This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oh no! My gatorade! My frog!

2»

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Fucking really? They went there? I shouldn't be surprised, but dammit.
    Well, they do have a point from a global perspective.
    They don't point out that many of those refigerators are not actually OWNED by the families, but rather are provided by landlords. They do not go with the family when they move out. It is almost impossible to find an apartment to rent these days that does NOT come with a fridge. The argument that just because you are not living in a mud hut with no clean water for half a mile means you are not in poverty is dumb; poverty is a standard defined by societal norms, and really where can you find a decent mud hut in America?

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Fucking really? They went there? I shouldn't be surprised, but dammit.
    They don't point out that many of those refigerators are not actually OWNED by the families, but rather are provided by landlords. They do not go with the family when they move out. It is almost impossible to find an apartment to rent these days that does NOT come with a fridge. The argument that just because you are not living in a mud hut with no clean water for half a mile means you are not in poverty is dumb; poverty is a standard defined by societal norms, and really where can you find a decent mud hut in America?

Mud Huts 'R' Us.
  • Fucking really? They went there? I shouldn't be surprised, but dammit.
    Mud Huts 'R' Us.
    Blah, those are all cheap Chinese crap.
  • "People’s Co-op, Portland, Oregon" THIS

I am now aggressively job hunting in Portland. If I end up there, I'm all OVER that place.
  • That image looks fake BTW
  • spent $15,000 saving my dog's life.
    Goddamn dude. I realize that you probably have your own reasons for spending that much on a dog but whoa. If my cat was gonna cost me more than $1000 in medical fees I would just say goodbye.
  • Is there life insurance available for pets?
    I was thinking about that too, but something tells me the answer is no.
    It's possible to insure against vet's bills and the like, but I don't think life insurance for pets exists, at least, the pop-your-clogs-get-a-payout way you see in Human life insurance.
  • spent $15,000 saving my dog's life.
    Goddamn dude. I realize that you probably have your own reasons for spending that much on a dog but whoa. If my cat was gonna cost me more than $1000 in medical fees I would just say goodbye.
    Molly is only slightly below my two daughters in terms of the regard I have for her and her life. I'm not saying it was a financially smart thing to do, but we still had to do it.

I don't think pet insurance would have covered her due to her pre-existing condition (drug-resistant demodectic mange).

• edited June 2012
    I think anyone not willing to go that far for a pet does not deserve to have one. It seems to me that most people think of pets more as a toy to take care of until they get too expensive or difficult to manage then get rid of them or put them down. To me a pet is part of your family, not something to be tossed aside if they becomes a hastle.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • edited June 2012
    I think anyone not willing to go that far for a pet does not deserve to have one. It seems to me that most people think of pets more as a toy to take care of until they get too expensive or difficult to manage then get rid of them or put them down. To me a pet is part of your family, not something to be tossed aside if they becomes a hastle.
    On the contrary I don't think that way at all. I love my pets very much. Both my parents thought I should become a vet with how much I love animals. I just have a different view of animals from humans.

The point I'm making are some people are willing to do anything for their pets and some are not. Spending exorbitant amounts of money to save an animal is usually an indication that the animal will not have a normal life afterwards. Humans can often make decisions in this instance and when they can't it falls on the shoulders of their immediate family. Since an animal cannot make the choice and animals don't often understand impairments well it is best to let them go when their lives are affected so much. At least that's the way I view it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'd have euthanized her if treatment was only going to buy her a short time. As it stands, she'll almost certainly live the normal Berner span of 9 years. She's gonna be 5 next month. Our birthdays are two days apart. :-)
  • That image looks fake BTW
    That's probably cause 24hr news channels always have the crappiest graphic designs and stuff. But anyway yes it's real and the whole segment is actually worse. http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201107190025
  • I mean the funny part is that I totally agree with saying "poor Americans actually have it really great!!" if you take a legit global look at it, but the simple fact is that this is Fox and they mean "the poor have so much so we shouldn't have government assistance programs"
  • edited June 2012
    I've always thought of pets as part of the family, so it stands to reason if you would try to save a family member, you would try to save the doggy too. I would go a long way to save a dog or a bunny that I had bonded with; they are one of the most important things in my life. I am not against the euthanasia of a terminally ill pet, because I often think that since you can't explain why you are prolonging their suffering with chemo for a few months, it is actually nicer to the animal to give them a dignified death. However, if they are young and can be saved by effort, I will make that effort to the best of my abilities. My first bunny had calcium overdose in his urinary system and had to be given Sub-cutaneous fluids at home by my parents for weeks. (It is very hard it is to give injections to a pet!) He lived happily for many years afterward. I've had rats that had tumors removed and a bunny that went to the pet emergency room for stitches. Medical care for my charges is one of the big expenditures I save up for on my limited budget.
    Post edited by gomidog on