This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Penn Jillette show cancelled

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
Uh... today he announced that this (March 2) episode is the last. What the hell?

Comments

• I haven't heard it yet, but are you sure it wasn't a joke? I've been enjoying Pull of the Weasel Fridays far too much for them to cancel now.
  • Eh... I'd basically stopped listening about a month and a half ago, so I can't say that I'm too concerned. ^_~
  • edited March 2007
    Actually, I'm glad. It was a good show, but I haven't listened to it in months. Eventually it just became the same tired stuff over and over again. Penn Jillette told all of his awesome stories to the world, and now he has nothing else to say. Goudeau, despite being a cool guy, never seemed to have anything to say at all. The only episodes worth listening to were ones where they did interviews with people. Even those episodes were not worth it because I have other, better, podcasts I still haven't listened to.

There is a hidden meaning in the saying "all good things come to an end." If something goes on forever, it isn't any good.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've been listening to it everyday and I've pretty much enjoyed all of them. So I'm pretty disappointed.
  • I drive by his house all the time. He needs to focus on what he does best....MAGIC!
  • I, too, have been listening pretty steadily, and enjoyed it greatly. The interviews with the moon landing conspiracy nut were interesting, and James Randi was very good. I'll be sad to see it go.
  • I am in the same position as Apreche. I haven't listened in months because the show really lost it's power after listening to so many episodes.
  • Now that I think about the show, I think its #1 problem was that it was a podcast. Most of the listeners were podcast listeners. Those listeners didn't provide any revenue to the show because they didn't hear ads. They just cost the show money. The only way the podcast could help the show is if podcast listeners were enticed to listen live on the radio. Of course, that's not going to happen. If anything, radio listeners will switch to being podcast listeners.

However, if I think about the show in the context of listening in the car, it would be awesome. If podcasts didn't exist, this would have been the best thing to listen to during a commute, hands down. The repetition is less of a big deal because you hardly ever hear an entire radio show, beginning to end, on a commute. The lesson to learn is that if you do a podcast, do a podcast. Putting stuff designed for live terrestrial broadcast on the Internets isn't going to work. Just like putting broadcast TV shows on YouTube or bittorrent won't work.
  • I've never listened to Penn Jilette before. Should I listen to at least one episode? I know some of you don't enjoy it and say, "It' s lost its charm." ????
  • I really like the episodes with Glibert Gottfried, that guy's voice just slays me! But like Apreche, I kind of lost my interest in the show.

ZoraWii: You could check out the earlier Monkey Tuesday eps or some of the interview episodes with stand-up comedians.
  • he lesson to learn is that if you do a podcast, do a podcast. Putting stuff designed for live terrestrial broadcast on the Internets isn't going to work. Just like putting broadcast TV shows on YouTube or bittorrent won't work.
    Are you talking about a content level or a revenue level?

Because a lot of networks are streaming TV shows on their websites for free with some commercials (significantly less).
  • he lesson to learn is that if you do a podcast, do a podcast. Putting stuff designed for live terrestrial broadcast on the Internets isn't going to work. Just like putting broadcast TV shows on YouTube or bittorrent won't work.
    Are you talking about a content level or a revenue level?

Because a lot of networks are streaming TV shows on their websites for free with some commercials (significantly less).
    Both, but mostly content. For example. Howard Stern's show would not work so well as a podcast. If you were listening to the entire show, beginning to end, every day, it wouldn't work.
  • For example. Howard Stern's show would not work so well as a podcast. If you were listening to the entire show, beginning to end, every day, it wouldn't work.
    I wish he would do some kind of podcast, even with a small subscription fee, because the portable Sirius unit is mega expensive and I spend most of my day away from the house. I know I'm hardly the average podcast listener though.
  • I'll miss it but I won't be writing letters to try to save it or anything.