Half the reason I enjoyed CoD4 was getting to fire something other than a Thompson or an MP44.
    But it's in Asia! It looks to be a WW2 game that doesn't feature the Normandy landing. Surely that counts for something?
  • Fuck you, Halo is so much more polished and perfected.
    My my, someone's a pretty devoted fan.
    But it's in Asia! It looks to be a WW2 game that doesn't feature the Normandy landing. Surely that counts for something?
    Despite my earlier ragging? It's probably counts for around 60 of my dollars. ;)
  • Wow, I just got an email today (legit) telling me I won an Xbox 360 and a copy of the Alone in the Dark game. I had forgotten about the contest.

I have no idea which version of the 360 I'll be getting but free is free.

How much are used 360 controllers going for these days? Are there any "party" games for the 360?
  • edited June 2008
    Viva Pinata: Party Animals is the one that comes to my mind. Haven't played it though.
    A new wireless controller is $40 at amazon.com, so GameStop will probably sell them for $35....
    Wired ones are $30.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited June 2008
    I just checked the "contest" page and it is an "Exclusive AitD Xbox 360". No pictures were on the page.
    Anyone know anything about this? I tried searching for it on Yahoo and Google but even the search result pages were blocked by my work filter!

What's the deal with DVD playback on the 360? Do I need the remote or can a controller be used for the menus? Does it do upscaling via the HDMI? If it can replace my DVD player I would be very happy.

Does the 360 have IE installed on it? Can you use the NetFlix on-demand video service through it?

Once it comes in I'll have to put a LAN drop behind my TV cabinet for it.

EDIT: NetFlix is go!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Wow, I just got an email today (legit) telling me I won an Xbox 360 and a copy of theAlone in the Darkgame. I had forgotten about the contest.

I have no idea which version of the 360 I'll be getting but free is free.

How much are used 360 controllers going for these days? Are there any "party" games for the 360?
    Although it may seem the 360's light on party games (most multiplayer games focus on online play), consider the marketplace. For $10 (or less), you can get something that's easy to pick up and has 4 player local play. A couple of recommendations (which I've picked up when friends were over) include:
    Aegis Wing (Hey, it's free!)
    Bomberman Live
    Carcassonne
    N+
    Small Arms
    Worms (Haven't tried this out yet, though)

Also, no, there isn't any IE on Xbox 360. However, you do not need a remote for DVD playback.
  • Bomberman Live
    This is a great game. I really enjoy how when you can customized the outfits of Bomberman as well as some of the courses. I wish there was more customization of the bombs and power-ups you can have. Otherwise, this is an extremely fun party game.
  • What is the deal with XBox live? Is there a free version or what? Do they still have the differing levels of membership?
  • What is the deal with XBox live? Is there a free version or what? Do they still have the differing levels of membership?
    Yes. Silver is the free version, where you can download free stuff and still connect with friends. Gold version is where you purchase a membership and are able to play online versus others, iirc.
  • Can I play games against friends with Silver?
    I don't think so, however you might want to look that up. You can add friends and send them messages with Silver.
  • No you have to have Gold to play online. However it's worth it, costs £39.99 for 12 months and the service is top notch most of the time. Get a good group of mates together as well from forums you go on and it becomes a bargain, as you get to enjoy the games and don't have to put up with American Teenagers/Pre Teens.
    I had some points spare today after getting some points for the COD4 map pack and got Ticket To Ride on XBOX Arcade as it seemed like quite a good game, hope I haven't just wasted 800 points.
  • I just got a clarification. Turns out Atari failed to to ship out the "exclusive AitD Xbox360" so it will just be a standard one. No word on which level but I expect it to be the lowest level. Free is free so I'm not complaining.

Is there anything the lowest level can not be upgraded to do? My understanding is that unlike the PS3 even the lowest level 360 is the same inside as the highest level. The only difference being the Hard drive and included peripherals.
  • I just got a clarification. Turns out Atari failed to to ship out the "exclusive AitD Xbox360" so it will just be a standard one. No word on which level but I expect it to be the lowest level. Free is free so I'm not complaining.

Is there anything the lowest level can not be upgraded to do? My understanding is that unlike the PS3 even the lowest level 360 is the same inside as the highest level. The only difference being the Hard drive and included peripherals.
    Thats right, if it is the core one all you need to buy really is a hardrive, and you will need the hardrive if you want to do anything fun with the 360.
    I don't think so, however you might want to look that up. You can add friends and send them messages with Silver.
    No, you need gold for that. It's like $20 bucks for 3 months. If the Wii had that kind of online, It would gladly pay $30 for 3 months. But Wii online is a joke.

You also get a month free of gold when you first sign up for an account on Live.
  • I often get 1 month free cards with the games that I buy. I would glady give you the code from the back of them if you'd like (assuming the ones I've got haven't expired).
  • No, you need gold for that. It's like $20 bucks for 3 months.
    Actually, if you go to pretty much any brick-and-mortar store (Wal-Mart, Target, et al.) you can get a pre-paid Gold membership card for just a hair under $50. Said card is good for 13 months of Gold membership, which beats the heck out of the three-month membership cost and nets you usage of all the Gold-level membership benefits. Gold-level gets you online play, game matchmaking based on skill level (so you won't get your ass handed to you at Halo by some fratboy who has nothing better to do than play games all day), the ability to chat with more than one person at a time, and you can get demos and preview content from the Xbox Live marketplace before the Silver-level people do. Other features like the XBox Live Vision camera (basically a webcam for the 360) require a Gold subscription to work properly.

If you're going to go for the Gold membership, I suggest doing it the pre-paid way, that way you don't end up with yet another subscription cost to deal with (they can auto-bill it to your credit card on a yearly basis). I would also suggest doing the same for the Live Marketplace points so you don't accidentally go ape downloading content that will end up costing you a lot of money. :)

Also, if you're going to go for the hard-drive, get the big one. If you plan on doing any kind of downloadable media it's going to be a must-have.
  • edited July 2008
    Can I play games against friends with Silver?
    Gold = multiplayer

:(

Sorry to say Steve, but Alone in the Dark is total butt. :( But as you said. Free is free.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • edited July 2008
    I take it there is no way to plat games such as TF2 online without gold membership? Even if you want to use your own server?

I just watched a review of AitD on the 260 and all I can say is, "I think the Wii version will be great."
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on